[SOLVED] Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti with AMD Ryzen 7 2700x 3,7Ghz?

Nov 26, 2022
hey,

so I bought a new gpu (from gtx 1060 to rtx 3060 ti), but I dont have that much of hardware experience.

I definitely see an Upgrade, but I heard of bottleneck. Is it a thing with my cpu (AMD Ryzen 7 2700x) ?

Also is my Mainboard MSI B450 enough to run these ?

thanks for your help :)

Solution
WHICH MSI B450 motherboard do you have? Not that it REALLY matters, but it's always good to know.

It would be good to know your other specs as well, such as exact power supply model, memory kit model, CPU cooler, etc.

As far as any "bottleneck" concerns go, there is no such thing really. The only "bottleneck" that exists is if something isn't performing the way you need it to. If the graphics card is allowing you to play at the settings you want, at the resolution you need to play at, and the CPU is providing enough FPS to keep it playable at a frame rate that is good enough for you, then you don't have a bottleneck. If it isn't, then you do, no matter what the model is.

That 2700x is not particularly strong compared to the last two...
WHICH MSI B450 motherboard do you have? Not that it REALLY matters, but it's always good to know.

It would be good to know your other specs as well, such as exact power supply model, memory kit model, CPU cooler, etc.

As far as any "bottleneck" concerns go, there is no such thing really. The only "bottleneck" that exists is if something isn't performing the way you need it to. If the graphics card is allowing you to play at the settings you want, at the resolution you need to play at, and the CPU is providing enough FPS to keep it playable at a frame rate that is good enough for you, then you don't have a bottleneck. If it isn't, then you do, no matter what the model is.

That 2700x is not particularly strong compared to the last two generations that have come out since it was new, and there is a good chance your frame rates might be suffering due to that. Especially on any games that tend to run better on a CPU with very strong single core performance because that CPU does not have very strong single core performance. It does have a good NUMBER of cores though, so for games that are highly optimized for multithreaded performance it might do ok in spite of not having great single core performance.

But in general it is much weaker than any 3rd or 4th Gen Ryzen CPUs, even ones with only 6 cores, and especially ones with 8.

Now, if you were to update your BIOS and plug a newer CPU in it's place, it would likely make a considerable difference in your gaming performance and you shouldn't need to change your board but we need to know exactly what motherboard model and BIOS version you have now in order to know what will and will not work in that board with or without a BIOS update.

If a CPU update isn't financially possible, then really, what does it matter? LOL. You don't have really any choice in that case other than to use what you have and in truth it should definitely be better than with the 1060 you had by a fair measure even with the same CPU.

Solution
Nov 26, 2022
Thanks for the Answer :)

Sooo...

Motherboard: MSI B450-A PRO (MS-7B86)

Power Supply: Xilence XP750MR9
Memory Kit: 4x GSkill Ripjaws V
CPU Cooler: (i dont really know) I got the Boxed CPU and 3 Fans

and yeaa I always had Problems with my CPU, it also kinda burned 1 time, because it had to little thermal paste.
Also Games like Rocket League I can easily Play on High Graphics now, but games like FIFA take much CPU Usage and there I only get like 80-100fps on lowest Settings.
So its definitely a CPU Problem.

Can u recommend a better CPU for my Specs? (and Mainboard if necessary)

BIOS-Version American Megatrends Inc. A.00, 26.06.2018

I’d check out the 5700x. You could also go to the 5800x3d if you’ve got the money.
Absolutely not. This board has a very crappy 4+2 VRM, true phase, no twin or triple output or doubler at all, so that VRM configuration is way too weak in my opinion for any of the higher end Ryzen parts including possibly the one he has now which might be part of why he's had problems, due to VRM throttling, but especially without any doubt it's absolutely not suitable for use with the 5800x3d. In fact, I'd recommend not using it with any of the 8 core or higher Ryzen parts. Any of the newer 6 core parts like the 5600G, 5600 or 5600x should be fine. Probably much better than with the 2700x which is a 105w TDP part while the 5600G which outperforms it to a respectable degree, is only a 65w part.

It still has about 24% better single core performance and about 11% multicore performance than the 2700x despite having two fewer cores and four fewer threads total, overall.

The 5600x, which is about 25 bucks more than the 5600G, which itself is like 125 bucks right now, has about 28% better single core performance than the 2700x and about 20% better multicore performance, so whether that additional 4% single core and 16% multicore performance over the 5600G is worth another 25 bucks is debatable but does exist so is worth considering.

Probably the addition of a decent aftermarket CPU cooler will give you a better bump in performance in the form of extended and higher boost rates than the jump to the 5600x over the 5600G will. Doing both would certainly be acceptable as well.

If you decide to upgrade to any of the 5000 series Ryzen parts you will need to update to the BIOS version listed below, which is not currently listed on the BIOS support page because MSI is having some BS with their website right now which I confirmed through one of their forum threads just a few minutes ago, but IS listed on the CPU support page for that motherboard for all of the 5xxx series parts.

https://download.msi.com/bos_exe/mb/7B86vAH.zip

Before you update to that BIOS version you want to go to the AMD website and make sure you download and install the latest AMD B450 chipset drivers, which you should probably do anyhow, whether you upgrade the CPU and BIOS or not.