Nvidia Partners Working On Titan X, Quadro External GPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.

ledhead11

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014
So basically scrap the idea of the ridiculously overpriced SLI laptop monstrosities(I have one). Get something with adequate CPU/Ports/battery life for a good price and then hook up to one of these with a matching display.

ffffwh

Commendable
Nov 30, 2016
Current available eGPU chassis is too bulky, wasting too much space. I would like to have something compact and just-fit for a reference card.

Draven35

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
these are... less bulky than some i have seen. Keep in mind that the cards going in them are Titan X and Quadro P6000s so they are not small cards.

Draven35

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
The Alienware uses a proprietary connector. They are taking the existing Thunderbolt 3 ones and creating driver support and standards for them. The Thunderbolt boxes have existed since TB1, for people using certain systems with no expansion slots.... (i.e. the current PowerMac, Mac Minis, etc)

ledhead11

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014
Yes it's true. External GPU boxes have been around a while now. I don't remember the first but I'm pretty sure it wasn't Alienware. From proprietary to non there have been many. At E3 there's usually 3-6 every year and at least at many on kickstarter. Thunderbolt really was the catalyst for them but I think there might have been a couple of really strange ones during USB 3.0 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.