Question Nvidia GT920m performing worse than Intel Graphics 4400 in User Benchmark, Weird Performance inside Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 12, 2020
Hello my dears,

I am having a weird problem with my system, mainly with the dedicated GPU. It behaves very unnatural, for example I get low fps in League Of Legends no matter the settings I use, I am experiencing what I could only describe as micro frame stutters, lots of them almost every second, making the game seem like it's running in slow motion sometimes (with every setting as low as possible and v-sync on).

I also configured the game to run on the dedicated GPU and I got the same results.

With v-sync off (at any given graphics setting) there is screen tearing across the screen and every frame is doubled in a weird way and it's unplayable.

The same effect I get in Hearthstone but almost non visible.

From the User Benchmark Gpu results, I observed something hillarious and totally wrong with the dedicated gpu, mainly it appears that it's performing worse than the integrated gpu. I have no idea what is wrong, I was using the default windows 10 driver for the dedicated gpu and I've experienced the strange behaviour.

Here are the Benchmark results:

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/35330540

Check this screenshot as well: https://prnt.sc/vi7cjj

My Specs:

Laptop Model: Acer Aspire E5-573G
Ram: 4GB DDR3
Memory: 256GB SSD from Kingston
CPU: Intel Core i5-4200U
Integrated GPU: Intel Graphics 4400 (Driver version: The one Windows 10 installed by default)
Dedicated GPU: Nvidia Gefore GT 920m (Driver version: Latest Geforce Experience Drivers)
OS: Windows 10 Home, 64 bits, UEFI, fresh install, latest update

I must say, I had a similar setup before that, the only difference being that it had a slighty better cpu, a 5200U and it was a Lenovo Ideapad 100 80QQ but same dedicated gpu and I had no problems running most of the games, including League of Legends, this being less than an year ago. I expected this machine to work similary but instead I am experiencing very poor results with almost the same configuration.

Does anyone have any idea what is wrong with my setup?

Last edited:

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
Not using nvidia drivers? Windows doesn't have drivers for that discrete gpu that I know of other than VGA basics, there'll be none of the 3d stuff the gpu will be looking for.

Starting with Windows Version 1803 OS Build 17134, Nvidia supplies DCH drivers "Microsofts new universal Windows driver package" and the only difference between those and a standard package is the lack of Nvidia control panel. These drivers though may not be the latest but so far they are within 6 months of the current releases.

Nov 12, 2020
Disable the HD4400, it sounds like it's ignoring the 920m.
Uhm, what do you mean by disable it? From what I know it's not possible to disable it, and even if I select the dedicated GPU as the main preffered device I have the same problem. In Gpu-Z it shows that the game is using the dedicated one as well but I have no idea what is going on.

Nov 12, 2020
So I did just that, disabled the Intel GPU from device manager, launched lol, and Gpu usage is 100% in game, this is what GPU-Z reads shows:
vgd.png

It looks that the gpu is working at half of its power or something.
The laptop is connected to the power source and I have set the performance to better performance (Windows 10's default).

Uh, this gpu should be able to run the game at max settings with no troubles but it performs very poorly even at lowest settings.

Nov 12, 2020
Also, the gpu's clock is stucked to those values when in-game in both MSI and Gpu-Z
Screenshot-3.png

Screenshot-4.png

I already have prefer maximum perfomance set in nvidia control panel (it worked again after re-enabling the iGPU).

I can see that you are definetely thermal throttling in your system. If the GPU has the same cooling solution with the CPU then both of them are thermal throttling. When that happens, the CPU/GPU lower the clocks to not overheat. You need to clean your laptop from dust and buy a cooling base.

Nov 12, 2020
I can see that you are definetely thermal throttling in your system. If the GPU has the same cooling solution with the CPU then both of them are thermal throttling. When that happens, the CPU/GPU lower the clocks to not overheat. You need to clean your laptop from dust and buy a cooling base.

Uh, I recently went with my laptop to someone in order to replace the HDD with the SSD. There is no dust in the machine. Also, it's not throtling it's staying at the exact same frequency when inside games, without any fluctuation. It's going at normal values when I launch the games and shortly after it goes back to the same values.

Yeah... That's thermal throttling. When you start the game the temperatures are lower. When they get high enough to hit the thermal point of throttling, it starts to lower the clocks to cool down and not damage anything.

You can replace the thermal paste of cpu and gpu (I would advise to take it to a repair shop if you are not familiar with the process).

Also a cooling pad would help if it's decent.

Nov 12, 2020
I recently had to open the laptop to replace the HDD with the SSD and there was no dust inside. Right now I am not even sure if the gpu is even orking at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.