News Nvidia RTX 50-series Blackwell designs and specifications expected to be finalized this month — RTX 5080 rumored to have 400W TGP

jlake3

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2014
Its contacts in the module factory for Nvidia have also said that the company is preparing five desktop RTX GPUs, so we’ll likely see an RTX 5050 appear on the horizon with this generation of Nvidia graphics cards.
I’m reading this the opposite way? If they’re preparing 5 cards and we know there a 5090 and 5080, the only way they make it down to 5050 is if there’s no Ti cards (unlikely), they don’t count the Ti as a separate GPU (most people discuss them as separate products), or when they say “five GPUs” they mean “five desktop dies”.

valthuer

Upstanding
Oct 26, 2023
@JarredWaltonGPU Sorry to bother you on this one, but, since you 're an expert on the subject, could you please explain to me what does this rumoured power draw translate into? For example, will my 1000W PSU be enough for 5090? Thank you in advance for your time.

@JarredWaltonGPU Sorry to bother you on this one, but, since you 're an expert on the subject, could you please explain to me what does this rumoured power draw translate into? For example, will my 1000W PSU be enough for 5090? Thank you in advance for your time.
So, my general opinion is that you don't want to run a PSU at more than ~70% load. Sure, it's technically possible to do so and should be fine, but I prefer a larger buffer between rated output and used output. So if the 5090 ends up at 600W, that's 60% of a 1000W PSU right there. Add in another 100~200 watts for the CPU and rest of the PC and you're at 70% to 80% load. If you have a high quality PSU, you should be fine. Anyone using an 80 Plus Bronze PSU, I'd start to be concerned.

Your sig says you have a Zalman Wattera 1000W, which from what I can tell launched in 2015. PSUs do age over time, so if that's an up to date system components list in your sig and the 5090 does end up with a 600W TGP rating, I'd seriously consider buying a new 1200W or larger 80 Plus Platinum PSU.

And it perhaps goes without saying, but I'm still very concerned about pulling 600W through a single 16-pin connector, no matter way Nvidia and PCI-SIG say! Those are relatively small wires and connectors and that's a lot of power. I'd be happier with dual 16-pin or even quad 8-pin. If the 5090 has a 550~600 watts TGP, I will be shocked if there aren't more melting connectors down the road.

Notton

Commendable
Dec 29, 2023
More with less?
Nvidia already does that with their RTX 4000 Ada Generation.
It uses the same AD104 die as the RTX 4070, but at significantly less power. It's only slightly slower, but fits in either a LP or single-slot size.

I'd expect similar results with an RTX 4000 Blackwell Generation, whenever it arrives.

valthuer

Upstanding
Oct 26, 2023
Your sig says you have a Zalman Wattera 1000W, which from what I can tell launched in 2015. PSUs do age over time, so if that's an up to date system components list in your sig and the 5090 does end up with a 600W TGP rating, I'd seriously consider buying a new 1200W or larger 80 Plus Platinum PSU.

Thank you for taking the time to explain this to me! That's the exact piece of advice that i was hoping for! Unfortunately, i'm a layman, so i can't figure out what a 600W power draw translates into, in PSU terms. It's always very helpful to know the minimum and recommended suggestions.

So, my general opinion is that you don't want to run a PSU at more than ~70% load. Sure, it's technically possible to do so and should be fine, but I prefer a larger buffer between rated output and used output. So if the 5090 ends up at 600W, that's 60% of a 1000W PSU right there. Add in another 100~200 watts for the CPU and rest of the PC and you're at 70% to 80% load. If you have a high quality PSU, you should be fine. Anyone using an 80 Plus Bronze PSU, I'd start to be concerned.

And it perhaps goes without saying, but I'm still very concerned about pulling 600W through a single 16-pin connector, no matter way Nvidia and PCI-SIG say! Those are relatively small wires and connectors and that's a lot of power. I'd be happier with dual 16-pin or even quad 8-pin. If the 5090 has a 550~600 watts TGP, I will be shocked if there aren't more melting connectors down the road.

+1 to that. I bought a Corsair iXA-1200 back in 2013, put a dedicated fan on the PSU that is always blowing air into it and never demanded more than 500-600 watts out of it. I routinely monitor the intelligent telemetry sensor outputs and all the voltage rails are still within +-0.03 volts of rated voltage.

Heat is the killer of PSU’s, looking at the specifications for capacitors and power regulator components, you will see that they have lifetime ratings for different thermal conditions and it shows that if you can keep the internals well below 100C, a PSU can theoretically last for decades.

Reactions: Sluggotg
realistically "more power" has limits (especially in US) as eventually it'll become too high to function on a breaker.

still cant wait to see NVIDIA try to spin how the 5060 being 5% faster than 4060 but also keeping same shafted memory bus & being more expensive.

I have a Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w PSU that is nearing 5 years old. I would be willing to bet I could run a 5090 on it with no issues. If I did trip an OVP / OCP I would just lower GPU power to 60-80% limit. I ran my EVGA 3080 with the 500w BIOS fine for benchmarking.

That's really interesting to know about the 70% load. I hadn't looked at it exactly like that, and more so have generally factored in extra wattage based on power spikes when thinking or advising on it. Thanks for that.

That's really interesting to know about the 70% load. I hadn't looked at it exactly like that, and more so have generally factored in extra wattage based on power spikes when thinking or advising on it. Thanks for that.
70% is a good rule of thumb because that is the top end of the range a PSU is most efficient at, and as such will save you some money over time. This methodology also is easier on wear and tear for the PSU letting it last longer. This also leaves room for transient spikes that have become very prevalent in recent years.

Reactions: Sluggotg and jlake3

vijosef

Upstanding
Feb 26, 2024
If it consumes more, more probably you have to upgrade your power supply, which adds 200/300$ to the cost of upgrade.

Last edited:

TeamRed2024

Great
Aug 12, 2024
My power bill is already ridiculous. A few more watts isn't gonna make a difference. That being said... looking forward to benchmarks. There's nothing that really pushes the 4090 as of yet... at least until UE5.

If the 5090 is leaps and bounds better than everything else like the 4090 was... I'll probably sell and upgrade. If it's a marginal improvement... probably will hang on to the 4090.