[SOLVED] NVIDIA Resizable Bar VS AMD SAM --> Whats coming?

Aug 5, 2021
As I can see in current YT videos, SAM gives a nice boost of 10 FPS approx, while REBAR from Nvidia gives in many cases barely 1-2 FPS in other cases none.

Can we expect Nvidia optimize the drivers and ReBar algorithms to give similar improvement in performance as AMD's SAM?

Thoughts?

Solution
The way I have always looked at Nvidia you are going to have 95% of the performance you are going to get the day you buy it. With AMD, they slowly enable features through software and update their drivers, so performance tends to increase over time, up to a point. Difference in size of the driver teams.

Resizeable Bar is just a feature of PCIe, same move AMD made with FreeSync, just a part of the Display Port standard. But they had the foresight to implement it.

I think you can expect the 40 series GPUs to get your optimization, not much effort put into the 30 series.
Aug 5, 2021
As I can see in current YT videos, SAM gives a nice boost of 10 FPS approx, while REBAR from Nvidia gives in many cases barely 1-2 FPS in other cases none.

Can we expect Nvidia optimize the drivers and ReBar algorithms to give similar improvement in performance as AMD's SAM?

Thoughts?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Without knowing the in-depth technical details of their render pipelines, hard to say. May not be a driver issue, but more a hardware issue.

Is Nvidia playing catchup or does their architecture just not benefit from it as much as AMD? AMD clearly had it in mind when doing RDNA.

AMD might have gone down a more 'modern' route early, which AMD seems to do more often. Exception being ray-tracing from Nvidia being way too far ahead of consumer needs. Nvidia's architecture is optimized for not having resizeable bar. As long as their GPUs compete, it doesn't really matter at the end of the day.

Aug 5, 2021
Without knowing the in-depth technical details of their render pipelines, hard to say. May not be a driver issue, but more a hardware issue.

Is Nvidia playing catchup or does their architecture just not benefit from it as much as AMD? AMD clearly had it in mind when doing RDNA.

AMD might have gone down a more 'modern' route early, which AMD seems to do more often. Exception being ray-tracing from Nvidia being way too far ahead of consumer needs. Nvidia's architecture is optimized for not having resizeable bar. As long as their GPUs compete, it doesn't really matter at the end of the day.

Got you, well would be nice though, seeing Nvidia's ReBar get optimized to offer similar boost as AMD SAM does.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
The way I have always looked at Nvidia you are going to have 95% of the performance you are going to get the day you buy it. With AMD, they slowly enable features through software and update their drivers, so performance tends to increase over time, up to a point. Difference in size of the driver teams.

Resizeable Bar is just a feature of PCIe, same move AMD made with FreeSync, just a part of the Display Port standard. But they had the foresight to implement it.

I think you can expect the 40 series GPUs to get your optimization, not much effort put into the 30 series.

Solution