Nvidia Launches Qualification Program To Help Identify VR Ready PCs

Status
Not open for further replies.

HotRod5353

Distinguished
May 20, 2011
One thing I never see mentioned in articles about VR or Oculus requirements is dual cards. I have two GTX760's SLI and don't know if that will be enough because SLI or Crossfire never seemed to be addressed in any article I've read so far.

HotRod5353

Distinguished
May 20, 2011
One thing I haven't seen discussed so far is SLI or Crossfire. I have two GTX760 cards and I have no idea if that will be enough.

surphninja

Honorable
May 14, 2013
Are they really aiming to make it easier, or pushing you to upgrade your not yet obsolete video card? I suppose it's better than their usual method of intentionally bogging down your card to convince you to upgrade.

I wonder which AMD cards would pass their qualification test.

cletus_slackjawd

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
Doesn't seem to me a 970 gtx will be enough for consistent 90 fps in 2016, but what do I know. Also my i5 3750k is still a first tier CPU and they are saying not enough? I wonder why.

HotRod5353

Distinguished
May 20, 2011

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Even a 3 way SLI GTX 980 ti will not meet these requirements. Remember, that 90FPS figure is a minimum. How many games have you see with great visuals, that can also hold a 90FPS mimimum.

VR will not be too appealing if visuals overall have to be toned down significantly in order to ensure that high end systems can maintain a high minimum frame rate.

I have used the newer oculus rift (demo) and while it is a cool experience, it loses the cool factor really quickly since the demos use dated graphics on a platform where visuals play a more important role.

With non VR, it is easy to accept non visually stunning content, especially of the gameplay is great, but with VR, you can't really skimp on the visuals, or you end up with an experience that does not last much beyond the initial novelty, as they are needed to maintain a more true sense of realism in terms of the feel of the visual experience.

HotRod5353

Distinguished
May 20, 2011

I don't understand what you're saying? Tons of games support SLI and crossfire.

AnimeMania

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2014
If the desktop computer VR industry wanted wide adoption, they should make it possible for desktops to run the same VR programs that smartphones use. I am sure most people's desktop computers can outperform the latest smartphones in CPU and GPU functions. This would also greatly increase the number of VR titles available and allow people to gradually update their computers while becoming more acquainted with the idea and usefulness of VR.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
I thought the whole thing about this new vr wave was that it was suppose to be "affordable". Apparently you need to sink a lot of money into your rig now.

Gurbo

Reputable
Apr 30, 2015
Doesn't seem to me a 970 gtx will be enough for consistent 90 fps in 2016, but what do I know. Also my i5 3750k is still a first tier CPU and they are saying not enough? I wonder why.
"970 and up" sounds like 390 and up, maybe even 290/290x if you OC them. 380x would be a bit of a stretch, I think, but we'll see in a short while.

This is more pointless than minimum and recommended configurations for games.
Who cares what is recommended if the devs can make games like watchdogs, batman arkham knight etc.

Its simply too early to make predictions as well as buying those items.
Its not even out yet.

Skunkwerx_6_Actual

Reputable
Jan 1, 2016
As with any new gimmick I usually wait a year or two for the 2.x or 3.x version. I'm done paying to debug this crap. 30 years I've been a system builder and whenever the newest new stuff comes out it means it's already obsolete when you can buy it. Remember phone 9600baud, 24400, 48800 Modems for dialup internet? then DSL? How about flat screen plasma and LED monitors? Always expensive as hell at first with the price dropping rapidly after the first year or so. Have fun with that. Marketing dweebs shouldn't be allowed to breed until they're 30 or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS