Nvidia Halts Chipset Developments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your chipset drivers (and even your video drivers) were stupid anyhow - anyone who has tried integrating nvidia driver packages into any mass/unattended install images will agree here - they all clash and cant all get along at all.

I say good riddens.

nicklasd87

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
definitly, especially with the x58 chipset, there is no need for that nforce crap. When nvidia says they will stop making gpu's is when I will start loosing sleep over it. I don't think nvidia can afford to stop developing gpus.

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
[citation][nom]Robert Sherbin - Nvidia[/nom]"But because of Intel's improper claims to customers and the market that we aren't licensed to the new DMI bus and its unfair business tactics"[/citation]

You just have to laugh at this, Nvidia one of the most unethical companies of recent times (in the tech industry) complaining about unfair business tactics.

Tell us Mr Sherbin is it fair business tactics to get developers to enable things like anti aliasing on your products and disable on competitors products a la Batman Arkham Asylum?

Tell us Mr Sherbin is it fair business tactics to disable PhysX on users who want to use their old Geforce cards for dedicated PhysX and use a Radeon as the primary video card?

Tell us Mr Sherbin is it fair business tactics to take advantage of the greedy and stupid by initially charging an unprecedented $650 for a GTX280 video card? (this one might be ok)

The sad thing is if this was AMD I would back them up since it's Intel and no doubt Intel as being a-holes to Nvidia but this time around I don't really care. This is a classic case of the the pot calling the kettle black.

Inneandar

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
@dan101rayzor: no, this has nothing to do with GT300

Geez, what's with all the hate...
What this means is intel is killing decent integrated graphics for intel CPU's. If you don't want to invest in discrete graphics, an nvidia chipset is often your best option (unless you choose AMD of course).

I guess if you want a decent mid/low end integrated graphics PC, you'll have to go AMD/ATI, as ATI has pretty decent integrated too. I for one never had much problem with NVIdia chipsets, but I have heard of a lot who did.

ceteras

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2008
nvidia chipsets might not have been the greatest, but less competition is never a good thing for us, consumers.

I say this is another example of how intel's aggressive ways could translate to less innovative products on the market, and possibly higher prices for us.

skora

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
Maybe we can convince Nvidia to spin off the chipset section and allow for open source hardware design and they make the products and sell them. Its seems to be a fad to take down overbearing monopolistic companies by going open source. If you can't work with intel, and you can't beat them, take their legs out from under them. Follow the OS and virus scan paths. Look at all the big money companies those initiatives have pissed off!!!!

I'm against any company that thinks courtrooms are a place to gain market share. But it is more lucrative to hire a law firm than build a better cheaper product than then next guy. And the bottom line is the only line.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]Jeanluc[/nom]You just have to laugh at this, Nvidia one of the most unethical companies of recent times (in the tech industry) complaining about unfair business tactics.[/citation]
Everything is relative. Compared to Intel, who threated its partners so that that they refused to get AMD CPUs FOR FREE, they are angels.

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
Wow, lots of hate and fanboyism here. Yet I won't be surprised if GT300 turns out to be another G80/G92 and everyone jumps onboard. Customer royalty only last a few months apparently.

BTW, in case the fanboys forget, it was Nvidia's nForce and nForce2 that got AMD into performance PC. Before that, AMD's own chipset are expensive and lack lots of features.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
1 more thing not to like intel . They realy hate competition that badly. Too bad there are shitloads of ppl who for few % in performance still sustain intel in their quest to overtake the PC industry after that they won`t be able to buy even a midrange CPU from their beloved performance king so they will start to look for shitty cheap cpus .

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
I mean let`s assume that AMD wouldn`t exist now, you won`t be seeing ppl looking into buying a Core i7 920 (wich would of cost about 1000$+) for their gaming rig but would be looking at a E5400 in the range of 300$.

Ryun

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
Man, that really sucks. High power consumption was always present on some of the higher end chipsets but generally nVidias chipsets were solid (I have a 680i humming along just fine upstairs).

I don't see why they can't just make AMD chipsets though. While I surmise that the market for an expensive AMD system with SLI is quite low, I'm sure chipsets with an IGP that can do multi-channel digital audio via LCPM (a la 9300 MCP) would do just fine.

dheadley

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
Say whatever you want, but Nvidia's chipset's in years past allowed a lot of people that build their own systems to build much higher performance and feature rich systems at a much lower price point than anything available from Intel.

I've used boards built on their design for my gaming rigs for years and am on my 5th Nvidia motherboard/AMD CPU/SLi combination, and have built 6 other non-SLi systems as well for our house. While their drivers are definitely hit or miss on the quality, the hardware has never let me down yet. I've had a dozen motherboards, at least 25 video cards and never had any problems with a single one.

On the other hand prior to switching to Nvidia, I used to build a lot of single processor Intel and dual processor systems starting with Pentium/Tyan Tomcat boards right on through Xeon's and have had a lot of motherboard failures on Intel's "server" class boards that I paid 3 times the money for. I remember a time when I was building dual Pentium Pro systems that one Intel board I used was such complete trash that I had 6 fail in a 8 month period and started finding the $500+ board at flea market computer shows for under $100 in less than 6 months because everyone thought they were junk.

Nvidia chipset's no problems and great performance from integrated video, Intel chipset's lots of problems and returns plus crappy performance from integrated video. Tough choice.

I hate to see consumer choice limited by a few dominant companies but I have to say that I will not miss mobos with nVidia chipsets. After owning 3 mobos with nVidia chipset (original nForce, nForce2, and nForce4), only one of the three was worth the money. Between compatibility issues and mobos maker implementation issues, I have and will stick with Intel and AMD chipset mobos. Sorry nVidia, your gpu's are great but your chipsets were just aight...

Well... From an outsider's perspective, when you have a loose cannon for a CEO who enjoys telling his (supposed) parthers about how terrible they are and about how his great new stuff is going to take over the markets - it shouldn't be surprising when those partners give said CEO instructions on various ways to p*ss up a rope.

I'm not saying it's fair. I'm not saying it's right. But I am saying nVidia have to be idiots for not seeing it coming.

mowston

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2007
With the new Lucid chips, I guess Intel said "We don't need no stinking SLI". And Nvidia can't afford to disable multi-GPU on Intel chipsets. I wonder if Nvidia will license SLI for use on AMD boards now though, or if AMD will use Lucid.

Status
Not open for further replies.