News Nvidia RTX 4090 Reveal: Watch the GeForce Beyond Livestream Here

aalkjsdflkj

Honorable
Jun 30, 2018
Jarred, does any of the information released today give you new thoughts or predictions on the cards most people will actually buy, like the 3070 and below?

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
$900 for the 4080 12gb, $1200 for the 4080 16gb? Insanity. Nvidia not reading the room with this recession and pricing itself out of most folks systems. I'm even more excited for rdna 3 now
Early adopters fee. Nvidia is clearly still trying to clear out 3000 stock based on the announcement. They're encouraging people to buy 3000 series with these prices, and also lower demand for 4000, so maybe stock will be easier to come by. Once 3000 stock is gone and AMD has released RDNA3 competition, the prices for the 4080's will come down.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
$900 for the 4080 12gb, $1200 for the 4080 16gb? Insanity. Nvidia not reading the room with this recession and pricing itself out of most folks systems. I'm even more excited for rdna 3 now
I had the same reaction. Nvidia must think there's still a crypto boom going on plus they missed the recession memo. Not sure why I would want an RTX card over a new console. Best course of action here is to continue to wait Nvidia out. They'll have to drop prices eventually.

If AMD can get HIP competitive with Optix in Blender, then I'm all for switching from green to red. That's my only problem.

People challenged me when I said we were going to see a big jump in prices this generation. NVidia has seen what the market is willing to pay when supply was limited. They also have shareholders that don’t expect revenues and profits to drop regardless of the driving factors over the last 1-2 years.

Reactions: btmedic04

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
People challenged me when I said we were going to see a big jump in prices this generation. NVidia has seen what the market is willing to pay when supply was limited. They also have shareholders that don’t expect revenues and profits to drop regardless of the driving factors over the last 1-2 years.
4090 only saw a $100 increase. As I said above, there are common sense strategic reasons to price the 4080 where it is. It's not likely to stay at those prices much past the end of the year.

lmcnabney

Prominent
Aug 5, 2022
NVidia has seen what the market is willing to pay when supply was limited.

People paid more for GPUs when locked in their homes, when no PS5/Xbox consoles were available, and the government was sending out checks.

Now the new console generation is available and far cheaper. A massive glut of new 3050-90 are sitting in warehouse and an even bigger glut of used high-end mining GPU are going to be dumped on the market. Oh, and we are probably going into a recession and there aren't any new killer games driving the need for an upgrade.

People paid more for GPUs when locked in their homes, when no PS5/Xbox consoles were available, and the government was sending out checks.

Now the new console generation is available and far cheaper. A massive glut of new 3050-90 are sitting in warehouse and an even bigger glut of used high-end mining GPU are going to be dumped on the market. Oh, and we are probably going into a recession and there aren't any new killer games driving the need for an upgrade.
Those buying a high end gpu will either not care about console or will buy one in addition to their PC. I agree there are factors that contributed to the prices but I doubt NVidia will give much weight to them. Ultimately they have shareholders to keep happy and from what I’ve seen in the presentation is gaming is not where the companies growth is so they can focus more on increasing margin on their mature market.

4090 only saw a $100 increase. As I said above, there are common sense strategic reasons to price the 4080 where it is. It's not likely to stay at those prices much past the end of the year.
It will be interesting to see what happens to pricing over the next 6-12 months. I expect it will take until the mid generation refresh to see any real reduction, of course I could be wrong but that’s my expectation.

btmedic04

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2015
Reactions: TCA_ChinChin

lmcnabney

Prominent
Aug 5, 2022
gaming is not where the companies growth is

That is a point worth making. We can all tell from the presentation that the focus of the business is shifting from consumer gaming to corporate analytics, processing, and modeling. With EVGA going away perhaps Nvidia is happy to have 12 months with half of the sales, but still at strong incremental margin. People will stop buying shiny new boxed GPUs when a used but guaranteed to work 3080 can be had for $300 on eBay. The next question is how AMD will respond. Will they align with Nvidia's pricing tiers and put the screws to the consumers, or will they be aggressive and seek to take market share by undercutting the prices?

Giroro

Splendid
Big price hikes, mad power consumption, metaverse crap, and tripling down on semi-dead RT tech that game devs clearly don't want to use. Boy Howdy.
I'm surprised Nvidia had the restraint to avoid a 10 minute dissertation about how Nvidia is going to to revolutionize the game industry with patented NFT minting technology.

Maybe the AI stuff was interesting to the people who care?
On the plus side, AV1 encoding.

Last edited:

saunupe1911

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2016
I wouldn’t mind a 4090 for more COD frames but my 3080 will be just fine. I may cop one sometime next summer if prices fall.

I was also banking on a EVGA 4090 as I just wait out there queue but I assume they won’t do it for the 4000s. Interpreted their statement as the 4000 series would be there last though.

I wouldn’t mind a 4090 for more COD frames but my 3080 will be just fine. I may cop one sometime next summer if prices fall.

I was also banking on a EVGA 4090 as I just wait out there queue but I assume they won’t do it for the 4000s. Interpreted their statement as the 4000 series would be there last though.
No, EVGA were very clear that they will not sell any 4000 series cards and the 3000 series would be their last GPUs.

Reactions: saunupe1911
Jarred, does any of the information released today give you new thoughts or predictions on the cards most people will actually buy, like the 3070 and below?
I've got a full analysis (or at least a deeper one) coming up shortly. Basically, I think 4070 will be delayed as long as possible. However, AMD likely has less of an inventory problem this round and so may not be so keen to wait before pushing out RX 7900 XT, 7800 XT, 7700 XT. I'd love to see AMD take advantage of Nvidia. Still, RDNA 3 likely won't be available in any serious quantity until December at best, and it will probably be the top Navi 31 GPUs at first, with Navi 32 coming in the spring. So if Nvidia can have its way, we won't get RTX 4070 for a few months. We'll see, but obviously prices are higher this round as well — perhaps not as bad as they could have been, but also not great.

If you read between the lines, there are good reasons for EVGA to get out of the GPU business right now. Imagine EVGA staring at a warehouse full of RTX 3070/3080/3090 stuff, knowing the new cards are coming and will inevitably knock down prices on the existing stuff. And if Nvidia is trying to raise the prices it charges to the AIB partners, that's a big issue. Rather than deal with that, plus higher costs of doing business in general, it's just pulling the plug.
It's going to be interesting to see what happens this round. No crypto mining to save prices and inflate demand, and a glut of current gen GPUs, we could see these new cards follow the pattern set by the 3090 Ti. The MSRP was an obscene $1,999, but now it's selling for under $1,099. Will the RTX 4090 drop a few hundred as well? It might have to if RDNA 3 proves competitive. But that's a pretty big if I think, so we'll wait and see what happens in the next 40 days.