[SOLVED] Nvidia GT730 fan question

Aug 30, 2021
I was doing some checking on GPU-Z and the fan RPM on my GT730 is showing 0 RPM, even when I am playing Second Life, is showing a fan RPM of 0. Shouldn't the fan RPM go up as I put a load on it? GPU temp, showed 38*C last time I was playing, before game froze and crashed.

Solution
Yup, now I'm nearly 100% sure it's a fake. The scammer was sloppy. They didn't use the proper model name for a Gigabyte GT 730 on the sticker and didn't make the effort to print out a clock consistent with a GT 730. No Gigabyte GT 730s are clocked at 810 MHz, but what did have 810 MHz clocks? A GT 440. See no other conclusion but that someone repurposed some GT 440 PCBs with a $2 shroud and a cheaply printed sticker + box. I wonder if it was even reprogrammed to read out the correct specs other than changed to GT 730.

It sucks, but on the plus side, a GT 440 isn't really that much worse than a GT 730, just older driver support. There's likely little recourse at this point, unfortunately; no one should ever buy a GPU on Facebook...
What exact GT 730? If you have a passive cooled one like
asus-gt730-sl-2gd3-brk-large.jpg

you always see zero RPM.

DSzymborski

Titan
Yeah, I can't recall anything with that shroud, so it looks a bit sketchy to me.

OP, can you link where you got this or provide something more? You had to buy it at some point and we have very little to work with here. The GPU-Z image is unreadably small -- I just saw the eye doctor and still am not close to needing glasses, so I don't think it's me -- and there's nothing in that GPU image but the shroud.

Aug 30, 2021
Yeah, I can't recall anything with that shroud, so it looks a bit sketchy to me.

OP, can you link where you got this or provide something more? You had to buy it at some point and we have very little to work with here. The GPU-Z image is unreadably small -- I just saw the eye doctor and still am not close to needing glasses, so I don't think it's me -- and there's nothing in that GPU image but the shroud.

Was bought on Facebook marketplace from a friend. Was in factory sealed Nvidia box, and the card itself was also sealed up in it's protective bag with the factory seal in place. I took card out of my machine, for better photos and looked at the circuit board, at lower corner it said Gigabyte.

Photo of card:
https://link.shutterfly.com/bbb7i9pdVjb

The box:
https://link.shutterfly.com/SlccxoudVjb

DSzymborski

Titan
Yup, now I'm nearly 100% sure it's a fake. The scammer was sloppy. They didn't use the proper model name for a Gigabyte GT 730 on the sticker and didn't make the effort to print out a clock consistent with a GT 730. No Gigabyte GT 730s are clocked at 810 MHz, but what did have 810 MHz clocks? A GT 440. See no other conclusion but that someone repurposed some GT 440 PCBs with a $2 shroud and a cheaply printed sticker + box. I wonder if it was even reprogrammed to read out the correct specs other than changed to GT 730.

It sucks, but on the plus side, a GT 440 isn't really that much worse than a GT 730, just older driver support. There's likely little recourse at this point, unfortunately; no one should ever buy a GPU on Facebook Marketplace unless it's literally from someone they know personally.

Reactions: Remeca
Solution
Aug 30, 2021

It sucks, but on the plus side, a GT 440 isn't really that much worse than a GT 730, just older driver support. There's likely little recourse at this point, unfortunately; no one should ever buy a GPU on Facebook Marketplace unless it's literally from someone they know personally.

I would put the Radeon RX560 I have back in, but it kept giving me Windows code 43 when the video drivers would attempt to install. If I could solve that I'd be good to go

DSzymborski

Titan
I did some googling today, about how to spot a fake Nvidia card.(so I would know what to look for) I found, that the latest version of GPU-Z (2.43.0, which I have) is able to detect whether a card is fake, See attached screenshot of the info I googled):

https://link.shutterfly.com/FGFW7i0zYjb

As can be seen in the screen shot of GPU-Z I also took, it is not reporting it as fake:
https://link.shutterfly.com/A4M3by5zYjb

It's a fake. GPU-Z can detect a positive, but a negative doesn't "clear" it because they don't spend 24 hours a day tracking down every obscure fake that is being sold. Just like a PSU tester can only identify a dead PSU and not a malfunctioning one, only GPU-Z positives are meaningful.

But, if you choose to believe that the GPU with the wrong PCB, the wrong specs, a fake serial number, the wrong shroud, found in the wrong box, that was bought from a place notorious for fake GPUs, and isn't even working properly, is, in fact, a real GPU, that's your prerogative.

Reactions: dotas1 and Tac 25