NVIDIA reveals Fermi's successor: Kepler at 28nm in 2011, Maxwell in 2

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cirslevin

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
I hope 6xxx will push 5xxx price downward soon, I can have a second 5770 for CF!

I don't see NV turn this around until late 2011, which will give them a new chance.

For the next year, I don't know. Keep maturing Fermi? Its not rosy, but I guess NV has enough cash in the bank to suffer through this round until 28nm.

4745454b

Titan
Sounds like Nvidia
is hyping future products to keep you from buying AMD products now or in the near future. Nice try Nvidia. Guess you gotta dig outta that hole your in.

So AMD was doing the same thing when they "leaked" whats known about the Northern and Southern Isles? Sometimes your just releasing information to keep people happy. The only "hole" I see Nvidia has to dig themselves out of is the time they seem to have lost. The GTX460 shows they can compete with current tech on performance and power. But still trying to launch your cards when the competition is launching their next series is bad.

solidnickel

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010
No upgrade for me for along while, there are no games on the pc that even take advantage of my GTX 480's

What good is all this hardware if no games are coming out? Console ports are getting old, Ill just wait on the next console before upgrading my GTX 480's

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009

Indeed, there is always the issue of hardware jumping way ahead of software and while the ability to make these leaps and bounds is good, its no use in practicality! In all honesty, i simply hope that the shorter term product, Kepler, is a big leap in the way of efficiency (power, heat) with a notable performance increase to keep it relevant; a bit like a glorified refresh almost :).

Rumors goimg around, theyre going to use Juniper for low end, avoiding the tess slippage

ares1214

Splendid

Yeah. They havent delved into much of the low end this time around. They have 6870, probably some 6770, and then Caicos, 63xx. They said the 5770 was so popular with the OEM, and they have so many of them, then i suppose it would be dumb to get rid of it. Granted, i dont want complete rebranding, or atleast not again and again, but this move is likely just a carry over till 2011 where they can get the middle end out. *100% SPECULATION ALERT SO I DONT GET SHOT* But assumming AMD has ceased production on 5xxx, explaining not much in price decreases, they just want to get them out of the warehouse, then they are likely trying to stock up on 6xxx. Problem is, id assume they made almost too many 5770's, so they will stick around until they get sold out, or for the entire time, in which time they release a new middle end. The thing is, assuming AMD DOES give the 6870 960 shaders, which i highly doubt, but it does fit their pattern (1920 shaders for 6970, cut it in half, just like 1600-800 for the 5870-5770), but then they dont have much room to improve upon the 5770.

What do you mean "but then they dont have much room to improve upon the 5770." Do you mean they cant get much more out of it without extra shaders ?
If so then i think your forgetting options like opening up that restrictive 128 bit bus and giving it faster memory. Those two things alone would make it worth while 6 series upgrade for the existing 5770 market.

Mactronix :)

Add tweaks, some speed, faster memory, itl be faster
Just reading about JHH blaming nVidia management for Fermi fizzle, NOT TSMC, or the 40nm process, or GDDR5, just them
They screwed the layering, to put it in easier terms, and the noise was too high, making it impossible for mass production, and Charlies was most likely right that there was only 7 chips that worked.
Even those seven chips had to over pumped with juice to get past the noise

ares1214

Splendid

Im talking about if they have a new 6770, they cant really make it bad enough to differ from the 6870, or good enough to differ from the 5770. It would be like a 5830.

Well that's got to be up there on the big list of things that you thought would never happen, JHH admitting that management (which is just him basically) screwed up.

firebird

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2004
If NVIDIA does choose to seek alternate production of the silicon, who's going to do it?

What are the choices, TSMC or Global Foundries? Wouldn't that be ironic if they had to switch to GF?

No, I'm wondering if the comment was made when GF was still in the hands of AMD because if it was then he may have changed his mind on that now.

firebird

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2004
Good info MM...I suppose that's why you're a moderator....

This makes me wonder...we're always hearing about how TSMC is behind or having trouble with production. Why doesn't NVIDIA or AMD use GF, UMC, or IBM?

I had no idea IBM did anything for companies other than themselves, Toshiba, and Sony (PS3).

Thank you, as for who uses what there has been rumours that Nvidia will indeed go to GF now that AMD no longer have control and as for IBM they gave Intel and AMD everything forty years ago and without that we would have pretty much nothing now.

ares1214

Splendid

Who else would they use? And @ MM, nope, not the one, but gets the idea across, it was a while, and therefore doesnt really apply. However, i still am rather doubtful NV would leave TSMC. I find it more likely intel would absorb NV than that, and thats saying something :lol:

Charlie says otherwise and we have to believe him at all times apparently.

TRENDING THREADS