Kevin0412

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2013
Good Afternoon.

Sunday night I was playing Overwatch the game locked up all 3 of screens went black so I though my computer froze I did a hard reset everything loaded back up but only one monitor wants to acquire a signal. I thought it was my computer being weird I shut it off for a few hours but nothing changed and I then went into Device Manager to see that GPU had Error: Code 43. Obviously I'm not aware of how to fix this so I searched google. So far I've went into safe boot uninstalled my gpu driver with DDU then reinstalled but that didn't fix it and even though I have the current version of NVIDIA driver installed Geforce isn't recognizing it as it being installed due to it telling me to install it when I open the control panel. I update my firmware for my motherboard. My buddy said updating my BIOS was a last resort option even though my latest version of it which I didn't know was back from 2013 so I don't know if that would work at all. I've had this computer now for a good solid 6-7 years without any problem its just seems really weird but why it would randomly fail while playing the same game I've played countless time without an issue. I considered dropping my computer off at my Local store here but they were estimating 3-5 days to get it looked at and a fee just for diagnosing the problem. So any help you guys could give me that would be great. If the worst option is that GPU failed after 6 years it is what it is and I'll just go buy a new one... sadly but I wanted to cover all my basic before I go to that method.

Thanks.

It seems your GPU might be the culprit here, as per your description. What are your full PC specs ?

This explanation give below, is just a general info which I've outlined...All the points listed may or may NOT be applicable in your case...

The above Error code 43 can be reported anytime when Windows does not recognize a device – whether it's a USB port, Hard drive, video card/GPU, or any other piece of hardware connected to the computer. Most of the time, error code 43 means that a device driver is either missing, corrupt, and/or outdated (so Windows has problems communicating properly with the hardware), or the hardware is faulty and needs to be replaced.

This error code points out that the Hardware might also be defective, which is the GPU. But before we jump to any conclusion, can you check the card on some other PC as well ??

Can you properly boot your current system/OS, by using the 'Integrated Graphics processor' of your current Motherboard, assuming it supports igpu ? Do you still get the same problem ? And, what about SAFE MODE ?

Your GPU might also be faulty, but before we jump on any conclusion, can you TEST the Video card on some other PC ? Also, are you on a FRESH Windows OS install ? If not, then try doing a clean format of your SSD/HDD, if need be. Clear and reset ALL the CMOS/BIOS settings to default as well.

Like I mentioned above, Error code 43 is a generic message that typically indicates a problem with the hardware or software in Windows operating system. This error is often reported in Windows Device Manager. If you encounter this error with your graphics card, here are some troubleshooting ideas that may help fix it. Again, All the points listed may or may NOT be applicable in your case...

1) Update your graphics card driver. Do a CLEAN re-install by using the DDU tool. https://www.wagnardsoft.com/

2) Make sure your system is updated with the latest BIOS and Windows updates

3) Check to make sure your system power supply meets the minimum recommended power requirement for your card

4) If your card needs additional power, make sure the PCIe supplemental power connector is plugged into the card

5) Replace the graphics card as it may be defective

Code 43 can mostly happen either if drivers fail or the hardware fails. Other option is that your GPU or motherboard slot failed. If your motherboard has more then one PCIe x16 slot, you can move GPU to another slot to rule out motherboard failure. Or you should test GPU in another machine to confirm that problem lies in the card.

Last edited:

Kevin0412

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2013
Full PC Specs:

Intel I5 4670k
MSI Z87-G45 Motherboard
Kingston 2x 4GB of Ram
Seagate 650W Modular PW Supply
EVGA GTX 760 SC
Kingston Blue 256GB SSD

1. I do not have another PC to try to the card on this has been my one and only PC since I built is back in late 2013 while upgrading parts throughout the years.

2. How would I go about booting using the IGPU? I can boot in Safe Mode no problem at least far as I know

3. I have not tried doing a SSD format yet... and my Windows 10 has been on this computer for ages soo its not brand new.

4. When I uninstalled the driver from Device Manager and then I boot into Safe Boot to run DDU to full clean the driver out of the system and reboot Window wants to Force Reinstall it every 10-15 secs at which point I get a black screen when I try to redownload the driver using the GeForce software but when I do install GeForce isn't recognizing the new Driver and keeps telling that a new Driver is available and the PC will eventually crash because it doesn't think there is a Graphic Driver installed.

5. I know fully aware my BIOS isn't up to date because when I go into setting the latest version of BIOS is dated back to 2013.

Last edited: