News Nvidia May Prep GeForce GTX 1630 To Rival Radeon RX 6400

InvalidError

Titan
It is a sad day when companies can relaunch 4-5 years old entry-level products to "compete" with the competition's newest entry-level products. Shows just how uncompetitive the entry-level market has become.

CoD611

Commendable
Dec 10, 2019
If it's cheap enough, I honestly wouldn't mind having it as a backup GPU (since there's no integrated graphics on the Ryzen 5900X) and/or for extra display outputs.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
When they first mentioned the RX 6400 being released for the desktop, I idly wondered/speculated if Nvidia would bring out a sub-1650 GPU . . . not at the level where I'd say "I called it" but I did wonder.

But given that the 6400 performs at about 1650 level, I didn't think there'd be much of a reason. Possible, but not definite.

InvalidError

Titan
When they first mentioned the RX 6400 being released for the desktop, I idly wondered/speculated if Nvidia would bring out a sub-1650 GPU . . . not at the level where I'd say "I called it" but I did wonder.
Remember when Jensen used to say people would be stupid to buy non-RTX GPUs? If he was true to his words, Nvidia should be launching a GA107 RTX3030.

Reactions: King_V
this is no RX6400 rival. nvidia saw the interest for GT1030 going up because of mining. nvidia decision to make GT1630 probably stem from this. by the time next mining wave arrive pascal most likely already at the end of it's main driver support . pascal is 6 years old at this point. nvidia typically support their card for 8 years in main driver. so they simply need the replacement.

edzieba

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2016
The reason for existence of "why would a consumer ever buy one of these at retail" cards is simple: they are for OEMs, and a retail launch with token or no marketing is nearly free money.
e.g. OEM wants an Nvidia GPU to offer as an option in their dropndown system configurator alongside an AMD GPU. An AMD GPU (regardless of efficacy) is available for $x, so OEM wants an Nvidia GPU for $x, and go to Nvidia saying "we want a GPU for $x, we don't care about its performance, and we intend to buy 100,000 per month for the next 10 months". Nvidia thinks that x million dollars is x million dollars, and worth pumping out a tiny chip design - based on an existing chip design (using lowest binned almost-reject dies) slapped onto a lowest-possible-cost PCIe board - for a contractually guaranteed revenue stream and continued mindshare from that OEMs customers.