Nvidia or Ati for playing avi/mpeg videos

G

I've got to choose between:
Nvidia Geforce2Go or ATI@Rage Mobility for a Notebook.

Which one is the best for playing *.avi or *.mpeg fluently and fullscreen (720/576)?
Which one has better video overlay?

Thanx
Telemako

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Although Radeon guys will fight me on this, I own both and say the image quality is about the same for videos. But...the Radeon will use less system overhead doing it, which makes it the choice if your running a lot of other stuff in the background.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
That is kinda interesting, is that on a TV set or your monitor? I can tell the difference between my MX400 and Radeon64 DVD quality. Do you have Adaptive de-interlacing on with the Radeon? Which version of ATI DVD player are you using. If you are not using the ATI DVD player then you will not be using Adaptive-interlacing. Also the MX400 will band close colors while the Radeon will correctly blend the colors. This is due to the 10bit DAC of the Radeon which the GF's only have a 8bit DAC. On a typical television I would say the quality would be pretty close to each other. For a high end televsion or HDTV or Monitor the Radeon will clearly be better. Peoples perception does vary in color as well as sharpness so for some there will be no difference while others may notice a big difference.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I tried it on both my monitor and the television. The ATI card was maybe just a little better, but barely noticeable on the monitor, and even less noticeable on the television.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

G

The GeForce2Go is quite better than the Rage Mobility.

Surely the mobile computer you buy will have enough processing power to play videos of any kind.

DAD, MUM, I LOVE YOU SO MUCH (...AND MY COMPUTER IS GETTING RATHER OLD)

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
GF2go is the one I would choose between the two. If it was a MobileRadeon then I would have test them both out to determine which one I wanted. I don't think I would do to much gaming on a laptop but you never know.