News Nvidia RTX 3080 By September? Ampere Launch Looks Imminent

Jim90

Distinguished
Just a reminder - RDNA2 (incl Big Navi) products from AMD are imminent too.
As per standard operating procedures --> WAIT till both sets have been released and reviewed !!!

jasonf2

Distinguished
Nvidia has been pushing the pricing envelope hard the last couple of generations. I hope that AMD comes out with something good with big navi to start to level out the GPU pricing game.

InvalidError

Titan
Nvidia has been pushing the pricing envelope hard the last couple of generations. I hope that AMD comes out with something good with big navi to start to level out the GPU pricing game.
AMD will be following Nvidia up the pricing curve. That was the whole point of breaking continuity in model names multiple times over the last couple of years in the transition from RX5xx to RX5xxx.

cynath

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2012
I can't imagine the launch prices being anywhere near that high. The die size has a huge impact on price. At worst the top card will match 2080ti prices. I bet we see a $999 3080ti/90 (OEM not founders).

jasonf2

Distinguished
AMD will be following Nvidia up the pricing curve. That was the whole point of breaking continuity in model names multiple times over the last couple of years in the transition from RX5xx to RX5xxx.
I think they will move up, but I also think that Nvidia will have them beat performance wise which will leave them in a position to lowball for market share. I just hope that they aren't 30% under performing.

usiname

Prominent
BANNED
Feb 27, 2020
I can't imagine the launch prices being anywhere near that high. The die size has a huge impact on price. At worst the top card will match 2080ti prices. I bet we see a $999 3080ti/90 (OEM not founders).

More like $999+$500

Zarax

Reputable
Apr 30, 2020
Guess early 2021 will be the right moment for an upgrade, with a mix of new CPU and GPU generations arriving...
If in 2013 someone told me I would be happily gaming with the same PC 7 years later just with a GPU update I would have laughed at them, but now I know overbuilding was the right choice.

cat1092

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
While It's obvious the power is there, every release since the GTX 1000 series has shown this, in memory & bandwidth increases.

Where they're not improving are the actual video standards. We've been running HDMI 2.0(b) & Displayport 1.4 for 5 years, this is a new decade. 4K TV's running at 120 Hz are abundant, will be trickling down to 'value brands' such as VIZIO soon.

These cards won't be able to take advantage of HDMI 2.1 & DP 2.0, both offers not only better video, also faster and another big deal....eARC, which is 48x faster than HDMI ARC. This is video we're talking about here, 8K TV's which started the 4K at 120 Hz (& eARC) has been here for well over a year, yet an expensive GPU connected to these TV's can run at only half speed? And no eARC?

Not all who buys discrete GPU's are hardcore gamers (if at all), some of us like myself wants better video, as computers are also a major source of TV content. 24GB of the latest HBR2 RAM running at higher bandwidth means nothing when the actual video standard used are the same as from 2015/2016 cards. Why? Because when plugged into the HDMI 2.1 port of a 4K TV, that bandwidth isn't there to be seen. While there are some active Displayport 1.4 to HDMI adapters to increase speed, these won't pass all of the HDMI 2.1 standards, plus some other standards (Dolby Vision/Atmos, eARC & others), may or may not seen. Also not all of these adapters are reliable, so best to have at the source, in this case, the GPU output ports.

So another two year (or longer) wait to get current......oddly until the middle part of the past decade, MB & GPU OEM's would offer the latest standards ASAP to compete. Shame it's taking so long in the early 2020's to get current.:(

Cat

geogan

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010

Maybe AMD new cards will have impact but not as much as PS5. They won't be able to do that any more when PS5 comes out. That will put manners on their monopoly pricing.

jasonf2

Distinguished
Both companies benefit if prices goes up!
So yeah, very likely to happen!
The law of supply and demand dictates that as the price goes up quantity consumed goes down. Without knowing the elasticity coefficient of the market your statement could be true or false. With the high end consumer cards as high as they are my guess is that they are approaching demand elastic if they are not already there. At that point simply increasing price does not increase total revenue. Also, if the price is demand elastic, if one of the companies is able to reduce price the increase in volume will increase total revenue for the firm.

Deicidium369

Permanantly banned.
BANNED
Mar 4, 2020
High end has high end prices - the Rolls Royce was significantly more expensive than the offerings from Ford at the time - and still are.

Deicidium369

Permanantly banned.
BANNED
Mar 4, 2020

Plain 3080 will probably be in the sub $1000 range ($999 lol)
3080Ti/3090 will probably be in the ~$1250 range
Ampere Titan - probably in the >$2000 range, most likely ~$2500
all MSRP - vendor prices somewhat above that - at least initially.

I will wait for the 3rd party custom cards (Gigabyte OC WIndforce), also interested in which supports NVlink - current gen only the 2080/2080Ti use NVLInk.

High End has High End Prices - even at my $1000 estimate for the plain 3080 - it would be faster than the current 2080TI. In the $1250 range you get a ~40-45% boost over the 2080TI.

Prices are going to remain in the same strata we see with current gen Turing cards. Hopefully manufacturing ramps quickly and OEM custom cards are sooner rather than later - probably under embargo against releasing card details until Nvidia does the official Ampere GeForce launch - so vendor scalping won't be a part of the long term pricing.

Deicidium369

Permanantly banned.
BANNED
Mar 4, 2020
I'm not paying 1k for a graphics card, I don't care how great it is. Hopefully, the 3070 will be more sanely priced.
Paid $5K for my dual 2080Tis and wife's dual 2080Tis. If you look at the 3080 plain - if it out performs the custom mild OC 2080Tis - then it's worth that. I am only interested in whichever SKU can use NVLink - only the 2080/2080TI can use NVlink currently. Won't be installing that 2nd card day 1 - or maybe never - but I like having the optoion.

Haven't seen anything about the 3070 - but then again we only know product names for the 3080 variants. Initially they will all be inflated with the 1st adopter vendor tax.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Plain 3080 will probably be in the sub $1000 range ($999 lol)
3080Ti/3090 will probably be in the ~$1250 range
Ampere Titan - probably in the >$2000 range, most likely ~$2500
all MSRP - vendor prices somewhat above that - at least initially.

With no competition for the 2000 series, Nvidia was not happy with the sales volume in the early going and Jensen Huang in a rare bout with honesty even admitted that high prices were a factor. There is no way Nvidia is going to try and sell the 3080 at $1000 with rumored competition from AMD later this year, when they were disappointed with the sales of the 2080 at $800. I would not expect to see the 3080 above $800, I would predict somewhere closer to $750. If they go any lower than that, it will probably be impossible to buy one and retailers will jack the prices up, making the lower MSRP irrelevant. 3080ti should be in the $1200 range and the Titan will likely be $2500 again and not targeted at gamers.

Paid $5K for my dual 2080Tis and wife's dual 2080Tis. If you look at the 3080 plain - if it out performs the custom mild OC 2080Tis - then it's worth that. I am only interested in whichever SKU can use NVLink - only the 2080/2080TI can use NVlink currently. Won't be installing that 2nd card day 1 - or maybe never - but I like having the optoion.

Haven't seen anything about the 3070 - but then again we only know product names for the 3080 variants. Initially they will all be inflated with the 1st adopter vendor tax.
I didn't think SLI was supported much in games anymore? Or are you a CUDA developer or something?

Deicidium369

Permanantly banned.
BANNED
Mar 4, 2020
With no competition for the 2000 series, Nvidia was not happy with the sales volume in the early going and Jensen Huang in a rare bout with honesty even admitted that high prices were a factor. There is no way Nvidia is going to try and sell the 3080 at $1000 with rumored competition from AMD later this year, when they were disappointed with the sales of the 2080 at $800. I would not expect to see the 3080 above $800, I would predict somewhere closer to $750. If they go any lower than that, it will probably be impossible to buy one and retailers will jack the prices up, making the lower MSRP irrelevant. 3080ti should be in the $1200 range and the Titan will likely be $2500 again and not targeted at gamers.
The high end sells in lower numbers - whether that is a Black edition AMG Mercedes or a limited edition whatever.

the 2070 class / 3070 class will most likely make up a large percentage of the sales - in volume and in revenue.

a $750 3080 is a nice dream to have, but it is highly unlikely. IF the 3090 is the Ti variant, I still see it above the price of the outgoing 2080TI - since it offers a pretty decent speed bump.

AMD competition is always rumored, and never materializes. I would love to see "Navi Heavy" or whatever be competitive - if even looks in the same neighborhood (not the gated part, but still the same neighborhood) I will buy one, to test myself - same as I did with the Vega VII and the 3rd party 5700XT. With AMD you have to wonder how long before they get the drivers right, and how much of a performance tax will be exacted.

Deicidium369

Permanantly banned.
BANNED
Mar 4, 2020
I didn't think SLI was supported much in games anymore? Or are you a CUDA developer or something?
SLI works just fine - I get 120fps at 4K - nothing to do with a CUDA developer. Most of the press has written off SLI - since at this point it's a $2500 buy in with Turing - and only available on the 2080/2080Ti variants - not including the real GSync monitor that does 120/144Hz at 4K -like an Acer Predator x27 (~$1000). NVlink is on the GeForce for a reason.

Games written for DX11 or DX12 - use all available hardware - regardless if it's 1 or 4 cards. Current Turing only has 1 NVLink port, so no more than 2 cards can be used in SLI. There is no option similar in AMD for Crossfire, so the PCIe bus handles most of the traffic between cards, and there is really no advantage to a 2nd AMD card. NVLink is off PCIe and in effect, just like in the DGX series, turns the 2 independent cards into 1 more powerful card - that's what NVLink does (still not = to double the perf)

So, SLI largely a non issue for most people - but it is far from locked out or only available to "a CUDA developer"

Conahl

Commendable
Apr 24, 2020
SLI and crossfire, are next to pointless. and is just for bragging rights only. when was the last time nvidia or amd released and new profiles ? even they dont seem to be touting multi gpu configs for consumers any more, that should say alot.

" AMD competition is always rumored, and never materializes " much like most of what intel has been saying the last few years. never miss a chance to bash amd, do you?

Reactions: JarredWaltonGPU

hannibal

Distinguished
The law of supply and demand dictates that as the price goes up quantity consumed goes down. Without knowing the elasticity coefficient of the market your statement could be true or false. With the high end consumer cards as high as they are my guess is that they are approaching demand elastic if they are not already there. At that point simply increasing price does not increase total revenue. Also, if the price is demand elastic, if one of the companies is able to reduce price the increase in volume will increase total revenue for the firm.
Yep, but the point is that amd and nvdia can sell low end GPUs instead of highend cpus so the volume will remain high. Only highend go to sky high!

jasonf2

Distinguished
Yep, but the point is that amd and nvdia can sell low end GPUs instead of highend cpus so the volume will remain high. Only highend go to sky high!
I disagree. Generational performance increases don't tend to obsolesce the previous gen product line. A 1080ti which released at around $700 is still a high end performer. One generation later the 2080ti jumped to almost $1000 at release. Ray tracing aside I won't purchase a 2060 to replace my 1080 ti and I won't shell out $1000 to upgrade. The prices have continued to climb across the entire lineup with high end cards now well out of reach for the average user. I looked at a titan at $1200. I laugh at a titan at $2500. Thank you very little cryptocurrency.