Question NVIDIA GTX 1080 G1 Gaming not performing as well?

The PurplePanda

Prominent
Feb 25, 2019
Hello all!
I've had this question for quite some time and I haven't really got a straight answer.
Specs:
2560x1440 @ 144hz monitor
GIGABYTE G1 GAMING GTX 1080 8GB
Intel i7 7700 (non-overclockable)
16GB RAM
700 watt PSU

My unanswered question is that is my PC or my GPU underperforming or not performing to its expectations?
Playing games like Grand Theft Auto 5 and Farcry 5, seem to have low FPS. I've tried overclocking but the fps doesn't change or it decreases.
My guess would be that my monitor is causing the problem, but really, I'm not entirely sure.
On GTA online, I would get around 55-40 fps, sometimes I would get 60-70, but it's mostly 40-55. Farcry 5 is no different.
I don't know if this helps, but on Grand theft auto, the GPU uses around 2 - 2.5 GB of Vram out of the 8GB. Similar for Farcry 5, if not more.
If this is normal behaviour for my GPU and my overall PC, then there isn't anything to worry about, but if there is something wrong, I would greatly appreciate if someone could tell my why this is happening. If there is a problem, could there be any way to fix it?

your monitor should not have any effect on your FPS in this scenario.
just be sure that 144Hz, if possible, is enabled in both the monitor's on-screen panel and in Windows Display settings and/or Nvidia Control Panel.

these are fairly CPU intensive games so having a 7th gen CPU capped at 4.2GHz isn't the best scenario.
it is more than likely holding back the GTX 1080 some, but not by much.
try turning down any CPU intensive game settings and see if you get any noticeable improvement.

The PurplePanda

Prominent
Feb 25, 2019
your monitor should not have any effect on your FPS in this scenario.
just be sure that 144Hz, if possible, is enabled in both the monitor's on-screen panel and in Windows Display settings and/or Nvidia Control Panel.

these are fairly CPU intensive games so having a 7th gen CPU capped at 4.2GHz isn't the best scenario.
it is more than likely holding back the GTX 1080 some, but not by much.
try turning down any CPU intensive game settings and see if you get any noticeable improvement.
If the CPU is the problem, then would upgrading to an i7 7700k be better? Is this problem being caused by a CPU bottleneck?

Last edited: