News Nvidia RTX 3080 and Ampere: Everything We Know

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Arbie

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
$329, $379-$449, $499-$599, $499, $649, $699, $1,199, $999.

Certainly in a general article like this you could use sensible rounding e.g $500. Misdirection is the whole purpose of this ..99 pricing in the first place! Aren't we anti-misdirection?

C'mon Toms, be a leader.

Reactions: esv and bit_user
$329, $379-$449, $499-$599, $499, $649, $699, $1,199, $999.

Certainly in a general article like this you could use sensible rounding e.g $500. Misdirection is the whole purpose of this ..99 pricing in the first place! Aren't we anti-misdirection?

C'mon Toms, be a leader.
I've changed if just for you, because you're right: these are full on guesses and so the $x99 prices are hardly necessary.

Well even if Ampere GPUs get 70% performance increase over Turing but priced 20-30% higher than what Turing was it will become meaningless. But if launched at same price as Turing it will be a great deal. For that to happen RDNA2 have to shine. Otherwise consumer will be doomed again.

Jun 13, 2020
An Arm and a leg wont cut it. With a 2080 Ti easily costing 60% to 80% AUD more than the previous generations, I expect this will be at least 100% - 120% more than the GTX 1080 Ti. About 2 months rent ought to cover it. Actually it could be more as the AUD is plummeting to 50c USD, so that might be A150% or more. I don't think many Australians will get to run one of these new cards.

I've paid 1080ti 1000$, 2080ti 2000$ and im expecting the 3080ti no less than 3000$ australian. the price is in the name of the cards lol

I've paid 1080ti 1000$, 2080ti 2000$ and im expecting the 3080ti no less than 3000$ australian. the price is in the name of the cards lol
No i think it will be around same price. First main reason this time NVIDIA has competition waiting for it. Second reason the cost of R&D may have been comparatively less this time around as they only had to make the RT cores and Ray-tracing work more efficiently instead of implementing it as new feature for the first time.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
No i think it will be around same price.
I think @puttanard2202 was making a joke.

I agree with you that pricing won't be higher. However, the reason is that if you assume Nvidia is trying to maximize profit, they need to recognize that volumes will drop as prices rise. So, there's a certain pricing which should balance sales volume against margin. And I suspect Turing's pricing might have been a little bit past that sweet spot.

No i think it will be around same price. First main reason this time NVIDIA has competition waiting for it. Second reason the cost of R&D may have been comparatively less this time around as they only had to make the RT cores and Ray-tracing work more efficiently instead of implementing it as new feature for the first time.
Yeah you are correct. But then again for all those who go on for generational upgrade. majority of crowd who purchased GTX980Ti or GTX1080Ti went on to purchase RTX2080Ti over similarly priced RTX2080. Same goes for people who purchased TITAN X/TITAN XP went on to purchase TITAN RTX instead of going for similarly priced RTX2080Ti.

D

Deleted member 2783327

I hope you're right, but Australian retailers never miss a chance to maximize new tech profits. In early March the AUD fell 10% but prices went up 30% - 40% where they've been ever since, even though the AUD recovered within 2 weeks.

If I'm wrong I'll try to remember to shout you a virtual coffee.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I hope you're right, but Australian retailers never miss a chance to maximize new tech profits. In early March the AUD fell 10% but prices went up 30% - 40% where they've been ever since, even though the AUD recovered within 2 weeks.
The price-demand curve is nonlinear. If prices increase by 10%, demand could remain strong, or it could drop by quite a lot, depending on whether it's a product people actually need and what the overall economy is doing. And a good amount of the demand dynamics are influenced by factors other than price.

In any business, there are relatively fixed costs, like the rent for your distribution center. If your volumes fall off a cliff because demand evaporates, then you need to make more from each remaining sale, just to keep the lights on. I don't know enough about the Australian PC market to say if that's the main factor at play, but it's not hard to imagine it might be.

My sympathies to you, but I'd guess what you really need to wait for is better economic conditions, so that demand can return and volumes recover enough to push the marginal costs back down.

Reactions: JarredWaltonGPU
The price for components in Australian Market is still better than what it is in India. We have to pay 50% over the price for what it goes in the US Market. That is really bad. RTX2080Ti at launch was around USD1800-1900 and even now the cheapest we can get is around USD1450-1500 after discount.

Reactions: bit_user

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
The price for components in Australian Market is still better than what it is in India. We have to pay 50% over the price for what it goes in the US Market.
I have some co-workers in India and we wanted to buy them Titan XPs for machine learning, a bit before Turing launched. So, I was monitoring the pricing on nvidia.in. Not only were they more expensive (though, not by 50%, at the time), but there were also delays between when things became available in the US vs. India.

I have some co-workers in India and we wanted to buy them Titan XPs for machine learning, a bit before Turing launched. So, I was monitoring the pricing on nvidia.in. Not only were they more expensive (though, not by 50%, at the time), but there were also delays between when things became available in the US vs. India.
Availability of TITAN and Quadro GPUs have always been bad here with exception of Turing RTX series. We got Quadro P Series cards officially launch in India just months before Turing was out I had to Import lot many TITAN XPs as clients din't want to wait for them to be officially available in India. Surprisingly Quadro RTX and TITAN RTX dropped around the time of their US Launch. We got TITAN XP Priced around INR1,20,000-1,30,000(1USD=70INR around that time) at launch. Luckily I did not face that problem with TITAN RTX or Quadro RTX as they were readily available to be ordered ordered locally. I hope upcoming Ampere is also available at the Lunch.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Surprisingly Quadro RTX and TITAN RTX dropped around the time of their US Launch.
The launch of RTX was rumored to be delayed by overstock from the crypto slump. This could've given them a chance to build up stocks and queue up the distribution channels.

I hope upcoming Ampere is also available at the Lunch.
I hope so. Ampere has seemed to be waiting in the wings, for a while now.

NamelessBryan

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2014
So with all the buzz over "21" / 21st anniversary of the GPU, 21 Gbps, 2021, 21 day count-down... who bets Jensen is trolling us all again and the next line is actually going to be called RTX-2100 series?

So with all the buzz over "21" / 21st anniversary of the GPU, 21 Gbps, 2021, 21 day count-down... who bets Jensen is trolling us all again and the next line is actually going to be called RTX-2100 series?
I give that about a 0.21% chance of happening. It could happen, yes. But the trademark filed on 3080 last year makes it a very unlikely probability. Plus, 2180, 2190, etc. just look lame. 3090/3080/3070 are better IMO.

Actually I think using the year of release and the model number makes sense.
Year numbers in model names died a pretty quick death for Microsoft Windows. Maybe it would fare better on hardware, but then you'd get weird things -- RTX 1880, RTX 1980 Super, RTX 2080, RTX 2180 Ti ... I can't see any major PC hardware company tying model numbers to the release year, especially now where the release cadence tends to be slowing a bit.