News Nvidia reportedly releasing a new and weaker RTX 3050 6GB to replace the already anemic 8GB variant

Status
Not open for further replies.

BX4096

Reputable
Aug 9, 2020
Because that's what a trillion dollar company with its stock up 221% from last year and tons of free "AI" money coming in for at least a decade to come needs. To "save on production costs" by screwing the poorest of its customers, many of whom don't know better, even further.

Reactions: ivan_vy

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Because that's what a trillion dollar company with its stock up 221% from last year and tons of free "AI" money coming in for at least a decade to come needs. To "save on production costs" by screwing the poorest of its customers, many of whom don't know better, even further.

More like they have piles of bad dies and not enough demand from the mobile market to make a SKU there, and there is always a market for 'good enough' discrete graphics.

GTX1630 was certainly the silliest in recent memory.

If they can drop 115W to 75W, that might be worthwhile for example.

More like they have piles of bad dies and not enough demand from the mobile market to make a SKU there, and there is always a market for 'good enough' discrete graphics.

Considering the reported information talks about "replacing", I think what you're hoping for has a very slim chance of happening.

This is nVidia after all. The Way You Are Meant To Be Played.

Regards.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Considering they have yet to launch a 4050, got to have something down there.
Considering the reported information talks about "replacing", I think what you're hoping for has a very slim chance of happening.

This is nVidia after all. The Way You Are Meant To Be Played.

Regards.
I expect the price to be high, since that seems to be the way they like to launch their low end cards.

GTX 1650 is sitting at $160, RTX3050 at $230. So they'll probably try to squeeze it in at $200. It will be the worst price to performance out there, as usual, but as long as it has an NVENC encoder and is low power enough, it has a purpose.

A380 is $120 right now though, certainly not going to be priced that low.

The specs are already confirmed by IT-HOME Chinese news outlet. The card sports the same GPU die featured on the MOBILE "refresh" RTX 3050 6GB SKU.

It will use the "GA107-325" GPU die, along with 6GB VRAM on a 96-bit wide memory bus, with lower clock speeds. The TDP would be 75 Watts, and the card won't require any external power connectors.

Although the RTX 3050 Mobile Refresh 6 GB sports 2560 cores, there is also a 2048 cores SKU in the works as well according to one AIB brand.

Since the RTX 4050 is pretty much MIA at this point, and the RTX 4060's 8GB sales are being impacted by the previous-gen RTX 3050 cards, that's the main reason for releasing this cut-down SKU (reason cited by one of the board partners, GALAX).

Last edited:
Man glad I didn't get nvidia this go around. Just caught a deal on a 6800xt I think this will hold for a while for me. Sad part here is the people with the least money and possibly least knowledge of PC's will be the people buying those new 3050's.

ilukey77

Reputable
Jan 30, 2021
I just dont know why people keep supporting Nvidia ..

If the 3 2080s , 3 3080s countless amounts of different 3060s and 3 different types of 4060s now and to top it off they are going to release a 3050 6gb card in 2023.. ( and thats being nice there are far more cards that sole purpose is to keep people buying better and better )

even the gt 1630 and 2060 re release last gen :(

WTF is wrong with people ??

The only card worth buying from Nvidia is the 4090 !!

Crying AMD drivers are bad is a weak excuse to buy this junk over and over and support this behaviour ..

May come off as a fan boy but very far from the case i like to think im a realist and think logically ..

Take last gen there was ( until the better binned 50s AMD gpus ) there was a 6900xt and 6800xt a 6800 a 6700xt 6700 6600xt and 6600 that was it so if you bought in that line ( say 6900xt ) you were not deceived with a better card release every few months..

i know there was a 6500 but that was pathetic !!

I had my 6900xt for nearly 2 years before the 6950xt dropped to me thats VALUE ..

welcome to this gen and once again AMD have stuck to single releases of each product line ( GRE cards being china only or oem kinda counts but doesnt )

If i see 2 years and a end of life 7950xtx ill be a happy consumer again ..

My honest opinion buy a 4090 , Any AMD card more than 8gb or a Intel ARC770 16gb !!

EDIT: we will be up to 3 4070s and 2 4080s soon so people getting deceived with the crappy versions first AGAIN !!

Last edited:

Vorador2

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
Man nvidia really doesn't give a toss about gamers any more. Since the start of the pandemic market was crypto first, and now it's AI first and crypto second, with gamers at the bottom of the barrel.

Dropping a bad card in order to replace it with an even worse card because they're sitting in piles on a warehouse... in previous years they would be discounted and/or sold to OEMs for peanuts and packaged into cheap business computers. Now they're just repackaged as a new model on retail channels and killing off the better cards because they can't sell their overpriced crap. It's just disgraceful.

Reactions: ravewulf

ivan_vy

Commendable
Apr 22, 2022

and I though its worst offender was the GT 710.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
GT710 had a purpose. Not everyone needs gaming performance. Just a display adapter. For the money, terrible, but if you were buying in bulk there would still be a savings over picking up a pile of GT730 or GT740. For the individual, the worst possible choice.

iGPUs have basically killed off that entire class of GPU though which is the main problem. And AMD still hasn't launched new APUs for AM5. RX6600 or nothing basically.

Glad to see it is 75W. Going to be a decent choice for the upgraded office PC, though again the Sparkle A380 is a decent option right now.

I have an ASRock A380 but it still needs an 8-pin for no reason. I need to get the latest driver and try out some old games again and see how it does. Only downside is the poor idle power draw and occasional HDMI audio issues.

Co BIY

Splendid
Probably be more than adequate to run displays and menu boards and the thousands of other things GPUs are used for other than gaming.

In that past they have run cut downs through OEMs but with off-standard naming 3045 ect.

ilukey77

Reputable
Jan 30, 2021
i will, right after you give me the momey for it. as it stands i cant afford a 4090, way to expensive, im looking at a 7900xt,or maybe a xtx right now, but even those are a little pricey
ive got the 7900xtx red devil

My point was the 4090 is the best of the best ..

BUT

100% 4090 aint cheap

I bought the 7900xtx red devil LE because of a few reasons but not limited to the crazy cost of the 4090 AIB they started at $2700 aud plus for the low end AIB 4090s to a massive $4000aud plus for the range topping..

the 4090 dropped first and so did the melting plugs so i was already worried about that then i was hoping the 7900xtx was a direct competitor to the 4090 but no

Im still very happy with my purchase because i spent around the $2000aud on the 7900xtx red devil and $1800on the 6900xt red devil little over 2 years earlier with no issues with powercolor red devils and no real issues with AMD..

would i do things different and have bought a 4090 NO ..

im a console gamer by default and i dabble in PC gaming often but $3500 aud plus or minus a $1000aud of pc gaming NO

But my faith in AMD has diminished with the 7900xtx only being 4080 lvls of good if i dont see a 5090 competitor next gen i may bite the bullet sell my 7900xtx and 6900xt and buy the 5090 over AMD !!

Joseph_138

Distinguished
The 8gb 3050 isn't exactly flying off the shelves, a 6gb card won't sell at all. 8gb is already proving to be insufficient in 2023, releasing a 6gb card now isjust plain dumb. Get yourself a used 2060 Super or vanilla 2070. You'll be better off.

The reason think this is happening, though, is because of the 3060 8gb. It is too close in performance to the 3050 8gb, and they want to put some distance between that card and the 3050, to make it seem like more of a step up than it is now.

Of course, it's also possible that they ran out of the dies that they were using to make the 8gb card, and have to dig deeper into the defective parts bin, just to keep the 3050 on the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS