News Nvidia Increases Market Share as GPU Sales Explode: JPR

Ah! Some numbers. So according to https://www.businesswire.com/news/h...-Hit-New-Record-High-in-2020-According-to-IDC, the number of "gaming" desktop and notebook shipments totaled 40.7 million in 2020.

So if took the 2020 data in this article, it showed that 41.5 million discrete graphics cards were shipped. And since this includes laptop and desktop components... Well that doesn't seem to leave a lot for the retail market.

Sleepy_Hollowed

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2017
Unless AMD does something about scalping, and capitalizes that you really can’t find NVIDIA cards while you can find AMD cards at three times the mato, that’s something to think about.

I know oem systems are a huge part (most) of the pie now but still.

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
Ah! Some numbers. So according to https://www.businesswire.com/news/h...-Hit-New-Record-High-in-2020-According-to-IDC, the number of "gaming" desktop and notebook shipments totaled 40.7 million in 2020.

So if took the 2020 data in this article, it showed that 41.5 million discrete graphics cards were shipped. And since this includes laptop and desktop components... Well that doesn't seem to leave a lot for the retail market.

Majority of the CPUs and GPUs goes to brands like Dell, Lenovo, HP etc.... These companies have a contract which pretty much guarantee their supply. Even in event of shortage, they are given priority.

Thats why I have been saying DIY market is a very tiny market segment.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
Unless AMD does something about scalping, and capitalizes that you really can’t find NVIDIA cards while you can find AMD cards at three times the mato, that’s something to think about.

I know oem systems are a huge part (most) of the pie now but still.
While I agree that this is a good opportunity for AMD to increase market share, but it is not as straight forward as what you mentioned. TSMC have limited capacity given the fact they mentioned they are overwhelmed with orders. So between producing CPU or GPU, I feel the former is more profitable to AMD and they are selling like hot cakes. GPU uses a lot more die space, and therefore, more costly to produce, and I suspect less profitable. So given the fab constraints, if they need to prioritize what to produce, they will likely choose CPU.
I am unsure how they get the stats on GPU sales, but it is not unexpected that Nvidia sells better. Nvidia Ampere cards are preferred by miners for their mining efficiency vs AMD's graphic solution. With 1 miner snapping up multiple cards, it is no surprise that Nvidia will outsell AMD.

hannibal

Distinguished
True. Also it seems that Samsung can provide more capasity to nvidia than tsmc to AMD so it all is about who can outproduce… and at this moment nobody can produce enough…

eichwana

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2015
Is this shipped cards or cards installed in Pcs? If it’s shipped there’s a good chance that there’s a whole pile sitting around in scalpers back rooms, and sitting there mining.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Nvidia's financials look great. I see a lot of buzz like this for them on financial sites. It's great to see the PC market uptick since older, slower computers are a complete and total pain.

I do find it curious that financial news seems to be fixated on how much of an impact cryptocurrencies are making on Nvidia's (and AMD's) numbers, and whether or not gamers will be there to support both companies if crypto crashes hard. Nvidia insists that the gamers will still support their financials. Nobody is talking about the elephant (Intel) about to enter the GPU room. Personally, whatever brand loyalty I felt towards Nvidia prior to the 30-series is gone.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
AMD GPU's aren't MIA because of scalping. There is evidence indicating AMD is jacking up prices themselves to the point of making scalping unprofitable. Prices for AMD's GPU on Newegg shuffles have been absurd for weeks, typically about twice MSRP. That's way more than Nvidia cards. 6700 XT MSRP's at $479. They've been in the mid $900's on Newegg. The one on today's shuffle is $960. 6900 XT MSRP's at $999. One on shuffle today is $1719. If you look on Ebay, there is no profit to be made scalping either of those cards.

In comparison, the 3060 is $330, one today is $400. Considering it is an AIB, it's barely marked up at all. The 3070 MSRP's at $500. The one today is $730. 3080 MSRP's at $700, one today is at $1070. There is significant profit to be made scalping all these cards on Ebay.

Considering how much better Ampere is at mining than RDNA2, it's not surprising that Nvidia cards are selling for more above MSRP than AMD cards on the second hand market. So it makes no sense that AMD cards are selling for so much more from Newegg. If it was Newegg or a distributor jacking up prices, they would be doing it equally for both brands, or if they were to choose one it would make more sense to increase Nvidia's more, not AMD's. Combine this with AMD having to find a way to financially justify continuing to produce GPU's in a market where it makes far more sense for them to be producing CPU's with their limited capacity, and there is ample evidence that AMD themselves has jacked up prices. Anyone thinking that AMD isn't trying to maximize their revenue just like all the other semiconductor companies has lost touch with reality. They're just being sneekier about it than the competition.

Majority of the CPUs and GPUs goes to brands like Dell, Lenovo, HP etc.... These companies have a contract which pretty much guarantee their supply. Even in event of shortage, they are given priority.

Thats why I have been saying DIY market is a very tiny market segment.
Yeah, despite how much the internet wants me to believe DIY gaming PCs are the majority, I've met plenty of people who would rather buy a laptop or a pre-built desktop than build their own.

I mean, if DIY gaming PCs were such a majority, why do Dell, HP, and heck even Lenovo continue to have a gaming focused segment? Why do companies like CyperPowerPC, iBuyPower, and others exist? Clearly there's a large market for pre-built gaming PCs if this space has so much competition.