Nvidia Outs its Beefy Tesla K40 Accelerator Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
But...can it run Crysis? (runs for cover)

Can't wait for the benchmark comparisons on this!! Can't wait for a game that gives this card a run for its money...oh wait...next-gen consoles have been released, and they're inferior...guess it won't happen ;(

Flying-Q

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
@ joshskorn - this is an accelerator card. It does not have any graphics outputs. The backplate is just a vent grille, just like the K20 and K20X. It is a GPGPU. It is designed for the acceleration of SIMD and related parallel processing.

Flying-Q

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
@ joshskorn - this is an accelerator card. It does not have any graphics outputs. The backplate is just a vent grille, just like the K20 and K20X. It is a GPGPU. It is designed for the acceleration of SIMD and related parallel processing.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
"The manufacturers that will be producing the card include Appro, ASUS, Bull, Cray, Dell, Eurotech, HP, IBM, Inspur, SGI, Sugon, Supermicro and Tyan."

While they may be wrong here, they are in FACT saying IBM will make cards in this post. Catch that "will be producing the card" part? I believe they really meant manufacturers using OR producing the cards, but maybe I'm wrong here. Either way, the post is directly saying IBM makes cards, along with all the others mentioned.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
But yes, the source says "NVIDIA Tesla K40 is already available for purchase. It will soon be offered through server manufactures: Appro, ASUS, Bull, Cray, Dell, Eurotech, HP, IBM, Inspur, SGI, Sugon, Supermicro and Tyan."

So as I said, I think they meant available in the server box OR made by, not all these people are producing cards. Then again the actual post kind of sounds like just as part of the server, and not talking the CARD itself at all but maybe that's just me reading more than I should into it ;) I think Tom's misreported this.

dipique

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2013
I'm not sure why @somebodyspecial was downvoted, but he is correct. The source article clearly states that it will be offered through IBM, the server manufacturer. Typically server manufacturers assemble components like these, limiting their true manufacturing to cases and occasionally motherboards & PSUs.

twoperrin

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013
......."The manufacturers that will be producing the card include Appro, ASUS, Bull, Cray, Dell, Eurotech, HP, IBM, Inspur, SGI, Sugon, Supermicro and Tyan." All you have to do is read! Beside IBM has been in the component business along time why wouldn't they manufacture the cards?

Look at the Source article that the Tom's author read at VideoCardz.com
http://videocardz.com/48026/nvidia-launches-tesla-k40-packed-12gb-memory

NVIDIA Tesla K40 is already available for purchase. It will soon be offered through server manufactures: Appro, ASUS, Bull, Cray, Dell, Eurotech, HP, IBM, Inspur, SGI, Sugon, Supermicro and Tyan.

and from NVIDIA's own Tesla K40 Accelerator Press Release:

Availability
Shipping today, the NVIDIA Tesla K40 GPU accelerator is available now and in the coming months from a variety of server manufacturers, including Appro, ASUS, Bull, Cray, Dell, Eurotech, HP, IBM, Inspur, SGI, Sugon, Supermicro and Tyan, as well as from NVIDIA reseller partners.
Nowhere is there any mention of the card manufacturer(s). It mentions the server manufacturers that will be offering it as an option in their servers.

The Tom's article's author makes statements that aren't true and are not supported by any fact checking.

dipique

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2013

Go to the source; interpretations can be misleading.

IBM has manufactured a laundry list of components, but to my knowledge, they have never manufactured video cards. More to the point, they manufacture products based on their own core technologies; this would be manufacturing a product wherein the majority of the profit would go to the IP holder (Nvidia, in this case). IBM has many higher-margin channels to leverage capital.

Status
Not open for further replies.