Nvidia GTX 1080, 1070 Display Port Incompatible With Vive HMD

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

The premise of the article was to bring attention to a compatibility issue. It's that simple.

Most people that will be using the HDMI for something else will expect that the Display Port ports on the GPU will be compatible with the Display Port port on the link box. You should not have to buy an additional adapter to convert another port to work with Display Port or HDMI.
Also, there are situations outside of your own limited example where that won't work, for example, if you are already hooked up to a monitor through DVI and a projector through HDMI, the Vive is supposed to work with DP.

There's definitely some irony here, but the VR performance of the 1080 is not in question here. Most people will plug in the Vive with HDMI. That's the cable that comes in the box. There's a small selection of people who wish to use Display Port. Most of those people have found a work around, such as the one above, so the issue hasn't caught much traction in the public eye until this report.

There are somewhere close to 100,000 Vive units in the wild if you go by the Steam survey. The vast majority of those people likely don't have 10-series cards yet. Of those that do, several have reported this, and several others have quietly found workarounds for themselves.

An issue exists that causes a functionality that worked on previous generation hardware to not work on the most cutting edge hardware.
How do you not consider this worthy of spreading the word about?

John Nemesh

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013

$200 has always been a "budget" card. Considering that you can get a "top of the line" card for $600 now, THAT is where the market has gone! And I agree...if you spent $150-$200 on a motherboard, you shouldn't be putting in a $200 graphics card. The $200 cards have their place, no doubt...but you would put that on a $100 MB and build a balanced system.

150-250$ is budget, 250-350 mainstream (lion share of sales), 350-450 is med-high, 500+ high end.

Why can't you put a "200 dollar card in a 200 dollar MoBo"?

If you're still in 1080p, why burn the extra money that could go to another SSD or a better monitor?

I'm not suggesting an imbalanced build, but the MoBo does not add to the "performance" equation of the platform more than the RAM does. You can have an X99 system with a 480 or a 970 or even a Titan and it's just about what type of monitor you're using at the end.

Cheers!

OC you can. And some people even might.
It's just 200$ MB usually comes with 400$ CPU and other components well above average. And in gaming rig, GPU is usually the most expensive component. So you expect that people gaming with such rigs, will put a high end GPU as well.
As a matter of fact, RX 480 or GTX 970 are fine for 1080p gaming. But to have minimum 60FPS in any game maxed out, you are going to need GTX 1070 or better. Not to mention those with 144hz monitors.
So majority of the RX 480 will be used with CPUs under 200$ and MBs under 100$. Not to mention Aerocool PSUs :)

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
I think my reluctance to call $200 "budget" is because I look at cards like the 950 and 360/370 and see those as budget choices, not cards like the 970/390/480. The 480 will beat the 970 more often that not, yet the latter is priced in the segment above for the time being. When I got an HD 4830 in mid-2009 that was a solid mainstream card for under £100, or at least it felt like one.

alextheblue

Distinguished

Agreed. They didn't even give them a week before the rioting started. Even after AMD said they'd fix it with a software update very shortly, they were still looking for any excuse to slam the crap out of them. Meanwhile these same people are the staunchest defenders of Nvidia even when they end up with something like Bumpgate - which DID cook a lot of hardware. Especially onboard graphics chips on HP laptops.

Bottom line: They both have issues from time to time.

CaptainTom

Honorable
May 3, 2012

I'm sorry but the RX 480 had one issue, that was really only a problem if you overclocked.

The 1080/1070 had:

-Non-Working Fans
-A DVI port that cant go about 81 FPS
-(And now) Display port that can't work with VR

This is getting ridiculous, and they asked for an extra $100. This will be remembered as the time Nvidia just stopped caring, and it was clearly because people will by a box full of rocks if it says Nvidia on it.

ledhead11

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014
I admit, I have an ulterior motive with my current angst for Nvidia. I'm a fanboy. Yes. I wanted either a 1080 or 1080SLI to game @ 4k 60FPS+ on Ultra Settings. Turns out they can't do that for most 2015, and current 2016 games and what came out were cards that stated they were focused on VR. Even though that is niche it now comes out that they can't even use DP properly for one of the major players in which technically should offer superior performance over HDMI. I read someones work-around and its obviously a kind of handshake issue but still, come on! Still waiting for those TI's but getting more nervous how long I'll be waiting for something that might be out of date at release. If you spent anything over $500 on the 9xx cards you may need to wait till the 11xx, just sayin'.

KC5VDJ

Reputable
Oct 18, 2015

Dude, time to get real on this, AMD came out with a card that was just a touch below expectations, but at the right price. To compete, they needed GTX 980 / R9-390X performance CONSISTENTLY at that price point. This is a pattern with AMD but I don't really blame the idea of the company, I blame the Texas business mentality, which is the standard three card monte. Don't trust a Texan any farther than you can toss one in business, as they are the most dishonest and money grubbing.

As for the PCIe issue, there are reports of motherboards that have had slots fried by RX-480 cards already. A standards compliance issue involving DisplayPort, which will probably be found to be the cause of the low end chip in the Vive connector box (face it, those things always use the cheapest chip they can find) that cannot handle some part of the standard that nVidia is using that AMD isn't.

Don't minimize the issue with the PCIe power draw. They have to actually lower performance to enable standards compliance with their "Compatability Mode" checkbox. Granted they did add some game-specific tweaks to offset this, but for general use, in games or programs not specifically optimized in the driver, performance will take a hit.

On one hand you complain about fanboys, but are a total fanboy, because anyone who would minimize an issue that is currently actually killing slots on motherboards, just to defend a company, is a fanboy.

They both make good products for the most part. The power draw issue is a design fault, and that is a technical term for bad engineering practice.

Oh, and in real life, I'm hard on any company that thinks standards compliance is merely a suggestion. My record on this is pristine. Hell, I didn't see you there at Dick Armey's 1995 Richardson Town Hall meeting being refused an answer on standards compliance in relation to commercialization of the Internet.

KC5VDJ

Reputable
Oct 18, 2015

Does AMD hire the FreeRepublic trolls or something to post fanboy stuff saying that "it's not big deal if AMD kills slots on your $400 motherboard!"?

This is NOT the time for fanboy acts.

Killed motherboard slot: https://community.amd.com/thread/202410
Killed motherboard slot: https://hardforum.com/threads/rx-480-is-apparently-killing-pcie-slots.1903867/
Killed motherboard slot: https://m.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/4qr904/people_on_amd_forums_saying_480_killed_their_pcie/
Killed motherboard slot (even on high end motherboards): https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/619402-amd-rx-480-causing-faults-for-pc-gamers-%E2%80%93-pcie-slots-have-died-on-high-end-boards/?page=1

AMD fanboy crap pretending this is not a serious problem, or complaining that people have an issue with it are the prime reason I don't like AMD fanboys (or any for that matter). AMD actually disavowed tactics like this just over a year ago. I guess the word never got down to the fanboys that they hurt sales.

I've only seen that first link being posted around supporting the "RX480 kills MoBos". And in that same thread (go and read it), he admits he OC'ed the RX480 to ~1350Mhz and then used it non-stop for 7 hours.

Since he did OC the card, do you remember the GTX590 and it's lovely sparks when being OC'ed?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRo-1VFMcbc

Like I've told everyone: Keep calm and inform yourselves.

I haven't seen any other *confirmed* MoBos that were fried by a RX480. And, interestingly enough, the other case in that same forum, was an Asus Sabertooth 990FX, which was known to have voltage issues.

I've been trying to find more, but I can't really find anymore cases. Confirmed killed MoBos that is.

Cheers!

KC5VDJ

Reputable
Oct 18, 2015

AMD confirmed that there is an issue here. Also remember that in the ENTIRE USA there are only 8,000 day one boards out there. I bet over half of those are sitting in a closet or on a shelf awaiting other parts for a summer vacation build (face it, AMD is quite popular with the high school crowd precisely because AMD is cheap), and the most of the others are probably running non-overclocked, and the rest were pulled while waiting for answers to this problem.

If I had the money, I'd be tempted to spend $10,000 to buy a RX-480 and some motherboards and CPUs and see how many I can fry. I will fry many. VRM focus is on CPU/RAM, even on the highest-end motherboards. Motherboard manufactuirers are only required to supply 75 watts to a PCIe slot though, so they don't really put any attention there, and indeed, I'm not surprised the first report was on an ASRock board, as their management is tighter than Scrooge, and overrides any notion of "Good Engineering Practice" in favor of reduced cost. I wouldn't trust an ASRock to deliver one microamp more than the rating on anything other than a CPU, and even then, they fried my i7-4770K running at STOCK when one of their VRMs smoked on me.

The odds are, with the speed of the news, that the vast majority of those who would have been damaged gave way to caution when they heard the news. The people that bought this on day one tend to keep up with the news.

It really doesn't matter anyway. I think PCI SIG needs to start requiring PROOF of compliance testing instead of a signature on a "Declaration of Conformity" by a paid liar. It's called patent and trademark protection. Consortiums and companies that fail to protect their IP can and have had patents stripped.

Also remember, that for AMD to take this so seriously, in a Texas Corporate environment, where if they can get away with anything, they will try, legal or illegal, and that's simply an honest assessment of the corporate culture in Texas, The Home of White Collar Crime (TM), they no doubt tried and fried one themselves. I can't see a Texan doing anything about a problem, unless there were legal ramifications that they can't pay a Congressman to remove.

To be fair, that corporate attitude is not limited to Texas. They merely perfected it, and made it their "Values System".

That's a whole lot of speculation you've got going on there, with nothing concrete to support it. Again, AMD admitting there is a potential problem is light years away from confirmed products being killed by other products when everything was operating within manufactures' recommended stock settings, especially from a legal culpability perspective.

ledhead11

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014

It's inflation and greed. Ten years ago I balked at the idea of spending more than $200 on one card to get it done. Now I've been saving over 2 years to spend $1500 on something crazy SLI and to last for what's my possibly last build(yeah, I'm that old). There's nothing I could rant about that you haven't or couldn't read about anywhere else.

Well AMD fixed their power draw issue. Now will Nvidia fix their issue?? I hope they don't pull an Intel TSX Hasewell/Broadwell screw-over where people pay for a feature an then when it becomes known that it doesn't work the manufacturer just disables it or just says that it doesn't work so deal with it.. Kinda like Sony and running Linux on PS3's (yeah that was cool till Sony blocked it in an update).

May be they will, may be they will not. There is more than one workaround.
Anyway, seems like no one really cares about this "issue" except of the red fanboys :)

Like all of the people de-crying AMD for the power issue had RX480s in their systems, right?

Cheers!

bcbigseller

Reputable
Apr 13, 2015
There is nothing wrong with the 480s, I little bit of quick Googleing and U will see many cards ore over spec. I believe AMD released the 480 with a 6 pin early so ppl could see it's true colours. That way the 1060 release price wouldn't be stupid low.since all amds silicone is small, they are prob binning all the good ones for AIB. And we will see cards that can hit 1500-1600. The 480 is great for 1080, falls a little short in some games at 1440p. With a good oc on AIB, and the money saved U can get a freesynce, or go crossfire with freesync. And hit solid 40-50 fps min on 1440p with a single AIB 480. And good 4k with cf. U might not get it to work on all but the future is going all multi GPU.

Oh, then you might want to see that linked YT video. I bet you didn't remember that one, but I bet you will remember this (RX480 power issue) for the rest of your life.

Cheers!

I couldn't care less about this issue :) it's just fun pocking and trolling. I just wouldn't recommend to buy the reference RX 480. It is nice card if that is your budget. But if and when we see 1060 for 250, RX 480 will have to get price cut towards 200.
Honestly, AMD making "crap" and both nvidia and intel abusing their monopoly.

Trolling is against the forum rules. Specially on sensitive topics like this that can spark the most horrible side of people.

My honest advice is to keep comments like that to yourself if possible, please.

Cheers!

I never considered the GTX 970 a budget card, the GTX 950 yes, so I agree with you. The RX-480 is a main stream card price wise. And a performance card spec wise competing with the GTX 970.

TomZ55

Commendable
Jul 10, 2016
Does the display port on the AMD RX 480 have the same incompatability problem with HTC Vive that Nvidia 1080/1070 cards are experiencing?

Status
Not open for further replies.