Question Nvidia GTX 970 help required

Virtue5333

Distinguished
May 26, 2014
Good afternoon fellow PC enthusiast’s!

I’m creating this thread because I seem to have a slight dilemma.
Yesterday I miraculously found an old PNY GTX 970 lying around the bottom of my spare parts drawer in the attic, my nephew frequently been pestering me for the past few weeks to build him a gaming PC (another one joins the ranks of the master race!!)

The problem I’m having is that this card has 6 + 6 pin connectors, the PSU I’m using is an old 500 watt Aerocool integrator non modular.
I’m not seeing any way to connect the PSU cables to the GPU.
The PSU has a 4+4 pin and a 6+2 pin.
The 6 pin fits well, the others don’t at all.

Please advise on what cables I’ll be in need of to the PSU to the GPU.
Any Amazon links to the cables required will be very helpful too.
Many many thanks in advance!

Can you please provide a reason.
Is the current PSU underpowered? Or maybe it’s not suitable?
Generally, when PSU doesn't have all the necessary connections for specific graphics card, then it is not capable of supporting it.

Can you show a photo of label printed on PSU?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

The PSU has a 4+4 pin and a 6+2 pin.
The 6 pin fits well, the others don’t at all.
4+4pin cable is for 12V CPU connection. You can not use this connector for graphics card.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
right if it does not have the right connections, then it is not the right psu for the system.

you need one that can power the card from the correct connections. that "500w" psu is likely not even able to provide 500w. save yourself a lot of grief and get something worthy of running a system "for the master race"

if you need help picking something, we can easily help offer options if we have a budget and where you live/prefer to buy from.

Virtue5333

Distinguished
May 26, 2014

Virtue5333

Distinguished
May 26, 2014
right if it does not have the right connections, then it is not the right psu for the system.

you need one that can power the card from the correct connections. that "500w" psu is likely not even able to provide 500w. save yourself a lot of grief and get something worthy of running a system "for the master race"

if you need help picking something, we can easily help offer options if we have a budget and where you live/prefer to buy from.
Thanks for the reply it’s much appreciated. I was almost certain the PSU wouldn’t be up to the task, thank you for confirming it.

I usually buy my parts from the following website

can you please recommend a decent GPU under 40/50 that’ll connect to the PNY GTX 970? (Remember it has 6 + 6)

View: https://imgur.com/a/i6GIFyt

Once again, many thanks in advance.

Virtue5333

Distinguished
May 26, 2014
what will be the rest of the system spces? everything has to be factored in to decide how much is needed overall.
Remaining specs are as follows:
i3 10105f (purchased last year, never used until now)
16GB RAM (spares from couple years ago)
PNY GTX 970
1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue HDD (ancient!!)

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador

Virtue5333

Distinguished
May 26, 2014
On your list, I would try the Seasonic Core GC-500.
It should have a 7 year warranty.
https://seasonic.com/core-gc#specification
You might want to invest in something stronger since the I3-10100 is a quite capable processor and could run a stronger graphics card in the future.
Thank you for the suggestion. The only reason I’ve used the GTX 970 is because I had it lying around from many years ago, if my nephew really does get into PC gaming (I hope he does) then we’ll upgrade to something more recent and capable.

geofelt

Titan
Thank you for the suggestion. The only reason I’ve used the GTX 970 is because I had it lying around from many years ago, if my nephew really does get into PC gaming (I hope he does) then we’ll upgrade to something more recent and capable.
Here is a handy psu sizing chart:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm
Sometimes there are factory overclocked versions that need more power.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS