Nvidia Releases GeForce 314.22 WHQL Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerm1027

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
[citation][nom]bigpoppastuke[/nom]http://www.tomshardware.com/news/N [...] 21711.html[/citation]
This article is fail on so many levels... 6 days late, double post, and the source isn't direct... just... fail.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
[citation][nom]bigpoppastuke[/nom]This has already been posted 5 days ago.http://www.tomshardware.com/news/N [...] 21711.html[/citation]

LOL. This is what we call a slow week. Pretty sad filler article though. Bring back your greatness cutting edge news reporting Toms. Come on now.

JackFrost860

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
how dos a change to driver code improve the performance of one video game over another and what do these changes do to existing games that are many years old like the original Far Cry (yes i still like to play it once in a while)?

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
[citation][nom]JackFrost860[/nom]how dos a change to driver code improve the performance of one video game over another and what do these changes do to existing games that are many years old like the original Far Cry (yes i still like to play it once in a while)?[/citation]

This is a rule of thumb so not an exact science but...

New drivers affect new games as they tweak specific settings to allow the game run smoother as the driver includes profiles for a massive list of games so it is these profiles that are tweaked, not the actual drivers or software.

When a new series of GPUs are released then the drivers and the game profiles are tweaked by new driver releases. However, this will only improve for the vast majority only for the first couple of new drivers releases after that the new line of GPUs. After this things settle down and again it is more down to profile tweaks for individual games.

As for old games... if you have one of a new GPU line then you may notice a few improvements for the first couple of driver releases. If you have an older GPU and are playing an older game then you will most likely not get any performance benefits from newer drivers.

Well... with everybody putting hours into the new game of the year BS:I, its understandable. The real news is when is AMD going to follow suit. BS:I is performing much better on Nvidia than it is on red team, and its a supposed AMD optimized game at that.

Uhh... NO. You still need drivers and such (which constantly need improvement) for open source alternatives such as OpenGL, which I may add that OpenGL doesn't do everything that DX does, but rather only is really capable of replacing Direct 3D and not the rest of the DX package AFAIK.

Well, some TWIMTBP games liked AMD more than Nvidia at times, so it's not entirely surprising IMO, but you have a point, granted I think that it's a little exaggerated.

Status
Not open for further replies.