Question Nvidia kernel driver stopped working and has recovered

Jun 27, 2019
I have a gtx 970 and it runs games on 100+ fps but my game still crashes and displays this error "nvidia kernel driver stopped working and has recovered". Please help none of the threads I've looked at have been able to fix this for me.

Jun 27, 2019
I have tried reinstalling drivers, installing beta drivers, reverting to some really old 2018 drivers. It happens on multiple games: RUST, Squad, Counter-strike. GPU temps under load are always under 75 degrees celsius my fan speed is set to 90%. It also happens when I don't have my GPU on overlocked settings.
EDIT: When the driver crashes the screen also blinks for a couple of times and goes full black for around 5 seconds and after it has recovered the PC is very laggy until I close out of the game that crashed.

Jun 27, 2019
Could be issue with PSU. What PSU model do you have currently?

Also could be issue with GPU. Aggressive overclock shortens life of components. Your graphics card may have deteriorated because of this.

I don't know the PSU's model but I know it outputs 550 watts as far as I remember correctly.

Talking about overclocking I have only added 200MHz to core clock and 400MHz to memory clock.

The problem also started when I upgraded my cpu, motherboard and rams, before that it was fine with no problems.

You can find out PSU model name by reading label on PSU.
Any OC means additional stress to components and in prolonged use can cause deterioration.
Please list full specs of your pc before and after upgrade.

Did you reinstall windows after the upgrade? If you don't do that, various performance/stability issues can surface.

Reactions: PC Tailor
Jun 27, 2019
You can find out PSU model name by reading label on PSU.
Any OC means additional stress to components and in prolonged use can cause deterioration.
Please list full specs of your pc before and after upgrade.

Did you reinstall windows after the upgrade? If you don't do that, various performance/stability issues can surface.

I closed wallpaper engine and right now it hasn't been crashing.
Here are the specs.
Before:
CPU: i3-2120
RAMs: 12gb of ddr3 in total (4gb ddr3 & 8gb ddr3)
Mb: I don't remember anymore but it supported sandy bridge architecture processors.
After:
CPU: i5-8400
RAMs: 16gb of dd4 @2666MHz (2x8gb)
Mb: AsRock H310

I reinstalled windows and with that also all the drivers.