News Nvidia RTX 4090 supplies are dwindling, resulting in higher prices — the same thing that happened with past GPU generations

If the 5090's won't be readily available before mid-late January (after the rumoured CES launch on Jan 5th), then nVidia have done this way too early. Missing the entire holiday market for a start - that's leaving a lot of money on the table.

Reactions: 67Matt99

aberkae

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
Great opportunity for AMD to maintain market share by default available supply for 1 whole quarter during holiday season ( with prices in a freefall for rdna 3.)

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
If the 5090's won't be readily available before mid-late January (after the rumoured CES launch on Jan 5th), then nVidia have done this way too early. Missing the entire holiday market for a start - that's leaving a lot of money on the table.
They know it won't make any impact, hence, they are doing it. The problem is, the prices of GPUs have been severely manipulated over the last few years to artificially bump or maintain prices. You may recall reading supply deliberately being reduced to limit the flow so that it won't impact prices. In this case, Nvidia knows for sure that cutting supply this early means there will be a price increase, but you can tell they don't care. And I am pretty sure Blackwell cards will be more expensive based on the trend that any increase in performance will also result in a pretty proportionate increase in price.

Reactions: Heiro78

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
Great opportunity for AMD to maintain market share by default available supply for 1 whole quarter during holiday season ( with prices in a freefall for rdna 3.)
I feel it is an uphill battle for AMD to increase market share. Even for a couple of months, I don't think they will sell enough to move the needle meaningfully. The problem is that most people are grounded in their idea that Nvidia's hardware is always better. It doesn't matter if rasterization is almost the same because AMD falls behind in the "other features" like DLSS and RT. You can tell this is a very prevalent issue. So Nvidia can charge whatever they want because they have successfully established their "advantages" in most people's mindset.

aberkae

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
I feel it is an uphill battle for AMD to increase market share. Even for a couple of months, I don't think they will sell enough to move the needle meaningfully. The problem is that most people are grounded in their idea that Nvidia's hardware is always better. It doesn't matter if rasterization is almost the same because AMD falls behind in the "other features" like DLSS and RT. You can tell this is a very prevalent issue. So Nvidia can charge whatever they want because they have successfully established their "advantages" in most people's mindset.
True hence the word maintain not gain.

Kondamin

Proper
Jun 12, 2024
Those other things include drivers and power use.
Those aren’t minor things
10 years ago they couldn’t compete with nvidia because of the financial situation of the company now they are refusing to even try

valthuer

Upstanding
Oct 26, 2023
I live in Greece and, given the absurd prices in our market right now, anyone looking to buy a 4090, will have difficulty paying less than 2.200€.

I wouldn't be surprised to see 5090 costing as much as 3.000-3.500€.

I don't know if i'll be able to raise enough cash until January 2025, but, if by some miracle i pull it off, i would very much like to buy 5090.

Maebius

Splendid
Feb 17, 2017
How about these guys pleasantly surprise us for a change?*
We'll never forget they're scum, even though we "must" buy their products....
Right now, there are only bad scenarios.
-Hey, 2.5K$, enjoy
-2K$, be thankful it's not 2.5

*like same MSRP as previous gen and adequate availability to get them at that price

hannibal

Distinguished
4090 at $1790 makes 5080 at $1500 to look reasonable good deal. And if 5090 is $2500 as it has been predicted. That also makes 5080 look reasonable good option...
Latest leaks shows that 5070 12gb is about $700 so, there is room for older GPUs to remain in the market without any meaningful price drops! = profit!

But all in all Nvidia knows that by keeping supply low, they can maintain big margins. Also they know based on 4000 series that AMD and Intel can not get any meaningful market share, no matter how much Nvidia gpus cost and how little they put vram on them.
I just can not wait the 5000 series super versions to come to the market with 3Gb memory chips. Nvidia can increase prices 30% and those will fly out of selves, because they finally have "enough" memory, so that AMD or Intel offering are useless to biggest part of the customers.
I should buy more Nvidia stocks while I can...

Jul 12, 2024
They know it won't make any impact, hence, they are doing it. The problem is, the prices of GPUs have been severely manipulated over the last few years to artificially bump or maintain prices. You may recall reading supply deliberately being reduced to limit the flow so that it won't impact prices. In this case, Nvidia knows for sure that cutting supply this early means there will be a price increase, but you can tell they don't care. And I am pretty sure Blackwell cards will be more expensive based on the trend that any increase in performance will also result in a pretty proportionate increase in price.
I don't know about "manipulated." Right now these are resources, commodities if you will. You are a company-for-profit and those commodities are more valuable to your bottom line as commercial products for the AI industry.

AMD, at least for now, has simply given up the market for high-end gaming GPU's. Almost certainly because what they can manufacture makes more profit as an AI product. Nvidia only seems to care the the 4090 exists at the top of the Tom's Hardware gaming GPU list. Even at MSRP it could more profitably use those resources in commercial AI chips so why churn out more?

AI training has simply made it more profitable for them to make AI chips instead of gaming GPU's, especially at the cutting edge.

Aug 1, 2024
Never Let A Crisis Go To Waste, Even If You Have To Manufacture One.

Time to start looking to other GPU manufacture when I upgrade my 3060.
In no hurry now, since I backed off on games and any other GPU intensive programs.

Now that the 'Sharks' have smelled blood, once again, 'They' are on a 'feeding $ frenzy'!

Aug 1, 2024
NVIDIA is reading the 'tea-leaves' and know that this up-and-coming election cycle in the US is going to present some serious unknowns to what can and will happen on a global scale.
I think they are battening down the hatches because regardless of which of the 'entrenched two party system' wins, neither side will be happy. This is pretty much a given.

Aug 1, 2024
Given that Intel is on 'life-support' I guess they have become irrelevant now?

Aug 1, 2024
Those other things include drivers and power use.
Those aren’t minor things
10 years ago they couldn’t compete with nvidia because of the financial situation of the company now they are refusing to even try
Oh, how well NVIDIA must know that know, and they know they have the market cornered and are free to do as they well please.

Aug 1, 2024
I live in Greece and, given the absurd prices in our market right now, anyone looking to buy a 4090, will have difficulty paying less than 2.200€.

I wouldn't be surprised to see 5090 costing as much as 3.000-3.500€.

I don't know if i'll be able to raise enough cash until January 2025, but, if by some miracle i pull it off, i would very much like to buy 5090.
Think twice before you bite because we don't know what CAT Hurricane the global economy will be by then.

Aug 1, 2024
How about these guys pleasantly surprise us for a change?*
We'll never forget they're scum, even though we "must" buy their products....
Right now, there are only bad scenarios.
-Hey, 2.5K$, enjoy
-2K$, be thankful it's not 2.5

*like same MSRP as previous gen and adequate availability to get them at that price
"How about these guys pleasantly surprise us for a change?*

When it comes to $ 'They' will only be true to themselves.
We pretty much see that in all sectors of every widget and service that is being sold today.

Aug 1, 2024
4090 at $1790 makes 5080 at $1500 to look reasonable good deal. And if 5090 is $2500 as it has been predicted. That also makes 5080 look reasonable good option...
Latest leaks shows that 5070 12gb is about $700 so, there is room for older GPUs to remain in the market without any meaningful price drops! = profit!

But all in all Nvidia knows that by keeping supply low, they can maintain big margins. Also they know based on 4000 series that AMD and Intel can not get any meaningful market share, no matter how much Nvidia gpus cost and how little they put vram on them.
I just can not wait the 5000 series super versions to come to the market with 3Gb memory chips. Nvidia can increase prices 30% and those will fly out of selves, because they finally have "enough" memory, so that AMD or Intel offering are useless to biggest part of the customers.
I should buy more Nvidia stocks while I can...
I'm looking at those prices and saying that can potentially be money spend on my mortgage (roof over my head), groceries and car payments. Heat is taken care of for this season.

Heiro78

Great
Nov 20, 2023
Very much this. I remember them cutting back on the 30 series cards expecting demand to be lower. When in reality it was around the time that crypto mining was crashing and regular folks could finally afford em