News Nvidia RTX 4070 Drops Below Launch Prices in Europe as Demand Falters

kal326

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Wow it's almost like in a competitive non supply constrained market consumers saw straight through Nvidia's skewed market segments where the 4070Ti should have really been a 4070, and the 4070 a 4060. Then priced accordingly.

If you look at the percentage drop in cuda cores from a 4090 to a 4070, it lines up almost perfectly with the drop from a 3090 to a 3060. Both non Ti. It's almost like Nvidia tried to take a product and move it up a marketing tier to try to maintain an unsustainable market price...

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
Wow it's almost like in a competitive non supply constrained market consumers saw straight through Nvidia's skewed market segments where the 4070Ti should have really been a 4070, and the 4070 a 4060. Then priced accordingly.

If you look at the percentage drop in cuda cores from a 4090 to a 4070, it lines up almost perfectly with the drop from a 3090 to a 3060. Both non Ti. It's almost like Nvidia tried to take a product and move it up a marketing tier to try to maintain an unsustainable market price...
Nailed it. And the 4080 16GB should cost 899 (original 4080 12GB price), the 4080 Ti (assuming it launches) should cost the 4080 16GB at 1199 and left thew 4090 as is. Had Nvidia done this, the 4000 series would have been one of the best launches in recent history if not since the 8800 GTX, heck maybe even ever...instead they got a at best 'meh' and at the worst 'outrage'. Dumb move if you ask me..

Last edited:
Reactions: trance77

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
So can we assume that nobody wants the 7900XT and 7900XTX, either, then? They have been bekow MSRP for months now after all! Yet there it is a "real deal". Curious^^
They have to be getting more attractive at this point I would think...AMD is a tough sale for some though (GPU wise). Personally I haven't been a fan of their drivers not to say Nvidia are nailing them either, just doing a hair better for the most part IMO. Regardless AMD does lack some features but they aren't a bad deal. I wish more users bought their cards. Had they had a 4090 competitor, I might of. Nvidia hasn't exactly been rosy to it
costumers, as of late and I would have loved to give my cash to someone else as a 4K144hz gamer...

SunMaster

Commendable
Apr 19, 2022
So can we assume that nobody wants the 7900XT and 7900XTX, either, then? They have been bekow MSRP for months now after all! Yet there it is a "real deal". Curious^^
Perhaps the difference is they didn fall below msrp days after release. The xtx kept being sold out for a long time. whereas the xt shared fate with the 4080.

Endymio

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 3, 2020
Nailed it. And the 4080 16GB should cost 899..Had Nvidia done this, the 4000 series would have been one of the best launches in recent history
Best launches for you, perhaps. But NVidia's net margins in Q3 last year were only 11% -- and that includes the much more profitable data center division. The price point you suggest would have meant NVidia was selling product at a loss -- which is not why any company does business.

Q4 was substantially better, and now that TSMC has amortized some of the astronomical cost of its 4/5 nm nodes and is seeing much lower fab demand, I'm sure the result will be meaningful reductions in these board's MSRPs.

Reactions: KyaraM
Best launches for you, perhaps. But NVidia's net margins in Q3 last year were only 11% -- and that includes the much more profitable data center division. The price point you suggest would have meant NVidia was selling product at a loss -- which is not why any company does business.

Q4 was substantially better, and now that TSMC has amortized some of the astronomical cost of its 4/5 nm nodes and is seeing much lower fab demand, I'm sure the result will be meaningful reductions in these board's MSRPs.
This is cuz the mining bubble burst and there is no longer a stock wiping demand for those GPUs anymore...

Nvidia is dependent on Enterprise for high margin profits and gamers/consumers for large volume and low margin profits.

Reactions: KyaraM

abufrejoval

Reputable
Jun 19, 2020
My kids made it happily through the crypto induced GPU winter with various GTX 980ti's and GTX1070 I had replaced when I made the mistake of switching to 4k on my KVM'd workstations.

Well actually CUDA and Machine Learning were the primary motivators for the GTX1080ti, GTX2080ti and RTX3090 that followed, but all of them disappoint at (after hours) 4k gaming to this day on my 8-18 core machines in games that run perfectly fine on Ivy Bridge to Kaby Lake quadcores on their 1920x1080 screens.

Unless you have one of those less popular screen sizes in-between, you really either don't need more power or it's simply not enough.

Consumers don't just buy hardware to fill a certain price point, but to satisfy a gaming experience.