News Nvidia Is Halving the Ethereum Hash Rate of New RTX 3080, 3070, and 3060 Ti Cards

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I'm having deja vu...
Huh, this IS a slightly different article.

There's no making everyone happy here. Due to how volatile crypto is, Nvidia can't do anything about it without some kind of leash... everyone has a different opinion of whether the leash is needed or not.

There's people who are strongly against this - they should have the freedom to use the hardware they bought as they see fit, and what have you.
But I imagine not doing this results in future crypto gold rushes being just as big as the current one, but these folks don't mind waiting the rushes out..?
Not putting a limiter costs Nvidia money due to the influx of 2nd hand card sales to come later.

Then there's those who are strongly for this. It does mean Nvidia has more control over the relative markets - not everyone's a fan of that idea - but it can lead to future crypto-booms having a smaller impact than they do now.
The mining specific cards will lead to more e-waste though when they inevitably burn out.
This one will saves Nvidia money, or increases their profits more.

There's also the neutrals/don't cares.

Sadly, Nvidia is going to go where the money(more) is - a leash will lead to more profits than no leash.

This is the same exact thing Intel and AMD do with product differentiation tiers. Or to put in other words, it's like making the distinction between Quadro and GeForce cards, so clients have a way harder time to mod their cards for a "free upgrade" on features nVidia wants you to pay for. If you want to mine, yeah, we have a product for that which is 10x the price because reasons.

As a regular consumer, I do not like when Companies force product differentiation like this, but it's now commonly accepted by us peasants so there's nothing much to argue... I think? It's on a similar vein to ECC and RAM.

We as consumers have already accepted this, so good riddance.

Cheers!

Blacksad999

Reputable
Jun 28, 2020
So what about altcoins? If the limiter only works against Etherium, the card could still be profitable for other coins.
Pretty much any other coin isn't worth mining, at least in Western markets. They'll net you something like $1.50 a day after electric costs. If you were in SE Asia or whatnot, that might be worth it. However, the GPU itself would be prohibitively expensive for most people there, so that's not really a scenario that will play out.

Well governments around the world are going to eventually crack down on cryptocurrency because there's nothing in it for them (control with regulation and tax revenue specifically). It is only a matter of time before big governments out there like from the US and China start cracking down on it like making it an illegal transaction currency for businesses - including 2nd and 3rd tier currency transfers (IE: Bitcoin -> PayPal -> Bank Account or Store Purchase). It's only a matter of time, and for we gamers where powerful GPUs are now in 5th generation XBox and Playstation consoles we cannot get any more than a new GPU, it cannot happen soon enough.

EDIT: Looks like I spoke too late. Already in the works from an article released just hours ago on Forbes!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jonath...nfringing-on-financial-order/?sh=64c875878987

Last edited:
Reactions: daworstplaya

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
I'm having deja vu...
Huh, this IS a slightly different article.

There's no making everyone happy here. Due to how volatile crypto is, Nvidia can't do anything about it without some kind of leash... everyone has a different opinion of whether the leash is needed or not.

There's people who are strongly against this - they should have the freedom to use the hardware they bought as they see fit, and what have you.
But I imagine not doing this results in future crypto gold rushes being just as big as the current one, but these folks don't mind waiting the rushes out..?
Not putting a limiter costs Nvidia money due to the influx of 2nd hand card sales to come later.

Then there's those who are strongly for this. It does mean Nvidia has more control over the relative markets - not everyone's a fan of that idea - but it can lead to future crypto-booms having a smaller impact than they do now.
The mining specific cards will lead to more e-waste though when they inevitably burn out.
This one will saves Nvidia money, or increases their profits more.

There's also the neutrals/don't cares.

Sadly, Nvidia is going to go where the money(more) is - a leash will lead to more profits than no leash.

Yea, I was thinking much of the same thing. I'm on the fence on this one, and quite stuck on it. I've been wanting to get a new GPU for some time now, still using a pair of 1080ti's in SLI. My driving force of wanting a new GPU is for gaming. But, I also don't see a problem with turning on mining apps if I'm not sitting in front of my computer gaming. That literally paid for my second 1080ti before.
So, I'm kinda pissed about all the miners buying up all the stock on the GPUs, driving up the prices, etc. But I'd also would have liked to have the option to turn on mining while I'm not gaming for a little extra cash. I'm on permanent disability, so other than my disability cheque (I'm Canadian, lol), mining is/was another small source of income.

Reactions: Phaaze88

daworstplaya

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
This can't come soon enough. Gamers have been suffering for far too long while, cryptominers are just polluting away and creating e-waste. For those complaining about not being able to mine on your card, don't buy the card if it doesn't suit your need or go buy the CMP series cards or go buy AMD cards and pay the extra for the feature.

Reactions: 10tacle