Nvidia Quadro p2000 & p4000 SLI

Sep 15, 2018
Hi,
I just finished building a server machine with a friend and purchased the p2000.
If I go with the p4000 in the future, can I join them with SLI to get better performance? Or are they incompatible because they are different quality, size, etc.?

Solution
But unless you mapped program(s) to CPUs, you don't have much control over where a program is executing. A program could map all it's GPU I/O to it's first thread. That thread could be moved to any available CPU. Worrying about PCIe mapping to CPUs is probably more details than are worth worrying about for typical commercial software.
Those work with unlike gpus for final render/output if they do support multiple gpus. Many parts only use a single gpu like viewports/preview window. Sli will in fact decrease performance or cause issues for most content creation software. How much multi gpus help depends on the software. Davinci doesn't improve much but certain 3d renderers will scale linearly because how they can separate work.

Sep 15, 2018
So if I had an instance where the p2000 is running for 1 cpu and p4000 for the other, would I get more speed if I had 2 monitors connected to the p4000? Will p2000 help be a data cruncher?
I will stay away from Sli.

You don't specify gpu to a certain cpu in those software. It doesn't matter what monitor is connected to what gpu. You can have none connected to the other as long as it's seen, it will be used. Actually I should correct that, the main monitor should be on the p4000 because the other uses that only use a single gpu.

Sep 15, 2018

They have specified pci slots 2 for cpu1 and 2 for cpu 2. I’m sure if I put 2 cards on cpu 1, performance would be lopsided.
thanks for the reply.

kanewolf

Titan
But unless you mapped program(s) to CPUs, you don't have much control over where a program is executing. A program could map all it's GPU I/O to it's first thread. That thread could be moved to any available CPU. Worrying about PCIe mapping to CPUs is probably more details than are worth worrying about for typical commercial software.

Solution