nVidia GTX 1080 ti not working after case swap

hotsurlysoup

Prominent
Oct 6, 2017
Mother Board: GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Old GPU: EVGA SuperClocked 015-P3-1582-AR GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
New GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Xtreme Edition 11GB 352-Bit GDDR5X Graphics Card
CPU: Intel Core i7-970 Gulftown 6-Core 3.2 GHz LGA 1366 130W BX80613I7970 Desktop Processor
RAM: G.SKILL PIS Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2200 (PC3 17600) Desktop Memory Model F3-17600CL7D-4GBPIS x 2
HDD: Western Digital Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive
SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 128 Gb
DVD: ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 24X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional 70SB088600002 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Express x1 Interface Sound Card
Old Case: RAIDMAX SMILODON ATX-612WBP Black 1.0mm SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Foldout MB Computer Case With 500W Power Supply
New Case: Corsair Carbide Series CC-9011030-WW Black Steel ATX Cube High Airflow Cube Case ATX (not included) Power Supply
PSU: 750W Corsair

My previous machine I built in 2010 using money I got from a bonus payment. I ordered all of the parts at the same time and built it all at once. This time I have decided to build piece by piece over a year.

I purchased a new GPU, a 1080 ti, a couple of weeks ago. I removed my old GPU and installed the new one and everything was working fine. I saw a significant performance increase and no signs of instability.

Yesterday I purchased the Corsair Carbide ATX Cube case and transferred my parts into the new case. Now when I turn the system on the LEDs on everything except for the GPU turn on, the fans on GPU spin though, and I don't get any display on my monitor. I don't even hear post beeps, and I don't see a bios splash screen or anything. The only change in the configuration between working and not working is the case and I'm at a loss for what went wrong.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Solution

While they do have these stand offs which the screws fit into place and mostly holds the motherboard where it is supposed to, there is usually a fair bit of play. That bit of play can often make it so the GPU doesn't properly fit...

hotsurlysoup

Prominent
Oct 6, 2017

Thank you for the suggestions. I disconnected and reconnected the PSU cables a few times. The center standoff in the case has a piece which sticks up through the hole in the Mother Board to ensure proper alignment. I'll triple check both of these when I get home though.

While they do have these stand offs which the screws fit into place and mostly holds the motherboard where it is supposed to, there is usually a fair bit of play. That bit of play can often make it so the GPU doesn't properly fit. You often have to loosen the screws, and push the motherboard towards the back of the case. The metal piece where all the motherboard jacks are, is spring loaded, and pushes the mothberboard away. I usually tighten the screw on that corner first, then push the opposite corner towards the back of the case and tighten that one. Install the GPU, make sure it fits, and readjust. After that, you can tighten the rest.

Solution

hotsurlysoup

Prominent
Oct 6, 2017

Gotcha', I'll give it a shot. Thank you.