News Nvidia RTX 30-Series Prices Are Falling Faster Than AMD RX 6000 GPUs

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
Funny how with all these so called "price drops" and this so called "bigger price drop for nvidia", both are still too expensive and yet still nvidia GPUs are more expensive than AMD ones, tier for tier.

That's one part of the truth that this article clearly omits (intentionally). Funny... :sneaky:

Reactions: -Fran-

JfromNucleon

Prominent
Oct 5, 2020
So this either means that supply is getting better for Nvidia faster than AMD or it means that AMD has greater demand than Nvidia
Pretty sure it's the former

Funny how with all these so called "price drops" and this so called "bigger price drop for nvidia", both are still too expensive and yet still nvidia GPUs are more expensive than AMD ones, tier for tier.

That's one part of the truth that this article clearly omits (intentionally). Funny... :sneaky:
I was going to say exactly this...

Here in the UK I got my 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ SE (the OC version that is 2.5Ghz) for the price of a 3080.

Sure, nVidia may be "dropping", but from where exactly?* 3x the price points which where already inflated to begin with? XD

In terms of "value", the 6800 is the best card of the bunch at the current pricing, like it or not. Then you have the 3060ti a tier below and then the 3060. Then when price is no objection, 3090 if you need the RAM or the 6900XT.

Regards.

Reactions: VforV

daworstplaya

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
In the US, the retail prices of AMD cards are higher than Nvidia cards. I'm pretty sure this is due to AIBs like Powercolor taking advantage of the shortage situation. You usually seem AMD cards sit on shelves for a while at those inflated prices until some poor schmuck comes along who can't take it anymore and pay those exhorbitant prices. I mean if they are still moving those cards at higher prices, albeit a little slowly, what's their incentive to bring prices down to reasonable levels.
I hope AMD is paying attention because this looks bad for AMD and the fans are beginning to turn on them.

Good luck with the RX580 remake. Saw a video a few days back, and the guy was saying that it looked like AMD and Nvidia were starting to abandon the low end market and relegate entry level shoppers to either waiting or to buying used. We'll see, but they've seen people will pay 600-700 for mid range cards, would you develop lower cards unless there was just a lot of supply of silicon?

I wonder if intel DG2 will arrive anytime soon.

If stock, price and performance are decent, we may be able to have a third option for low to mid range.

For now I guess the only option for many is just wait and hope. Or get a playstation or xbox.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
AMD got greedy. I hope they choke on them.

Buy a vastly better 4K graphics card for $50 more? Darn right. I switched over. While I didn't like the price and think it's way too much, I patiently waited.

I buy value, not brands.
As long as the cards continue to sell out, they've made the correct decision. While the shelves are empty, there's no reason to drop prices. Doesn't matter what you're willing to pay if there is a market full of people willing to pay more.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019

Ignoring fanboy garbage, Nvidia cards should be selling for more since they mine better. Mining is still what is determining the market value of GPU's. If the markets continue to rise, the prices of GPU's will go right back up with them.

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
Ignoring fanboy garbage, Nvidia cards should be selling for more since they mine better. Mining is still what is determining the market value of GPU's. If the markets continue to rise, the prices of GPU's will go right back up with them.
I agree, because they mine better it's one of the main reasons why they are more expensive. There are other reasons too, but this is a big one.

The entire EU has nvidia GPUs more expensive than Radeon GPUs.

AMD got greedy. I hope they choke on them.

Buy a vastly better 4K graphics card for $50 more? Darn right. I switched over. While I didn't like the price and think it's way too much, I patiently waited.

I buy value, not brands.
I wouldn't say they necessarily "got greedy", at least as far as their graphics card pricing is concerned. Ultimately, this comes down to their limited 7nm manufacturing capacity, and the fact that they make way more profit per wafer off their CPUs built on the same process. It just doesn't make much sense for them to push out lots of large graphics chips with small profit margins when they could instead be using those same manufacturing resources to put toward the far more profitable CPUs that they have barely been able to keep in stock since their release. That's not "greed" so much as good business sense, as they need to maintain a steady stream of income to remain competitive in the future. The graphics card market is not worth competing in when doing so means cutting into their supply of CPUs.

Graphics card prices might be high in the current market, but it's the board partners and resellers taking the bulk of those inflated prices. So they are just not bothering to produce graphics card chips in large quantities for the time being, and as such, selling that limited supply at super-competitive prices doesn't really make sense, especially when others will be marking the cards up to the same inflated prices anyway. Whatever MSRP that AMD or Nvidia decides on for their cards doesn't matter all that much when the actual prices the cards are commonly available for end up significantly higher. Nvidia's suggested pricing for much of the 30-series looks great on paper, but the actual street pricing of the cards is terrible right now, with worse performance-per-dollar than cards from several years ago.

I also doubt that AMD will choke on an oversupply of cards, since again, all signs point to them not producing many. The suggested prices of the cards are a bit mediocre relative to the competition because they knew they didn't have the capacity to manufacture them in sufficient quantities.

TRENDING THREADS