Nvidia GTX 660 no longer working after failed Windows Update(windows10), No Display or POST

GigaBits

Reputable
Dec 16, 2015
Hello everyone, I am having a problem with my system after a recent windows update. I currently run Windows 10 Home Edition 64bit(updated about 2 months ago), for my cpu I have an AMD FX(tm)-8350 Vishera, my motherboard is an ASUS Sabertooth 990fx r2.0, graphics card is an Nvidia GTX 660(non oc), as well as 16GB ram.

After a game crash 2 days ago due to something server side, I opted to restart. Upon doing so I was forced to update as well, going through the typical "preparing windows for update" screen after which it attempted to restart, however upon restart my tower rebooted, but I got no response from my display or keyboard, as well as a singular beep every 25-30 seconds after the initial reboot beep. Upon further inspection I noticed that the VGA LED was solid red on the motherboard, so I attempted re-seating the card, as well as swapping PCIe slots, to no avail. I eventually had to borrow a PCI x8 card to slot in and connect through VGA. I could not get the system to POST with the NVIDIA card in until removing it and switching the primary order to PEG/PCI, which let me put it back in to attempt to troubleshoot. After getting in I got a message saying "windows update failed." I did a bit of research, where a few people had suggested bios/driver updates being the problem in similar situations(even though none seemed to have a singular error beep like mine), so I sucessfully flashed the BIOS on the motherboard to the latest from ASUS to possibly help with any compatibility issues, as well as flashed the now non responsive GTX 660 vBIOS(sucessfully completed, but first time attempting.) with the latest update available from Nvidia. None of this worked, so I tried a "clean install" of the drivers suggestion from a topic, which involved uninstalling the device drivers from device manager and then checking for changes which would reinstall them. After uninstalling the GTX 660 Device Drivers the system crashed about 30 seconds later, taking me to a blue screen saying windows has crashed unexpectedly and tries to restart. The computer reboots up until bios screen, but crashes before getting to windows login. I cannot get around this now even with the primary graphics order switched and am forced to completely remove the GTX 660 card in order to get into windows. I don't know if the failed Windows update has somehow bricked the card, or if It just picked a very coincidental time to die, but I would like to try and identify the problem before buying another card. I am a novice and am worried i'll do more harm than good trying to figure this out on my own. Any help would be appreciated, also sorry for sloppy post form.

GigaBits

Reputable
Dec 16, 2015
I do not have immediate access to another system, but I will have access to a friends system in several hours who also runs a 660 that I can switch cards with to test. As far as the linux distro cd/usb im not familar with it but am able to boot from both a CD and USB. If you could link a guide on how to do so i'd be more than happy to run anything that might provide any additional info.

GigaBits

Reputable
Dec 16, 2015

I made a Linux DVD and am using it now on the 8x card with the Nvidia card out, everything seems to be running fine. Would you like for me to reinstall the Nvidia card and see if it will boot into Linux again? Or is that necessary?

Edit** Just to note, everything on the Graphics card still works when powered on, fans, leds, etc. It simply will not POST with the card in now for some reason.

Yeah, you need to try to boot linux with the 660 in to see if it's a snafu'd Windows kernel or a hardware problem.

Oh - sorry, just re-read your last. If it won't even POST with the card in, then it's probably hardware - it's just sometimes hard to see when POST ends and Windows starts with W10 which is why it's worth being double-sure.

GigaBits

Reputable
Dec 16, 2015

Gotcha, I did run a SFC before deleting the drivers and it detetced corrupted files it fixed. But yes with the priority set to PCI/PEG I restart the computer, it runs through the startup test but as soon as it beeps to let me know it was succesful(?) like it has always done, the VGA led turns solid red and it wont proceed any further. It wont take me to the "ultimate force" mobo/bios screen, it just stays black and unresponsive along with the keyboard, even the indicator light on the monitor remains red. If I take the card out, I get a solid VGA and Boot Device LED since my mobo has no integrated graphics. With the 8x card in along with the 660, I can run windows 10 if I switch the priority to PEG/PCI, it initially gives me the same solid red VGA led after the reboot beep, but with the 8x card in it will stay solid for a second, then go off, at which point the keyboard and monitor will both light up and proceed to the bios/windows login screen using the 8x card. Running the 660 as secondary, both windows and nvidia experience could detect the card once in my desktop, but gave me a yellow exclamation icon over it. After deleting the drivers, I can still get to my bios while running the 660 as secondary, but it will crash everytime windows tries to start now. I will attempt it with Ubuntu and post back soon to be double sure! Sorry for any confusion.