Nvidia Q1 Financials Mostly Positive, Icera Issue May Cast Pall

Status
Not open for further replies.

none12345

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2013
Wow financials for Q1 2016 eh? Thats amazing that they can see 1 year into the future! Or are cooking the books!

Or you guys made a typo, probably that one!

mctylr

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2010
"Fiscal year" is accounting term which companies use to delimit their financial accounting. For various, mostly boring reasons many companies do not use a fiscal year that follows the (Gregorian) calendar year, that is January 1st to December 31st.

My employer uses one that runs from April 1st year N to March 31st year n + 1. So for us, the current fiscal year is 2015-16, running from 1st April 2015, to 31 March 2016.

I suspect that the Nvidia uses the shorthand of listing only the year when the fiscal year ends (e.g. 2016 for my previously mentioned 1st April 2015, to 31 March 2016) .

That said, yes there is some needless confusion arising from omitting the distinction of fiscal year from calendar year in a non-finance publication like Tom's.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015
That said, yes there is some needless confusion arising from omitting the distinction of fiscal year from calendar year in a non-finance publication like Tom's.

I started off the artical by mentioning that "Nvidia's fiscal Q1 ended" in April.
I apologize that it seemed misleading. It felt redundant to keep repeating it.

Nvidia's fiscal year starts on January 26th, and therefore it seems they are reporting a year in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS