News Nvidia May Be Nixing 12-pin PCIe Connector On The RTX 3070

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
From the beginning, the connector was already a bit of overkill since no modern graphics card sips that much power. Even AMD's infamous Radeon R9 295X2, rated with a 500W TDP, didn't come close to 648W.

I really hate when this type of warped logic is used. The new connector is not only relevant to cards that use 648W. This connector would benefit any card that requires more than one 8 pin connector, which is about 225W including the PCIE slot. There are many dual 8pin cards and there have been AIB cards going back years that use three 8 pin connectors. Is anyone going to argue they'd rather run 3 8pin cables/connectors to their video card instead of one of these 12pin?

Joseph_138

Distinguished
I really hate when this type of warped logic is used. The new connector is not only relevant to cards that use 648W. This connector would benefit any card that requires more than one 8 pin connector, which is about 225W including the PCIE slot. There are many dual 8pin cards and there have been AIB cards going back years that use three 8 pin connectors. Is anyone going to argue they'd rather run 3 8pin cables/connectors to their video card instead of one of these 12pin?

And yet, no AIB is using the 12-pin connector. They are all sticking with 6 and 8 pin connectors, even on their most power hungry cards. It is clearly an attempt to get the AIB's to license the connector and inflate Nvidia's profits at their expense.

I don't have a problem with the 12-pin on the 3080 and 3090 as such. It's very weird on the 3070, though, since it's only using a single 8-pin connector on the other end. Just from a pure economics perspective, including the 8-pin to 12-pin adapter isn't free, so Nvidia is spending extra money for no clear benefit. Very odd that the 'new' 3070 render has moved to the 8-pin, though, without any other note about it.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
And yet, no AIB is using the 12-pin connector. They are all sticking with 6 and 8 pin connectors, even on their most power hungry cards. It is clearly an attempt to get the AIB's to license the connector and inflate Nvidia's profits at their expense.
There's no licensing fee. It's Nvidia's own design, of course they're the only one using right now. Somebody always has to be first.

Last edited:

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
I don't have a problem with the 12-pin on the 3080 and 3090 as such. It's very weird on the 3070, though, since it's only using a single 8-pin connector on the other end. Just from a pure economics perspective, including the 8-pin to 12-pin adapter isn't free, so Nvidia is spending extra money for no clear benefit. Very odd that the 'new' 3070 render has moved to the 8-pin, though, without any other note about it.
Doesn't really make sense on the 3070 which only needs one 8pin. Maybe it simplifies board design if all three cards are using it. Also puts more cards in the field using the connector which could encourage PSU support for it. The current adapter is a pretty clunky solution.

Reactions: Shadowclash10

Shadowclash10

Prominent
May 3, 2020
Also puts more cards in the field using the connector which could encourage PSU support for it. The current adapter is a pretty clunky solution.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking as well. Everyone knows how slow it can be to push a new standard for anything - this could be Nvidia trying to push it on every Ampere card so that by the time next-next-gen cards launch, (hmm, are we still calling Ampere next-gen, or.... 😂), (wherein we could see the 4070 and below need more than 1x8 pin), PSU manufacturers have adopted the 12-pin for the most part.

FYI, I got an email from Nvidia saying this story is "wrong" and that the image is just an earlier render that had the 8-pin connector. Which seems stupid -- how did a tweet with an older render go out? -- but the official word right now is that the 12-pin on the Founders Edition is here to stay.