News Nvidia RTX 3060 Begins its Reign as the Most Popular GPU

Sleepy_Hollowed

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2017
It would be wild if this is the case going forward, considering Intel's performance per dollar, and AMD's potential performance per dollar as well.

After playing some games with Ultra DLSS 2.0 settings, I'm really not impressed, it's not something I'd notice, especially on fast paced games, to begin with.

Maybe Control, and slower paced ones like that one, but even then, not even too impressed, I'd make do with an AMD or Intel card for most of my older games, provided performance does not choke.

Newer games I can either play with lower settings or get on a console, it's WAY cheaper.

Johnpombrio

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
As usual, high-end graphics cards are far down the list and have a meager percentage of ownership. My 3080 Ti is less than 1 percent share ( a little less than one out of a hundred). 3090 are at half of a percent. Yet, these are always the cards that are most argued about. Go figure.

As usual, high-end graphics cards are far down the list and have a meager percentage of ownership. My 3080 Ti is less than 1 percent share ( a little less than one out of a hundred). 3090 are at half of a percent. Yet, these are always the cards that are most argued about. Go figure.

Good point. I know when I was shopping I got a deal on a 6700xt, and even then I was kind of not sure about spending that. It would be nice to have a 4090 for example, but I'd really have to prioritize other things before laying out 1500 on a graphics card.

MASOUTH

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
I mean, sure, lump them together if manufacturer model names are the only things that matter.

Nah, it can't be that as the 3060ti isn't in there. It's a different die anyway so it must be the die?

Nah, the GA106 used in everything from 3050 Ti Mobiles with 4 GB of RAM, through desktop 3050's, to laptop 3060's, to desktop 3060's, and of course lets not forget the pro cards. Those weren't included so surely it must be all that "other stuff" that's the same, right?

Nah, a CUDA core difference (3840 v 3584), VRAM difference (6GB v 12GB), TMU difference (120 v 112), clock speed differences (various lower v various higher), different TDP, etc, etc.

:/

So where exactly did you draw this arbitrary line in the sand that said the 3060 laptop and desktop chips could/ should be combined to be headline crowned as "Most Popular GPU"?

Reactions: shady28

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
I mean, sure, lump them together if manufacturer model names are the only things that matter.

Nah, it can't be that as the 3060ti isn't in there. It's a different die anyway so it must be the die?

Nah, the GA106 used in everything from 3050 Ti Mobiles with 4 GB of RAM, through desktop 3050's, to laptop 3060's, to desktop 3060's, and of course lets not forget the pro cards. Those weren't included so surely it must be all that "other stuff" that's the same, right?

Nah, a CUDA core difference (3840 v 3584), VRAM difference (6GB v 12GB), TMU difference (120 v 112), clock speed differences (various lower v various higher), different TDP, etc, etc.

:/

So where exactly did you draw this arbitrary line in the sand that said the 3060 laptop and desktop chips could/ should be combined to be headline crowned as "Most Popular GPU"?
Steam isn't picking names out of a hat for each card in the survey. The card reports what it is to Steam. Try reading the article instead of just the headline and it will be explained to you.

Reactions: KyaraM

andrew.kastor

Reputable
Nov 17, 2017
deceptive statement.

desktop 3060 is not same as a mobile 3060.

a 3060 mobile is a kin to a 2070 in terms of performance.

2070 outperforms and 3060 perform nearly identical. The mobile version of the 3060 is much slower than a 2070, not comparable.

KyaraM

Admirable
Why do people always feel the need to bash Intel even when Intel is neither mentioned nor even relevant to the topic at hand? Seriously, just cut it out, we know you hate them already.

Intel's top two representatives on the Steam Survey would be the 2nd and 3rd most popular AMD GPU's. Because of the huge volume of OEM sales that Intel does, they'll have no problem getting ARC on the survey if they produce enough.
Oh, I forgot to reply to you.

It was a joke on the Steam Survey's update rate and how the people with ARC cards won't be surveyed until 2030.

Oh welp, the joke missed the mark.

Regards.