Nvidia Primes Optimus Mobile Graphics Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.

r3t4rd

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Is it just me or did you think "Transformers" when you read the title?!?[/citation]
LOL...yes I did. Funny the Article's Headline uses "Prime" and "Optimus".

And thinking about Transformers....I remember, to this day, watching Transformers: The Movie back in the 80's at the theatre, and when Prime died...*sniff sniff*...I cried - really. Almost brings that nostalgic surreal feeling backing thinking of it.

G

@r3t4rd

I think the title was intended to make a play on the name of the product ("Optimus") in order to make a Transformers reference...

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]pickleme[/nom]@r3t4rdI think the title was intended to make a play on the name of the product ("Optimus") in order to make a Transformers reference...[/citation]
Really? You think?

r3t4rd

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
[citation][nom]pickleme[/nom]@r3t4rdI think the title was intended to make a play on the name of the product ("Optimus") in order to make a Transformers reference...[/citation]
I couldn't have figured that out...thanks for the help.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
Is James Pikover a new Toms writer? This article was clear, informative and not slathered with opinion.

If this really will increase my battery life and provide me a gaming notebook and a normal notebook in one I'm all for it.

jamezrp

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
I'm glad you guys liked the title. It would have been more transformer-ish, but there's only so far you can swing without hitting yourself in the face.

Raishi

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
[citation][nom]r3t4rd[/nom]Just another way for Nvidia to keep people buy only Nvidia.[/citation]

You have got to be kidding me. The fanboy-ism gets more and more ridiculous. You're really going to trash talk Nvidia for coming up with a useful new feature?

This is what tech companies -should- be doing, convincing consumers to buy their product over the competitors by offering new and better features. They aren't doing anything shady, there's nothing you can complain about; no fake cards, no re branding issues, no delays. Just a new feature that a lot of people will be able to make good use of.

I swear, Nvidia could invent tech that cures cancer, AIDS, and the common cold, and people here would insist it was just a cheap marketing scheme and they should be boycotted for it.

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
So can they apply this to existing laptops with Nvidia compatible graphics and the Intel compatible processors or do they have to be Optimus certified? My question simplified is: Do I have to wait for the new laptops or will this work with existing laptops?

thejerk

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
1.) Develop dual-mode highly efficient 2D, truly reasonably-powerful 3d mobile graphics.
2.) Integrate into chipset.
3.) Sell millions and millions to the now huge mobile PC audience, and spread the development costs across the board, barely increasing retail pricing.
4.) Profit.

Raishi

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
[citation][nom]doomtomb[/nom]So can they apply this to existing laptops with Nvidia compatible graphics and the Intel compatible processors or do they have to be Optimus certified? My question simplified is: Do I have to wait for the new laptops or will this work with existing laptops?[/citation]

"Nevertheless, it's important to note that current notebook designs and GPUs will not work with Nvidia’s Optimus technology. Only newer models featuring Optimus-enabled GPUs with a built-in Copy Engine (explained below) will work, including the following: the GeForce 200M-series, 300M-series, upcoming GeForce M and ION GPUs."

r3t4rd

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
[citation][nom]Raishi[/nom]You have got to be kidding me. The fanboy-ism gets more and more ridiculous. You're really going to trash talk Nvidia for coming up with a useful new feature?This is what tech companies -should- be doing, convincing consumers to buy their product over the competitors by offering new and better features. They aren't doing anything shady, there's nothing you can complain about; no fake cards, no re branding issues, no delays. Just a new feature that a lot of people will be able to make good use of.I swear, Nvidia could invent tech that cures cancer, AIDS, and the common cold, and people here would insist it was just a cheap marketing scheme and they should be boycotted for it.[/citation]
I never stated that I was an ATI Fanboy...did I?

[citation][nom]Raishi[/nom]Only newer models featuring Optimus-enabled GPUs with a built-in Copy Engine (explained below) will work, including the following: the GeForce 200M-series, 300M-series, upcoming GeForce M and ION GPUs."[/citation]
Precisely my point.

Why not enable this for all GPU's? Regardless of ATI or Nvidia....but in this case...its Nvidia making another ploy to keep you buying Nvidia. It is just like PhysiX.

r3t4rd

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
And just for you nut job people who scream fanboy-ism...I own all Nvidia Video cards. Perhaps it would be wise to not jump to conclusions before you open ur mouths and bite off more than you can chew. And perhaps try a civil conversation and then determine if the person is what you perceive them to be. Raising ur fists and shaking it at someone is what Liberals do.

LOL..had to add that in there. Flame on....!!!!

necronic

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
This is pretty darned complicated stuff, so it's not surprising that it is hardware dependent. The whole concept of hybrid GPUs have been around for a couple years already, but this is a massive refinement on that concept.

"Optimus employs several notable changes to both the hardware and software designs currently in use"

Anywho, its just dumb to think you can slap any software/firmware on any hardware. For some reason people who think they know tech make this mistake all the time.

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
"Why not enable this for all GPU's? Regardless of ATI or Nvidia....but in this case...its Nvidia making another ploy to keep you buying Nvidia. It is just like PhysiX."

So tell me... How many Dragon platforms are optimized for Nvidia cards? What efforts are being made by ATI to facilitate their competition? Any efforts being made to have an AMD chip that can be SLI certified? Oh that's right.... They would be stupid if they did. I don't know why people think its wrong for companies to try to turn a profit on their millions of dollars invested in R&D. The point that could be taken from this is ATI will answer with their marketable equivalent at some point if they see it as profitable for them, not out of kindness, generosity or spirit of community.

r3t4rd

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
[citation][nom]necronic[/nom]Anywho, its just dumb to think you can slap any software/firmware on any hardware. For some reason people who think they know tech make this mistake all the time.[/citation]
Explain Nvidia's "rebranding" then. All Nvidia did was slap a new driver name (softeare), updated the firmware, on thier old hardware. Or you can say whats the difference between ATI/Nvidia's top Consuer Video Card and thier Top Professional Workstation Video Cards? - Nothing just firmware, Software...on the same peice of Hardware.

So to answer your question...its being done all the time.

CptTripps

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
[citation][nom]r3t4rd[/nom]I never stated that I was an ATI Fanboy...did I?
Precisely my point. Why not enable this for all GPU's? Regardless of ATI or Nvidia....but in this case...its Nvidia making another ploy to keep you buying Nvidia. It is just like PhysiX.[/citation]

I don't know about fanboy (don't care), but your first comment was ridiculous.

"Oh Nvidia is trying to get people to buy only their products". Ya think?

Raishi

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
[citation][nom]r3t4rd[/nom]Explain Nvidia's "rebranding" then. All Nvidia did was slap a new driver name (softeare), updated the firmware, on thier old hardware. Or you can say whats the difference between ATI/Nvidia's top Consuer Video Card and thier Top Professional Workstation Video Cards? - Nothing just firmware, Software...on the same peice of Hardware. So to answer your question...its being done all the time.[/citation]

You seem to have a pretty poor understanding of this technology. Rebranding video cards is nothing like this. Read the article you're commenting on. This is a new hardware feature, dependent on changes to the architecture, it can't just be enabled retroactively on older hardware. That's like asking why Intel doesn't just enable Core i7 on their older Core 2 CPUs. Well, obviously, they don't because it's some sneaky ploy to make you buy new CPUs, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.