Nvidia: OEMs to Blame for Re-branding GPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.

NapoleonDK

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
I don't care. about their stupid excuses. Rebranding is stupid. They can get away with it MAYBE once, but only with some hella overclock and aftermarket cooler.

turboflame

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
Nvidia explained to Bit-tech that it is something that OEMs want in order to keep their spec sheets looking fresh and cutting edge.

So they chose to slap a new label on something old rather than actually making something fresh and cutting edge.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Are they selling these overclocked, more memory, etc or are these just a straight renaming? Cause that's kinda bull. Not unprecedented for Nvidia, though I'm not sure if ATI has ever done it.

4745454b

Titan
Product Manager "Sir, the OEMs want new products so they can have something fresh to sell and keep their sales up."

JHH "Do we have anything?"

Product Manager "No sir, still trying to get Fermi to work."

JHH "Well, you better rebadge something then. We don't want to look like we are doing nothing around here. Don't forget to blame them for our needing to do this."

Product Manager "Yes sir, excellent idea."

Sigh.

mrcmark

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
And they think they can get away with it. Why put the blame on others when you obviously made you decision on rebranding. kinda stupid.

cammmy

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
"So they chose to slap a new label on something old rather than actually making something fresh and cutting edge."

Uh, GF100? Sounds pretty new and cutting edge to me.

So they rebranded something for OEM's and quietly launched it. So what? It's not like they had a massive campaign for it saying "look at this awesome new technology we have"

conanstwin

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
The sole purpose of complete rebranding is to in some form decieve the customer. The practice is unethical and should be stopped unless there actually are "significant" differences, which there aren't any here. An acceptable practice for example is to take the original name and place "OC" on it because it is over-clocked.

It seems as though there are a lot of armchair CEO's around here, what corporations do you guy's run again? I only ask because you seem to know so much about how the corporate world works I can't help but wonder if you type that diatribe out yourselves or do you dictate it to a PA.

avericia

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
A perfect example is the GT240(8800gt) with 1gig of ddr2 memory that came with my cousins new h_p desktop he got a few months ago for photoshop.

Although for under $800 with an i5 750, 8gigs ddr3 and a 1tb hard drive,win7 and a warranty its still a good deal.

mrcmark

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
I personally don't want nvidia to fall down. I want more competion in the gpu segment. Competition brings innovation and keeps prices in check which consumers profit. But this kind of tactics I dislike in a company (just like what intel did to amd). I personally feel cheated.

siuol11

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
[citation][nom]conanstwin[/nom]The sole purpose of complete rebranding is to in some form decieve the customer. The practice is unethical and should be stopped unless there actually are "significant" differences, which there aren't any here. An acceptable practice for example is to take the original name and place "OC" on it because it is over-clocked.[/citation]
You obviously have no idea what you are talking about. Do a Google search for "Nvidia G92 re-brand", then come back and talk smack.

siuol11

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
Damnit, quoted the wrong guys. Sorry. ::hides in shame::

this is the guy I meant to quote:
So they rebranded something for OEM's and quietly launched it. So what? It's not like they had a massive campaign for it saying "look at this awesome new technology we have"

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]joeman42[/nom]The larger question is, why is this necessary only for Nvidia and not ATI?[/citation]
NDIDIA sells more GPUs to OEMs than ATI. Go and configure a Dell desktop and you'll find at most one Radeon card in the options, and usually only for the XPS line. Customers don't want to see the same options every time they buy. Although it's still NVIDIA's fault that there are no other real options in their lineup since the 8800GT anyway.

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
[citation][nom]ronch79[/nom]8-Series > 9 Series > GTX 200 Series > GTX 300 Series.Is this correct?Was the 8-series that good? I don't think even Intel can pull off such a feat. Like, sell us a Pentium 4 which is only a rebranded Pentium classic running 33MHz higher and sporting a new logo.[/citation]

The 8800GT was an amazing card IMO. The reason it's made it so far is it OC's well, and as tech advances, it still packs the power to game, just not as much as newer cards. Not to mention there hasn't really been any exciting advances in game graphics since Crysis.....and the rebranding does mostly end up in barebones and OEM pc's, in other words the people who use rebranded cards could care less and/or hardly know better anyway :)

berserker29

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
I'm torn as to which is worse.

Giving the same hardware a new model name

-OR-

Giving the same model name new hardware specs. (But look how much faster THIS GTX 260 is!)

[citation][nom]brendano257[/nom]The 8800GT was an amazing card IMO.[/citation]

Yes it was. That's why we've been buying them every year as if they were new since 2006.

Status
Not open for further replies.