[SOLVED] Nvidia GTX 1060 running hot playing basic gaming modes.

Neostarwcc

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2013
So I was using a GTX 1060 for the last like 3-4 years or so (I bought it in 2015 or 16 I believe) during those years it ran perfectly fine in my computer on 1440P 144-165 HZ settings. No annoying noises, no problems nothing. Then I upgraded my video card to a RTX 2080 TI and gave my wife the GTX 1060 that I used to own. It ran fine in her computer for a while but then once we decided to try playing games with it apparently it started making this VERY annoying whirring sound like an air conditioner. And the worst part is, she only has a 1080P 60 hz monitor that I bought when I was still in highschool (15+ years ago) so it shouldn't be taxing the video card very much when I ran it on MUCH higher settings and it ran just fine.

At first it was the CoolerMaster 212 evo that I had installed into her computer and then I reduced the settings in her bios to 800 RPM and her computer stopped making the noise after a 30 minute stress test on both her CPU and GPU. Now a few days later it's making the noise again. Her CPU cooler is still running at less than 800 RPM so that can't be the problem. So I stress tested her video card again for about 10 minutes on the maximum settings I could set for her computer. After about 6 minutes the GPU started making the noises again. Rather permanently. Her GPU temps are under 25c now and the GPU is STILL making the annoying whirring sounds.

What also really weird is every program under the sun is detecting her fan speeds at 0 RPM. So maybe the censor is gone? Or maybe the whole video card needs to be replaced, idk but it just seems odd that it worked perfectly fine for 3-4 years on a much higher setting and then all of a sudden it starts having problems playing a very basic game that you can play on max settings on a microwave oven (WoW if you're curious). So... who knows... I'm stumped and I'm about to ask ASUS for help if the card is still under warranty.

I was thinking maybe it was because her PSU was too weak but apparently, she can run her whole computer on less than 400 watts and she has a 550 watt PSU so that can't be it. I'm just stumped.

Solution
The ram will make no difference on how much the fans are working. It will help the system in general.
Since you say that even by powering up the PC the fans go to max, it's not an issue of IF the card has a problem. It's a certainty. If there was an incompatibility, you would see performance issues only (or not even working). But you also have a fan issue which makes it a malfunctioning GPU (at least on the fan part, maybe even somewhere else).
First of all, I own a 1070 and I can't hit 144/165 Hz in 1440p for most games. Only the non demanding ones. Either you play games that were CPU demanding, or you do not remember correctly.

Secondly, your 1060 and all 1000 series cards have the 0db fan function. That means that below a certain temperature the fans will not spin. For the Asus cards you can disable/enable it from the Asus GPU tweak app (enabled by default) and in most cases the fans start spinning at 60C.

Now for the problem. Are you sure what you are hearing is not coil whine? If you don't have vsync enabled, your GPU will not limit itself so it will constantly work at Max (making that noise).

Try monitoring your clocks , utilisation and temps of your GPU with msi afterburner. Post the results here.

Neostarwcc

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2013
Also check her pc to see what 500w PSU the pc had, because not all the 500W PSU are the same, you need to check the +12V rails, the 500w does not tell your the whole story about the PSU.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/power-supplies-101,4193.html

One more, if the GPU warranty expires, you may try to replace the thermal paste too.

She has a Corsair TX550M so she should be fine. It was just a thought.

I'll have to check with ASUS and see if the GPU is still under warranty. It might not be because I bought the GPU 3-4 years ago. Changing the thermal paste isn't a bad idea, how do I do that? Is it similar to changing the paste on a processor?

Neostarwcc

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2013
First of all, I own a 1070 and I can't hit 144/165 Hz in 1440p for most games. Only the non demanding ones. Either you play games that were CPU demanding, or you do not remember correctly.

Secondly, your 1060 and all 1000 series cards have the 0db fan function. That means that below a certain temperature the fans will not spin. For the Asus cards you can disable/enable it from the Asus GPU tweak app (enabled by default) and in most cases the fans start spinning at 60C.

Now for the problem. Are you sure what you are hearing is not coil whine? If you don't have vsync enabled, your GPU will not limit itself so it will constantly work at Max (making that noise).

Try monitoring your clocks , utilisation and temps of your GPU with msi afterburner. Post the results here.

I downloaded ASUS's GPU tweak II app, where is the setting to disable that fan mode? I can't seem to find it. I did find the ability to set the profile to silent though so I'll try that and run a stress test again.

edit nvm I found it. The fans are kicking in at 27c when I start up World Of Warcraft. But it's still reading the fan speed at 0 RPM with the option turned off.

Neostarwcc

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2013
I tried enabling vsync with nividia control panel but it said "Not compatible with your current driver" I have the August 27th drivers from Nvidia (V436.15) since the latest September 10th ones has issues or at least it did on my RTX 2080 TI so I told her to download the earlier drivers. I ran MSI afterburner and it says 1872 MHZ/3802 mhz Temperature is 33c, max of 37c, & 0 voltage, (How is that possible?). It also says 25% fan speed.

Neostarwcc

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2013
Watch the video
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGvUHeoDbQo
but if the GPU is still under warranty, don't try it, because it will void the warranty.

You may consider to update the chipset driver, because the MB may not have the right driver for the senor to detect the GPU to control the fan speed.

One more, how about the BIOS too, but keep in mind, if you don't do it right, you may brick your wife PC.

Thanks so much for the video! I've literally never changed the paste on a GPU in my life 😊. I won't do it unless her warranty is no good anymore though. I'll try to contact ASUS customer support later on today.

But yeah, what's really weird is even ASUS GPU Tweak II isn't reading my fan speeds despite the fan going really fast right now as soon as I opened WoW and card got to like 27c. That's... not normal. Maybe the card is going.

I am a bit confused. How come you say that the GPU runs hot when you also mention that it's kicking the fans at 27C (which is actually VERY low) and that the MSI afterburner reports 37C as max.
Also you started the thread by mentioning a whirring sound which most probably is cause by the fans running at full speed.

I believe that the GPUs fans malfunction due to a broken/corrupted/malfunctioning sensor, hence the 0 rpm.
If you are under warranty, use it. If not, go to a repair shop and ask for the cost IF they can fix it.
You should be under warranty though, since 1060 cards came out 3 years ago (August or September) so, unless you bought in the first days/weeks, you still have warranty.

Neostarwcc

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2013
I am a bit confused. How come you say that the GPU runs hot when you also mention that it's kicking the fans at 27C (which is actually VERY low) and that the MSI afterburner reports 37C as max.
Also you started the thread by mentioning a whirring sound which most probably is cause by the fans running at full speed.

I believe that the GPUs fans malfunction due to a broken/corrupted/malfunctioning sensor, hence the 0 rpm.
If you are under warranty, use it. If not, go to a repair shop and ask for the cost IF they can fix it.
You should be under warranty though, since 1060 cards came out 3 years ago (August or September) so, unless you bought in the first days/weeks, you still have warranty.

Yeah I was massively confused as well it just doesn't make sense. I just logged into her computer today and the fans start running at max now even when I first start up her computer (I completely shut it off yesterday and logged in this morning) I don't even have to run a video game now. So... yeah something is definitely up now. Idk what it could be. One guess that I have is that something in her computer is incompatible with the video card I put in. I did notice yesterday afternoon as I was working on removing my motherboard from my computer (I'm in the middle of upgrading it) that she only has 8gbs of ram. I thought I bought her 16gbs when I bought this computer for her several years ago but I guess not. So I'm going to give her my old 16GBs of ram (G.skill Ripjaws-x 1600 mhz ddr 3) and see if that helps. If it doesn't there has to be something wrong with the video card that ASUS can fix. If not they can tell me what part of my wife's computer is not compatible with the GTX 1060 and I can change it. Anyway, thanks for your help guys. I'll let you all know what ASUS says I'll try to get on with them sometime today.

The card should be under warranty. According to Newegg I bought the card on 5/19/17 and ASUS offers me a 3 year warranty which means that our warranty should be valid until around 5/19/20. That gives us seven months to return the card to ASUS.

The ram will make no difference on how much the fans are working. It will help the system in general.
Since you say that even by powering up the PC the fans go to max, it's not an issue of IF the card has a problem. It's a certainty. If there was an incompatibility, you would see performance issues only (or not even working). But you also have a fan issue which makes it a malfunctioning GPU (at least on the fan part, maybe even somewhere else).

Solution

Neostarwcc

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2013

Okay thank you very much for your help/wisdom! I don't really know much about video cards so I didn't know if an incompatibility would be causing it to fail like this. So ram would only be a problem with playing games then and not the card itself. I just figured that since 16gbs has been the standard size of ram these days that maybe it was causing a problem.

One thing I am going to try before contacting ASUS though is seeing if the video card is even properly mounted into the PCI-E x16 slot. I should have tried this ages ago but maybe when she installed it she didn't install correctly. It's a thought.

Anyway, I'll try to get a hold of ASUS customer support today and let you guys know what they say. It's probably going to cost me $30 or so to send the video card to ASUS but that beats shelling out $200-$300 for a new one when I've already spent over $2.000 upgrading my computer. Don't really have the money XD. Anyway, see you later.

I had to RMA my card with Asus that it was under warranty and they did not charge me anything. I just had to pack the card properly (not in the original package as it will be kept) and the courier came to pick it up.

As for the RAM, there will be a difference in games and overall but nothing to do with the fans. You should check if it's seated properly yes. I doubt that it will be the problem though.

Anyway, anything else you need help with, we are here!

Neostarwcc

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2013
Okay. I went through her computer and there were a few things I was noticing. 1. Her ram said that each one was 8gbs. I installed both of them correctly so one of them was definitely bad if they were both reading at 8gbs. Two she did have the video card mounted improperly. So I stuck it in there and mounted it correctly. I started up her computer and the video card made no noise so I ran WoW to see if it was fixed, I played for about 10 minutes no fan noise. So then I ran a stress test for about 25 minutes. No annoying fan noises. Although the fans did kick in at around 55c but the fans were not maxe dI also ran HWmonitor and the fan speeds are displaying correctly now. The one fan is running at less than 1500 rpm.

So it seems the problem is fixed now yay! It was just improper card mounting or bad ram. Although it was probably because she had almost half of the card sticking out! Lol!

TRENDING THREADS