[SOLVED] Nvidia gtx 1050 ti fps drops and lagging

Aug 7, 2022
Hey, I have an issue with my graphic card. I have Nvidia gtx 1050 ti and I have fps drops and laggin with old and new games like Apex legends, Wolfenstein, Half-Life 2 etc.
I set MSI afterburner overclocking on: Core clock (MHz) +150, Memory clock (MHz) +650. I made the best options on Nvidia control panel and I still have GPU usage on 30%, fps drops and lagging.
My setup is: Processor - Intel core i3-7100 (3,90 GHz)
RAM - 8GB
Windows 10 (version 21H2)
PSU - 550W

I will appreciate every help, thank you

Last edited:
Solution
I checked my motherboard info and it shows me that I have to update it and I have to ask, if I have USB driver with some files on it and then download BIOS on it and try to update my PC with it, will my other files affect BIOS update? I know its confusing

No, it should be absolutely fine. Simply create a folder called 'Bios' or something. Unpack the bios file to that folder. Boot into your bios, and choose the update bios from usb, then locate the file, and let it run. Important note: Make sure you do not interrupt the bios update. let it complete and restart.

Lutfij

Titan
PSU - 550W
550W is the advertised wattage of the unit. You will need to identify the unit with the aid of the sticker on said unit.

+ A PC is built around more than just a PSU, processor and GPU. Please add the other parts' make and model.

Aug 7, 2022
PSU - 550W
550W is the advertised wattage of the unit. You will need to identify the unit with the aid of the sticker on said unit.

+ A PC is built around more than just a PSU, processor and GPU. Please add the other parts' make and model.

Motherboard - MSI Z270 PC mate
Monitor - BenQ RL2455 (60Hz), Its plugged with HDMI cable into graphic card

Oh, well what should I do? I cant buy new CPU so, what to do to make the biggest performance of my CPU?
You are very limited in what you can do if you encounter a CPU bottleneck, unless there are some graphical settings that can reduce the load on the CPU. They are very old games though, I'm amazed they would struggle on a Kaby Lake chip.

Things to check:

1. Does your CPU run consistently at 3.9Ghz when playing games?
  2. When your system is idle on the desktop and you have nothing open except task manager, what CPU usage does it show? I've had situations on dual core machines where there's something constantly doing something in the background and it leaves you with only 1 core for your game,

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Consistently at 3.9Ghz? What do you mean?
So the base frequency of your i3 7100 is 3.9Ghz, that means it should be able to run at that speed under a sustained load. Sometimes when there is an issue with cooling for example, the CPU can throttle to a much lower frequency to reduce temperature therefore affecting performance. Unlikely to be the problem in your case but I would double check nothing weird is happening just to rule it out.

Aug 7, 2022
So the base frequency of your i3 7100 is 3.9Ghz, that means it should be able to run at that speed under a sustained load. Sometimes when there is an issue with cooling for example, the CPU can throttle to a much lower frequency to reduce temperature therefore affecting performance. Unlikely to be the problem in your case but I would double check nothing weird is happening just to rule it out.
I it good or bad that my CPU have usage between 2-90%? Like every 2 seconds its different (Once its 2%, then 7%. then 5%, then 80% etc)?

I it good or bad that my CPU have usage between 2-90%? Like every 2 seconds its different (Once its 2%, then 7%. then 5%, then 80% etc)?
So a certain amount of fluctuation at idle is to be expected as there are background processes to run. For example 1-10% would be fairly typical. If it's regularly jumping to 80% usage at idle when you have nothing else open, so no chrome browsers or whatever else. Then that suggests something is running, have a look on the details tab of Task Manager and order by CPU usage to see what's doing it.

Now it could be a one off, but if you were playing a game and something else demanded a lot of CPU power then it would cause the poor performance you describe.

The harsh reality here, is that you have a weak CPU, a weak GPU, and 8gbs of ram. Your system is not designed to play modern games. The whole system is a bottleneck. Purely only entry level.

if you want better results you need to upgrade your system. No amount of tweaking will make your experience better.

Last edited:
The harsh reality here, is that you have a weak CPU, a weak GPU, and 7gbs of ram. Your system is not designed to play modern games. The whole system is a bottleneck. Purely only entry level.

if you want better results you need to upgrade your system. No amount of tweaking will make your experience better.
I would tend to agree but the only modern game he's mentioned is Apex Legends.

That is true, but at 1080p the the 1050ti is going to struggle above medium settings on any semi-modern game. The 2c/4t CPU is just underwhelming for anything even in the last few years apart from very lightly threaded gaming.

The CPU is running out of host processing resource, the ram is probably maxing out, and the 1050ti is just basic now. All lead to stuttering and crappy gameplay.

Can't sugar coat this one.

Aug 7, 2022
Well I played Detroit: Become human few weeks ago and I had it on 40-55 fps
So I tried to play now and check my CPU and GPU usage (Wolfenstein: Old blood and The Forest)
It showed me at The Forest - CPU 60-75%, GPU - 90-100% and Wolfenstein: Old blood - CPU 60-70%, GPU 27-32% with some fps drops
I dont know what to do but I guess I wont play the newest games

So I tried to play now and check my CPU and GPU usage (Wolfenstein: Old blood and The Forest)
It showed me at The Forest - CPU 60-75%, GPU - 90-100% and Wolfenstein: Old blood - CPU 60-70%, GPU 27-32% with some fps drops
Oh ok, unfortunately Detroit: Become human is going to really struggle on that hardware. It really wants a 4 core/8 thread i7, Wolfenstein Old Blood was also intended for quad core i5 CPU's.

As @keith12 suggests, anything remotely recent is going to struggle.

I'm sorry, we aren't trying to be cruel, but rather just giving you the best advice we can give, so that ultimately you get the best options.

Just in case it's not been covered already, are all system drivers, and GPU drivers up to date? Have you the most recent bios? Because sometimes a bios update can resolve hardware issues, specially with Ram and GPU's.

Also worth looking at your Windows power profile and make sure it's on 'high performance setting'.

If after you're sure everything is up to date and you still have the same issues, then you know you need a system upgrade (new CPU/GPU/Ram/Mobo - Possibly PSU).

Aug 7, 2022
I'm sorry, we aren't trying to be cruel, but rather just giving you the best advice we can give, so that ultimately you get the best options.

Just in case it's not been covered already, are all system drivers, and GPU drivers up to date? Have you the most recent bios? Because sometimes a bios update can resolve hardware issues, specially with Ram and GPU's.

Also worth looking at your Windows power profile and make sure it's on 'high performance setting'.

If after you're sure everything is up to date and you still have the same issues, then you know you need a system upgrade (new CPU/GPU/Ram/Mobo - Possibly PSU).
I know you are not trying to be cruel, it was just some info. Okay I just checked my system information and I guess I have to update BIOS

Aug 7, 2022
Cool! Check the other things also, because they could really impact your machine. You can also try toggle on/off Windows Game Mode and see if that helps too.
I checked my motherboard info and it shows me that I have to update it and I have to ask, if I have USB driver with some files on it and then download BIOS on it and try to update my PC with it, will my other files affect BIOS update? I know its confusing

No, it should be absolutely fine. Simply create a folder called 'Bios' or something. Unpack the bios file to that folder. Boot into your bios, and choose the update bios from usb, then locate the file, and let it run. Important note: Make sure you do not interrupt the bios update. let it complete and restart.

Solution
Aug 7, 2022
Okay, everything is okay and normal but I need to ask where can I find Shader cache in Nvidia control panel? I tried to find it but I cant see it. I also tried to remove DirectX Shader cache from driver and I still cant find it. Would u know?