KroSS_

Reputable
Apr 1, 2015
Specs:

Corsair CXM600W PSU

Quad core AMD processors

Gigabyte CPU

Nvidia GTX 650 GPU

Hi, recently my GPU stopped working. I booted as usual with the VGA cable connected from the GPU to the monitor and there wasn't a signal and one of the fans wasn't moving.

I disconnected it and reconnected it and the fan works again but is visibly slower than the other fan.

I launched my PC off the motherboard with the GPU disconnected and noticed in device manager that the onboard GPU had been reinstalled (it was previously causing issues so it was uninstalled).

In the BIOS i then changed it to boot from the onboard first. Now when i launched with the VGA on the onboard connection it said the graphics card was working fine, once i reinstalled the onboard card drivers it was showing code 43. So i uninstalled the onboard again.

I changed it to boot from the PCI slot again and connected the VGA to the graphics card, the card turns on along with its fans but doesn't give out a signal to the monitor.

It is powered by a PCI-E cable from the corsair CXM600W power supply, there is only one PCI-E slot on the graphics card.

Help please

Solution
It sounds like you may be right and the GPU is dead or possibly not getting enough power. Can you try it with a different PSU?
Make sure your cables are in good working condition as well.

Also, I'm guessing you meant that you have an AMD CPU and a Gigabyte motherboard?

Joshua Martin

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2014
It sounds like you may be right and the GPU is dead or possibly not getting enough power. Can you try it with a different PSU?
Make sure your cables are in good working condition as well.

Also, I'm guessing you meant that you have an AMD CPU and a Gigabyte motherboard?

Solution

KroSS_

Reputable
Apr 1, 2015

Yes that's what I meant sorry.

My PSU is probably not the problem as when I bought the graphics card it was underpowered and I bought the PSU and it fixed that problem (and so the graphics card was working fine). The only other PSU I have is the old CIT technologies one which doesn't have enough power to support the GPU.

One possible issue with the PSU is that the modular slot for the wire I'm using in the GPU has two 1x2-pin cables coming out and two 2x3 pin (PCI-E) cables all coming out of that wire set, does that reduce the amount of power going to each wire even if only one the wire (one of the PCI-E ones) is being used?

KroSS_

Reputable
Apr 1, 2015
It's odd that this suddenly happened as the graphics card was working fine for the ~6 months before this once I had installed it properly into the machine.

ddemirev

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015
I have the same problem with my HD 7770. The problem is caused by windows updates I think.
So it all started after windows 10 updates on 12.08. My pc returns some error (which sadly I don't remember) and after reboot I lost the signal from the gpu. Windows could not detect my gpu anymore. In BIOS the PCI Express slot is shown empty.
Tried every solution posted in the net:
- clean reinstall of gpu drivers - fail, no gpu detected
- reset the gpu in the pci express slot - no change
- move the gpu to the second pci express slot - worked, so the problem is not in the GPU
- tried to install every possible newest driver for my system

So at last I decided to reset the windows and guess what - windows returns an error "inaccessible boot device" lol
My PC started the infinite restart loop and now my only option is to install a clean copy of Windows.

BTW my system specs:

i3 3220
Asrock z77m
Gigabyte HD 7770
Have been running windows 10 flawlessly from the beginning of last week.

KroSS_

Reputable
Apr 1, 2015
You were right Josh, thanks.

I was able to get the GPU working and the image was messed up beyond belief, I'll be contacting the seller for a refund or replacement.