[SOLVED] Nvidia MX250 vs Intel® UHD Graphics for 10th Gen Intel® Processors

Aug 21, 2021
Hello
New to this so hope this is the right forum.
I am buying a Huawei laptop with a 10th Gen Intel® Core™ i5-10210U processor and 512gb SSD. It has two different options:
  1. 16 mb RAM but no dedicated GPU or
  2. Nvidia MX250 but with 8mb RAM
Which if these two setups is best for general university study (mostly office tasks and maybe some video editing) along with the ability to play some games, albeit I know at low resolutions. Battery life is also important.

Thanks for you advice - the actual computer is here - https://consumer.huawei.com/uk/laptops/matebook-d-14-2020/buy//

Kernowsims

Solution
All graphics cards are assigned a portion of regular memory. Around 4 gig. but this value is changed as needed by windows. If something else needs it and the graphics card does not windows will re- allocate it as necessary.
Aug 21, 2021
All graphics cards are assigned a portion of regular memory. Around 4 gig. but this value is changed as needed by windows. If something else needs it and the graphics card does not windows will re- allocate it as necessary.
Thanks. One last question....
If I don't upgrade the main RAM (i.e. I stick with 8mb), would the build with the MX250 & 8mb RAM generally outperform the build which doesn't have the GPU (i.e. only has UHD) but has 16MB main RAM? I am thinking about overall performance across various tasks, including light gaming.
Thanks for your help!

For light gaming and most tasks 8 gig is plenty. Heavy gaming and rendering/encoding would benefit from more ram, but since this is an entry level laptop go with the MX250 model.
If needed the ram can be upgraded later. But the video card can not be added later.
Gaming and other tasks that can use the CUDA cores of the MX250 will be faster. And with an SSD for use as virtual memory ,the 8 gig will not be as slow as waiting on a spinning hard drive.
More RAM only speeds things up if/when your program uses more than you have.

Reactions: Kernowsims