Nvidia physx worth it? CPU physx good enough?

Kakorat119

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014
Hey guys,

Im building a new pc, and I've decided on 2 graphic cards to choose.
Gtx 780 (evga sc acx edition)
R9 290 (sapphire cooling, it's very quite and cool)

I was considering the feature that come with the 780. Gpu boost 2.0, physx, geforce experience, better driver support ect.
Then mantle came out. The 780 currently costs $20 extra, and once you reach the max of your budget, even $10 seems like a lot.
The 290 has more raw power, including an extra gig of VRAM and a huge 512-bit memory bus.

I know i can run physx off my CPU if i get the 290, but will my CPU(i7 4770k with hyper 212 evo) overheat under too much load? Will I need the extra features of nvidia? Im currently on a gt 520m so I haven't used physx yet, and coming from a gt 520m to a 780/290 is a huge leap.

Will I notice too much with gpu physx vs CPU physx? I'm looking forward to games like watch dogs, which is nvidia optimized. I've looked at physx in metro last light and it looks pretty neat.

What do you guys think?

Imo, Nvidia PhysX is completely worth it. It looks amazing in games that utilize it well, like Metro: LL or Borderlands 2. The Witcher 3 is supposed to use it as well.
Putting it on the CPU with an AMD card will decrease your performance quite a lot in games using heavy PhysX.

Kakorat119

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014

Oh, so you dont reccomend CPU physx? Ok. How about mantle? Does physx have any advantages over mantle? Or des mantle beat physx.

Mantle and PhysX are completely different. They both have large advantages over each other, but neither of them has really been used to their potential, so it's hard to say what will happen in the next few years. I consider PhysX more worthwhile than Mantle for my personal use (which is why I'm still planning on an Nvidia card next time I upgrade it), but I don't think one is objectively more important to the gaming community as a whole. At least, not yet.

I recommend PhysX, and no you can't run it on the CPU. I mean you can, technically, but it will kill your framerate and many PhysX games won't allow you the option of enabling full Advanced PhysX effects without a Nvidia card installed. Since these types of threads are heavily biased by the poster's brand preference, I recommend you go to YouTube and check out some videos of PhysX in action to see for yourself.

Since you're stacking up the pros and cons of Nvidia vs AMD, really all the 290x has going for it is Mantle. Mantle will not give you much of a boost on a high-end machine. It was made mainly to assist lower end systems... and on only two buggy games at that. All the same, with the announcement of DirectX 12, it appears that Mantle is not going to be around for long.
http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/nvidia_directx_12_is_huge_improvement_for_gaming.html

Nvidia on the other hand has several great technologies, not just PhysX, that really do have an impact on your gaming. Adaptive VSync alone is worth sticking with the Nvidia card, but ultimately, you gotta go with them for their driver support and forward-thinking technology development.
http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/nvidias_tba_dx11_will_be_better_than_mantle.html

Kakorat119

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014

Hmm....after reading the articles seems like nvidia is worth it. The big driver for dx11 and upcoming dx12 can do good. Guess the 780 is the way to go.

TRENDING THREADS