News Nvidia Reportedly in No Rush to Boost RTX 40-Series Output

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Nvidia clearly intended to charge more for their consumer line-up this gen until the botched RTX 4080 12GB bit them in the back side cutting into what they had intended to charge for the part.
The list price of the RTX 4070 Ti is in line with the RTX 4090, in terms of perf/$ and GB/$. It's actually the RTX 4080 (16 GB) that's overpriced by at least $100. ...or so I thought, until I saw the deep learning benchmarks that rank its perf/$ exactly inline with the other two. Still, that it's not selling as well as the others is a bit telling.

if the 4080 12GB hadn't unlaunched,
It didn't unlaunch - they just rebranded it the RTX 4070 Ti.

it appears like Nvidia is intent on pissing off their gaming base all the same.
I think the mining boom gave them a distorted sense of what people were willing to pay for gaming cards. Then, they designed GPUs to higher price points than before, leaving them little room to cut prices. Then, along came ChatGPT, Stable Diffusion, etc. and saved their bacon.

Reactions: KyaraM

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
It didn't unlaunch - they just rebranded it the RTX 4070 Ti.

Ummm they very much unlaunched it do you not remember the headlines?

But yes it was rebranded the 4070Ti this is true.

I think the mining boom gave them a distorted sense of what people were willing to pay for gaming cards. Then, they designed GPUs to higher price points than before, leaving them little room to cut prices. Then, along came ChatGPT, Stable Diffusion, etc. and saved their bacon.

Yeah this pretty much sums it up. I am not thrilled as a gamer but at least so far its nothing like the crypto boom as far as scalpers go. High prices right now are just a casualty of of high msrps sadly. Nvidia got out of touch with gamers. Eventaully the market should course correct I would think. Time will tell...

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Ummm they very much unlaunched it do you not remember the headlines?
Okay, I hadn't realized the rename happened after the official announcement. I thought the 12 GB model had only been rumored, up to that point. It definitely happened before the first-sale date, at least. There are no RTX 4080 (12 GB) cards in the wild, as far as I'm aware.

Yeah this pretty much sums it up. I am not thrilled as a gamer but at least so far its nothing like the crypto boom as far as scalpers go. High prices right now are just a casualty of of high msrps sadly. Nvidia got out of touch with gamers.
As long as their new generation provides significantly better perf/$ than the previous generation, I don't see why it matters where the top-end card is priced at.

I mean, how many people actually cared, when they launched their Titan RTX at $2500? It was priced so far beyond the 2080 Ti that most gamers just ignored it. It was basically aimed at folks doing deep learning.

I think the naming/numbering is part of the problem. There are certain people who have an idea in their head that they want to buy a x080 card, and get upset if it's too expensive. If they had:

1. Changed their entire naming scheme.
2. Done a near-simultaneous launch of all product tiers (unrealistic, but I can dream...)

...then I think it would've quelled at least some of the outrage.

Last edited:

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
As long as their new generation provides significantly better perf/$ than the previous generation, I don't see why it matters where the top-end card is price at.

I mean, how many people actually cared, when they launched their Titan RTX at $2500? It was priced so far beyond the 2080 Ti that most gamers just ignored it. It was basically aimed at folks doing deep learning.

I think the naming/numbering is part of the problem. There are certain people who have an idea in their head that they want to buy a x080 card, and get upset if it's too expensive. If they had:

1. Changed their entire naming scheme.
2. Done a near-simultaneous launch of all product tiers (unrealistic, but I can dream...)

...then I think it would've quelled at least some of the outrage.
I very much agree. I am not one complaining about RTX 4090 prices, 80 Ti, titan or any other high end flag ship/ultra enthusiast part from a given gen. Those parts have always been priced at considerable mark ups. But yeah adding some new sku's would have likely been wiser. And a top to bottom launch or at least close, would have helped as well. Having cards from 250ish-1600 or more if assuming they dropped a 90 Ti/Titan card, would have covered the broad market more thoroughly and left gamers with less fud for their given price/performance range.

You're not wrong in that Nvidia has groomed consumers into certain expectations for certain tier cards, intentional or not. I expected the 80 series to be expensive albeit sub 1000 but what we got this gen was out of hand IMO. And as you go down the stack its much of the same just to lesser extents. Both 4070 Ti an 4070 cards could have been far more exciting with as little as 75 or 50 dollar price cuts respectively, especially considering some of the vram issues cropping up in some games. At the end of the day we get what we get and we can only hope for a new cheaper player like Intel to make solid headway in the market. But Nvidia certainly could have done more to course correct how the 4000 series generation was accepted by the gaming community.

Reactions: bit_user

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
To be honest, I'm in the same camp as some of these gamers. I just have the luxury of having no immediate need to upgrade. However, I turn up my nose at any card with a memory bus < 256-bit. I always bought 256-bit or 384-bit cards. Upgrading to a 192-bit card feels like a step down, even if it's a lot faster than what I've got.

Likewise, I have been continually upping my price threshold, for a GPU. I used to think it was a good idea to spend roughly the same on your CPU and GPU, but doing that now would lead to a very unbalanced configuration.

I almost bought a RTX 3080 (12 GB or Ti), but prices never dropped quite low enough. I'm half-considering a RX 6800... might have a hard time resisting, if prices drop any lower.

Reactions: atomicWAR

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
To be honest, I'm in the same camp as some of these gamers. I just have the luxury of having no immediate need to upgrade. However, I turn up my nose at any card with a memory bus < 256-bit. I always bought 256-bit or 384-bit cards. Upgrading to a 192-bit card feels like a step down, even if it's a lot faster than what I've got.

Likewise, I have been continually upping my price threshold, for a GPU. I used to think it was a good idea to spend roughly the same on your CPU and GPU, but doing that now would lead to a very unbalanced configuration.

I almost bought a RTX 3080 (12 GB or Ti), but prices never dropped quite low enough. I'm half-considering a RX 6800... might have a hard time resisting, if prices drop any lower.
AMD is becoming more compelling, as long as your not looking for halo performance levels. Between more vram and slightly better prices they're hard to ignore in the current market. I wish you luck in you hunt for a GPU!

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I wish you luck in you hunt for a GPU!
Yeah, I'm in no rush. I just want to upgrade some time before the next big price spike, whenever that happens (maybe something geopolitical??).

I hope Intel follows through with the rumored refresh of the Alchemist lineup, as I could probably be satisfied with a 16 GB A770, if performance and power were a little better. Not that it uses a ton of power, but it idles pretty hot. And my GPUs spend most of their time idling.

Last edited:
Reactions: atomicWAR

kal326

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The years of 2021-2022 were very hard for gamers in search of new hardware. GPUs were overpriced and non-existent, and the 5th generation consoles were non-existent at big box store retailers and E-commerce sites. Those E-sites like Newegg and Amazon that had sellers for said consoles (and GPUs) that were scalping for outrageous prices. There were shuffle lotteries for both GPUs and consoles to buy at retail price, and only a handful "won."

After four months in 2021, I won a Newegg shuffle for an EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 but it was tied to a questionable quality EVGA SuperNOVA G+ 850W PSU as a package. Fortunately I had a buyer for that PSU so it was able to buy a better one. I'm wondering how many just gave up on PC gaming builds and the GPU prices and just started buying Xboxes and PS5s for their 4K gaming needs once the consoles started becoming back in stock last year. I'm also wondering how many are holding on to older generation GPUs and just not even caring anymore.
I too would be interested in seeing the numbers on games sales and console sales. PS5 and Xbox Series X are fairly common place now to see in stock, but we are also well into that hardware cycle. So production should be pretty much buttery smooth at this point. Granted this was a fairly unprecedented hardware cycle given supply and economic conditions. When current gen new graphics cards are basically the cost of a whole console still. There are going to be shifts to consoles. Especially considering outside of the AAA all the bells and whistles RT 4K 60+ fps games there isn’t a lot that older GPUs can’t run well enough.

Sure there are always going to be the PC master race bros running something like Cyberpunk at 4k with everything maxed, but I’m guessing those are getting fewer and fewer than you need a $1600 card alone with a $700-800 display to even make it worth while.

I’ve got a Series X and a 3080 12GB that’s going to be solid at 1440 for a while. Given that it performs on level with a 4070, the only thing Nvidia has to sell me at this point is efficiency. It’s going to take a lot of saved power to offset that $599 at least price.

JamesJones44

Reputable
Jan 22, 2021
Might want to check that one again. Enterprise revenue surpassed gaming revenue a while back for Nvidia, with the gap widening every quarter.

Q4 results
Gaming - $1.83 billion
Enterprise - $3.62 billion

Adding in other non gaming revenue, and gaming is less than 1/3 of Nvidia's revenue.

Fy 2023
Gaming - $9.07 billion
Enterprise - $15.01 billion

The days of Nvidia being a gaming focused company are gone and not coming back.

Adding to this. Part of the Fy 2023 numbers include some portion of crypto mining (their 2023 fiscal year started May 2022), which they lumped in with the gaming segment revenue. If you were to back that out those numbers would be even more skewed to the datacenter/enterprise.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
I certainly do expect Nvidia's gaming revenue to bounce back to at least as high as its earlier peak. The precipitous drop in gaming revenues isn't a trend - it's a temporary correction.

And, again, we lack a crystal ball. I wouldn't bet against Nvidia's datacenter success, but the tech is moving fast and developments like processing-in-memory or upstarts like Cerebras can change a lot within a year or less.
Bounce back to what? The reason gaming revenue was so high a year ago was because of crypto, not some freakish boost in PC gaming interest.

Nvidia's software stack will ensure they are major players in the enterprise/professional markets for years to come even if they don't have the best performing hardware.

Reactions: JamesJones44

closs.sebastien

Honorable
Feb 9, 2018
4070 is actually pretty close in power requirements. Certainly the most efficient card they've launched in a long while.

RTX2070 is 175W for the stock version, 185+ for custom cards.
RTX4070 is 200W nominal with 223W maximums observed and 188-ish average.

If you have a quality 650W, I would not have any qualms about running an RTX4070.
Yes, it's a Seasonic FOCUS Plus 650 Gold

Reactions: Why_Me