motherboard: gigabyte GAMA-770-DS3
PSU: coolermaster 600W
Processor: AMD Atholon X2 6000
Ram : Hynix 2gb single slot 800mhz
GPU : nvidia 8400gs
my board dosen't have onboard vga.
I want to buy
nVidia Geforce gtx 480
but having an amd processor i thought ati would give better performance . Is it true ?
what would be it's equivalent in ati?

Solution
Processors do not favor specific brands of video cards. Motherboards don't either except in terms of crossfire/SLI and your motherboard can't do either so it doesn't matter.
The GTX 260 and 275 are years old and outdated. They are not cards you should be looking at unless you are finding a good deal on them used.
The HD5770 I mentioned is the current ATI equivalent of the GTX 260 and probably the best you should bother with on your current monitor although it will likely be limited from its full potential by your processor unless you upgrade it.
It really doesn't matter. You shouldn't be looking at high end video cards like the GTX 480 with such an old processor. Your motherboard does support AM3 processors however so you should look into getting a Phenom II x4 IMO.
The GTX 480 is outdated. The GTX 570 or HD6870 are better choices for similar performance.

Your motherboard can actually handle AM3 processors;
http://club.myce.com/f7/gigabyte-ga-ma770-ds3-rev-1-0-supports-am3-cpu-306295/
As for the video cards you should be looking at current cards, not older ones. If you were initially looking at the GTX 480 you should instead be looking at the GTX 570/560 Ti or on the AMD side the HD6950/70. From the previous series the HD5850 is a nice card that can be found at a good price($150) lately.
Exactly what model PSU do you have and what is the native resolution of your monitor?

saikesav

Distinguished
May 10, 2011

my psu is coolermaster{RS-600-PCAR-E3}
my display is samsung{ syncmaster 798mb plus}

Your power supply is not a good one and questionable at best for high end cards. It lists two rails at 18 amps each but doesn't give the combined rating. 36a would be 432w which isn't terrible but the combined rating is often much lower than adding the individual rails. I would replace it before considering any of the cards mentioned.
That said your monitor is a 17" CRT and only supports low resolutions while these cards are intended for high resolutions. You can just get something lower end and cheap like an HD5770 and will be quite good for your current monitor and should be alright on your current power supply.

saikesav

Distinguished
May 10, 2011
i wish to take gtx 260 or gtx 275. Shall i prefer nvidia or choose ati equivalent ?

does my power supply support for these cards?

i have a gigabyte board. Should i prefer gigabyte for purchasing above chipsets ?

Processors do not favor specific brands of video cards. Motherboards don't either except in terms of crossfire/SLI and your motherboard can't do either so it doesn't matter.
The GTX 260 and 275 are years old and outdated. They are not cards you should be looking at unless you are finding a good deal on them used.
The HD5770 I mentioned is the current ATI equivalent of the GTX 260 and probably the best you should bother with on your current monitor although it will likely be limited from its full potential by your processor unless you upgrade it.

Solution

majesticlizard

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010

That processor will bottleneck any video card above a GTX 470 or HD 6870; possibly above a GTX 460 or HD 6850 as well.
The amount of memory you have will bottleneck ANY video card.

The GTX480 is not "outdated" as it has roughly the same performance as the GTX570, however it will not run at full speed on your system so there would be no point.

saikesav

Distinguished
May 10, 2011

i tried for hd 5770 in my area. I couldn't get it. so is there any alternative for hd 5770 in hd 6000 series which is stable in my configuration ?

mattyd2011

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
DOM'T BOTHER WITH ATI to b honest after having an ati 4870hd graphics card i'll never touch an ati product again supposed to be the fastest card in the world yeah right the drivers are rubbish no consideration is taken into game coding just seems they make the drivers just so windows recognises the card the shaders well what shaders is all i can say to that it makes loads of noise runs far to hot for what its actually doing which is nothing and ati overdrive what a joke that is all in all on a scale of 1 to 10 ati=0.5 for all things Nvidia = 7 bottom line get an nvidia card their the best ati are just well behind same with their rubbish processors no wonder intel and nvidia are leaving ati/amd in the dust for fools who buy the crude products sooner they go out of business the better it will be for pc gamers

Status
Not open for further replies.