nVidia GTX 770 vs AMD r9 280x

Solution
The best value is virtually always the R9 280X until prices shift again. If you can find a GTX 770 for as much or less than a 280X, that's a great deal, but you usually won't.

The GTX 770 is usually a little faster, but the 280X often comes out slightly ahead in games sponsored by AMD, such as Battlefield 4. No idea what will happen with GTA V, but the two cards are pretty close in most games.

Praveen926

Reputable
Mar 31, 2014
The gpu's you mentioned are really good but if you play bf4 genre games,amd is the best.But stick with GTX 770 as it has more power than the R9 280x.The difference in price is not a big deal...So i would go with GTX 770 if i can afford it.They are not of same type to compare as GTX 770 is little bit powerful than R9 280x.So the best answer is go with GTX 770

Both will perform similarly.
Make your pick based on other factors.

I have a method to pick between equally performing products.
Go to newegg and find the candidates.
Filter on the most reviews by verified buyers.
Then look at what percent of the reviews have one or two eggs indicating some sort of a problem.

oxiide

Distinguished
The best value is virtually always the R9 280X until prices shift again. If you can find a GTX 770 for as much or less than a 280X, that's a great deal, but you usually won't.

The GTX 770 is usually a little faster, but the 280X often comes out slightly ahead in games sponsored by AMD, such as Battlefield 4. No idea what will happen with GTA V, but the two cards are pretty close in most games.

Solution

JayHW

Honorable
Sep 4, 2013

GTA V is going to have mantle soooo....

oxiide

Distinguished

Just bear in mind that Mantle only really seems to matter [at least in the games we can currently test] if you've got a fairly slow processor, namely an FX-6300 or slower. If you've got a Core i5 or i7 you may not see much benefit. I have a wait-and-see attitude with anything Rockstar does that is PC-specific.

Still, it doesn't change the recommendation, and it couldn't hurt to have the option anyway.