Nvidia Ion Named "Best Enabling Technology"

Status
Not open for further replies.

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
"Nvidia that affordable PCs built around the ION platform should hit retail outlets sometime this summer."

Please proof read your articles.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
im gonna really laugh out loud when i find a thread on these forums of a person asking why it's running CoD at 5fps on this platform... really really loud

G

Are these available on current laptops? I've been waiting for a good gaming laptops for world of warcraft. I'm currently playing on an XPS but it just doesn't cut it in huge 25 man raids and long hours of farming instances for wow gold.

The full HD thing is promising, too. Imagine bringing your 15" laptop somewhere and hooking it up to a Bravia. Sweet, sweet HD goodness.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]im gonna really laugh out loud when i find a thread on these forums of a person asking why it's running CoD at 5fps on this platform... really really loud[/citation]
You can play CoD5 on it, but you definitely can't max it out.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
These would be brilliant for in car entertainment or as alternative to thin clients. I bet with that graphics chip, they could even do basic autocad stuff (like converting line drawings to a format that a cnc or similar system can read). Plenty of possibilities. IF the price matches what physically bigger mashines can provide.
How big's the power supply for this thing ? With that small sized pcb, it must be bigger than the actual components it powers!

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
probably the size of power adapters found in laptops.

[citation][nom]neiroatopelcc[/nom]These would be brilliant for in car entertainment or as alternative to thin clients. I bet with that graphics chip, they could even do basic autocad stuff (like converting line drawings to a format that a cnc or similar system can read). Plenty of possibilities. IF the price matches what physically bigger mashines can provide.How big's the power supply for this thing ? With that small sized pcb, it must be bigger than the actual components it powers![/citation]

G

doesn't seem that it'll be an useful platform for torrent-reliant htpc users... BDrips are cpu dependent rather gpu dependent.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
Thats because NVIDIA has had their head on straight for awhile now. They screwed up with teh bug in Vista and their GPU's but their software and hardware development has always been top notch. ATI/AMD just takes NVIDIA's design aspects and throws more of everything at it, but cant for the propreitary stuff. Good job NVIDIA

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
Nvidia is really moving in the right direction here. As more apps begin to take advantage of GPGPU this platform will really start to shine. This year we should really start to see more and more apps taking advantage of these options. Should be self detecting as well without having to enable apps to take advantage of GPGPU acceleration.

G

Torrent BDRips are almost always encoded in x.264. Thus giving them their approx. 10GB size. This chip has support for x.264 on the GPU. Therefore, it will play the rips fine. It may be another story if you try to play a 40GB raw BD file or an actual BD disk through an external drive or something.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
I'm somewhat annoyed Nvidia won't offer this to us enthusiasts. I know I would buy one, but I suppose with all of the customization, it would be a bit limiting to offer only a single option.

Status
Not open for further replies.