News Nvidia RTX 30 Series To Be in Short Supply Into 2021

I'm not sure how accurate this is, but I've heard it's more like six months from the time a company orders more wafers from a fab (TSMC or Samsung) to the time that product gets on actual retail shelves. Meaning, for Nvidia to have enough RTX 30-series chips to meet demand, it would have had to order those wafers right in the height of the initial COVID-19 lockdowns. Basically, it took a more conservative approach to orders, because the uncertainty of the time made anything else seem crazy. In hindsight, we see that being in lockdown has actually increased demand for computer components and gaming, but that was not at all a given back in March/April/May. It also means that after the initial fast sell out of RTX 3080 in September, if Nvidia ordered a big increase in capacity it will take until February for those chips to hit the shelves.

Also of note is that GPUs are far more complex -- Nvidia had to order more GDDR6X memory, PCBs, etc. Getting from fab to shelf for CPUs is far easier and could be done in three months.

TheDane

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
This information is useless unless they tell us exactly how many cards were produced and delivered so far. We don't know if they shipped just 10000 or so cards - then of course only a few people would be so lucky as to get one. But if they shipped say +500.000 cards then it is another matter.

Chung Leong

Reputable
Dec 6, 2019
This information is useless unless they tell us exactly how many cards were produced and delivered so far. We don't know if they shipped just 10000 or so cards - then of course only a few people would be so lucky as to get one. But if they shipped say +500.000 cards then it is another matter.

Nvidia's Q3 gaming revenue was $2.27 billion, up 37 percent YoY. Even if you were to assume a rather unrealistic average cost of $1000 per chip, you'd still see well over 2 million chips.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
Nvidia kept blaming high demand as the cause of shortage, but having gone through so many product launches, it should not come as a surprise for them when a next gen graphic card is released, the demand will always be very high. I won't jump to conclusion now. Instead lets take a look at AMD's supply situation. If they are saying that its an industry wide problem, which I believe it is to some extend, then AMD's GPU supply will be just as bad. What I am hearing is that the supply is actually a few times better than the RTX 3080.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
Nvidia's Q3 gaming revenue was $2.27 billion, up 37 percent YoY. Even if you were to assume a rather unrealistic average cost of $1000 per chip, you'd still see well over 2 million chips.

I dont think so , I think that they are making OEM orders first then the retail next.

I thinnk that HP , DELL , Lenovo come first for nvidia.

and OEM pay in advance so it will end up in their revenue as well.

Oct 22, 2020
Looks like I got exceedingly lucky, I put myself on backorder lists at various retailers for a Gigabyte Vision 3080 on the 4th and I got a notice last night that there's one available for me to pick up. Maybe there's marginally less demand for a card marketed as more workstation-orientated?

I mean it's going to be hilariously bottlenecked until Ryzens are restocked but I won't look a gift horse in the mouth.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I don't want more excuses from Nvidia. I want Nvidia to take shots at Ebay and other scalper havens. There would be plenty of supply for gamers and creators if scalpers were stopped from manipulating the market.

Reactions: Conahl

TRENDING THREADS