[SOLVED] NVIDIA GTX 1050 TI support 144hz with a HDMI port?

Sep 1, 2020
My laptop has a NVIDIA GTX 1050 TI in it, and im looking to get a 144hz monitor. The current monitor I have (144 Hz) does not support 144hz when using a HDMI for some reason, and I just want to make sure it's not my GPU causing the problem since it's on the older side.

Solution
No idea what Hdmi version it has. It might be 2 but have a feeling it's 1.4.

Before buying a monitor, need to try one in store if you can, a model known to be capable of doing 120Hz+ over Hdmi. If laptop's Hdmi is v2, you'll have a good chance it working with a Hdmi 2 120Hz+ capable monitor. Hdmi v1.4 monitors are older and most likely be difficult to find in person. Even if manage to find one online, it would still be a risk of it not working because the cpu's integrated graphics generation (Intel® UHD Graphics 620), which the 1050Ti passes through, is limited to v1.4. Not that the port version itself is limiting because there are v1.4 144Hz monitors out there, it's just Intel themselves limited it's graphics controller to 60Hz...

boju

Titan
Ambassador
1050Ti can provide 144Hz via Hdmi. It depends if the manufacturer of the monitor allowed it or whether the laptop's video port is wired to the gpu or passed through from the igpu. Port passing through the igpu which is also wired to the laptop screen is usually (afaik) limited to the capabilities of the laptop screen. If your laptop has video capable USBc and monitor has USBc or Displayport then this'll be worth a shot.

What laptop and monitor do you have?

Sep 1, 2020
1050Ti can provide 144Hz via Hdmi. It depends if the manufacturer of the monitor allowed it or whether the laptop's video port is wired to the gpu or passed through from the igpu. Port passing through the igpu which is also wired to the laptop screen is usually (afaik) limited to the capabilities of the laptop screen. If your laptop has video capable USBc and monitor has USBc or Displayport then this'll be worth a shot.

What laptop and monitor do you have?
My laptop is an Acer Nitro AN515-53 and the monitor is ASUS VG248QE

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Oh bummer, laptop has USBc gen 1 but not 2. v2 is required for USBc Displayport alt mode. Would have been good if it did because then you could have used it to utilise the monitor's Displayport using a USBc to DP cable. Hdmi is limited to 60Hz on this particular monitor.

Hdmi to Displayport won't give you above 60Hz if this was an idea to try.

Sep 1, 2020
Oh bummer, laptop has USBc gen 1 but not 2. v2 is required for USBc Displayport alt mode. Would have been good if it did because then you could have used it to utilise the monitor's Displayport using a USBc to DP cable. Hdmi is limited to 60Hz on this particular monitor.

Hdmi to Displayport won't give you above 60Hz if this was an idea to try.

I'm looking to buy a 144hz monitor that works with my laptop, do you have any you would recommend for around 180-300$? I appreciate all your help. Thanks a lot!

Sep 1, 2020
Hmm. What's the numbers after AN515-53-_ _ _

I'm searching around for anyone with experience with it but there are a few different versions of the 53.
I'm not sure, unfortunately in my System information that's what it says it is. Is there any other place I could find the specific model?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
No idea what Hdmi version it has. It might be 2 but have a feeling it's 1.4.

Before buying a monitor, need to try one in store if you can, a model known to be capable of doing 120Hz+ over Hdmi. If laptop's Hdmi is v2, you'll have a good chance it working with a Hdmi 2 120Hz+ capable monitor. Hdmi v1.4 monitors are older and most likely be difficult to find in person. Even if manage to find one online, it would still be a risk of it not working because the cpu's integrated graphics generation (Intel® UHD Graphics 620), which the 1050Ti passes through, is limited to v1.4. Not that the port version itself is limiting because there are v1.4 144Hz monitors out there, it's just Intel themselves limited it's graphics controller to 60Hz, afaik. The 1050Ti itself supports Hdmi 2, but usually, how laptops are wired, It's Hdmi runs directly from the Igpu which the gpu passes through. USBc 3.1 gen 2 would have been nice as this is connected directly to the gpu.

If you want to try your luck, try find a monitor capable of 120Hz+. See and test in store if Covid circumstances allow.

See section 7 here on list of known monitors over Hdmi. A store you could visit might have other models not listed since the last edit of the thread below.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/how-to-connect-to-a-120-hz-display.3268285/#post-20043092

Solution