Question Nvidia GTX 1070 running hot, and 100% load while not gaming ?

ally0007

Honorable
Nov 17, 2017
Good day all, A few weeks ago, I bought a GTX 1070 and it has been working fine, and running cool.. until now. Today, it has been running hot, at 100% load, even though I was just doing menial Windows tasks (not gaming). For the first time, I heard its fans running, so I ran GPU-z (results image, below). What can cause this? Many thanks!

Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
Intel Xeon E5 v3 @ 3.20GHz 30 °C
Haswell-E/EP 22nm Technology
RAM
64.0GB DDR4 @ 1064MHz (15-15-15-36)
Motherboard
Hewlett-Packard 212B (CPU0)
Graphics
XB253Q (1920x1080@60Hz)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (ASUStek Computer Inc) 54 °C

gpu.jpg

Last edited:

ally0007

Honorable
Nov 17, 2017
Does Task Manager's process tab display any programs with high gpu utility?
Thank you... my Task Manager doesn't show GPU usage; only CPU usage. Everything listed is at very low CPU usage, except for Microsoft Common Language Runtime native compiler, which is 'very high' (52% of CPU). I ended that process.

I also did a clean install of the latest Nvidia GTX 1070 whql driver, after thoroughly cleaning out all old graphics driver remnants using DDU, but that didn't help.

Last edited:

ally0007

Honorable
Nov 17, 2017
Enable GPU usage column in Task Manager.
Thank you for that! Yes indeed, the only culprit is Microsoft Net Services Installation Utility, (97% to 100% GPU power)! If I end the process, it soon comes back. Is this process necessary and is there a way to stop it?
This is the file location:
reg.jpg

Last edited:

ally0007

Honorable
Nov 17, 2017
TY for the suggestions, bary6. Here are my answers:

I am guessing the fans are working? Air coming out the back ok? YES
Is the card in some sort of afterburner stability stress test mode? MSI combustor? NO
Does the card always run at near 100%? NO; only when Microsoft Net Services installation Utility shows up in Windows Task Manger.
Removing the case side panel help? Cpu hot also? NO & NO
Is there a gap between the gpu heat sink and the gpu die/thermal paste? Did you take apart the card before this happened? I've never checked, but please see aswer No.3 above.
The card run ok during normal gaming? YES, (during the brief time I tried it, since the problem started).

PS.. I just ran .NET Framework Repair Tool. I then installed the latest NET Framework (Ver 4.8.1), as it suggested), but the problem continues as before. I notice that the offending "Microsoft Net Services installation Utility" stops running when I disable the GPU. Is that normal, anyone? It seems suspicious, to me, but what do I know?

Last edited:

ally0007

Honorable
Nov 17, 2017
UPDATE! I ran sfc /scannow and it found and fixed a number of errors. Since then, the dreaded Microsoft Net Services Installation Utility has not restarted, so nothing is hogging my GPU any more! YIPPEEEE!!! (y)(y)(y)

Reactions: dudio