Question Nvidia GTX 970 switching off on a Sony Bravia (4K)

jonesmalaco

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2014
OK, my 970 video card is randomly "switching off" on a 4K Sony Bravia KD-43X705F. I tested with nVidia latest drivers (446.14), and with Windows 10 default drivers. Normal boot mode and safe mode. Tried 2 ports at HMDI 3 (ARC) and HDMI 2. With and without the voltage stabilizer. No dice. Never tried any programs, even less games, obviously. Video card is randomly switching off, only by navigating windows (or just by leaving it idle). Sometimes it takes 5 seconds, sometimes 5 minutes. It's not any "sleep" or power settings, checked them all.

Then I tried on a Full HD (1080) Samsung in the other room. It doesn't switch off, so I gotta assume it's the Sony TV. Any ideas would help a lot.

Thanks in advance.

Andyme177

Prominent
Apr 26, 2020
Is a static feedback shorting it out? Does your arm hair stand up when you run your arm behind the TV? Back of TV might have a build up of static some devices detect it and shut down instead of die. Could be not getting right amount of power from PSU. Dust in the fans can cause static too!

also try re-configuring the GPU

Last edited:

jonesmalaco

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2014
Is a static feedback shorting it out? Does your arm hair stand up when you run your arm behind the TV? Back of TV might have a build up of static some devices detect it and shut down instead of die. Could be not getting right amount of power from PSU. Dust in the fans can cause static too!

also try re-configuring the GPU
thanks for the reply. The GPU is mounted on a kraken G10 with a corsair H55 watercooler. I assembled this way back in early 2016. I can see that the fan on the kraken is not spinning, for whatever reason (it’s not dirt). I thought only the H55 would hold the temperature, but after checking them with GPU Temp it showed a whooping 65 up to 85 (!!) degrees, without running anything but idle desktop Windows 10 with no background! And it’s winter where I live in, so those temperatures are totally abnormal... Both H55 fans are spinning, but I’m not sure if the waterblock’s functioning / water is circulating. ‘Cause even with the kraken fan NOT spinning, the temperature is just too high...

Last edited: