fragglefart

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2003
Hehe! sorry all, i really dont want to start a flame war, but destroy me if you want!
I bought an MSI Nvidia 5900 pro a while back and i love it (in the DX8/Open GL triumphant days :p ), since then there has been the DX9 fiasco and i thought my card was a big poopoo mistake.
i KNOW the Ati 9800 Pro is a far better card, in retrospect! (cant be right all the time- DOH! :D )

Anyhoo- i have seen the awesome performance increase the det 52.14 drivers supposedly bring, and have done a bit of reading on them, and they seem sweet.
I consider this forum to be currently VERY (!!!) Ati based.... not really that surprising, as they ARE the underdog, and currently whoop NV's butts big time.... but i would like to hear what you guys think are wrong with the (currently unreleased) drivers. I have heard temperature increases due to fan slowing (not overclocking, its true, there was a fan interference issue) all the way to "now all the pixel pipelines are working the way they should have, Nvidia have finally sorted out their code"

I know a few of the guys here actually know what they are talking about, so.... have NV really pulled a magic performance rabbit out of their hat, or are we witnessing more optimisations?

Thanks in advance for better, or for worse, from a NV5900Ultra user (with his fingers crossed, big time!!) :S

Render times? You'll find me down the pub...

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
First off, the NV35 has always had all of it's pipes working. Dont be fooled.
As far as the 5x.xx series Dets go, your seeing improvements because Nvidia is getting better at shader restructering/re-ordering. I'm not complaining...I leave that to everyone else.
I'm glad to see that your excited about your new card. Enjoy it.

<b>I help because you suck</b>

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
basically they gained these performance from their CG compliers(i think-_-) and replace the horny monkey running their company back to the original people.

RIP Block Heater....HELLO P4~~~~~
120% nVidia Fanboy
bring it fanATics~~ nVidia PWNS all!
SCREW aBOX! LONG LIVE nBOX!!

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
We're not ATi biased, though I could easily see why someone might feel that way about us considering what's happened as of alte. I guarantee you stinky, that if ATi pulls what nVidia just did & nVidia has a really sweet product line next time around, I'll start reccomending nVidia only in a heartbeat, just like I did for ATi.

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
ya, he was CEO during the FX era!

i hope NV40's called something different

SX-1 anyone ;)

120% nVidia Fanboy

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
I would say so. You've been posting alot more frequently than you were for a while when we were getting about 1 post from you every 2 to 3 days.

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!

fragglefart

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2003
hehe the threads in this place are getting more and more off topic with every passing day! :D
I am loyal to NV 'coz they powered my first pc many moons ago and it was my baby. But i wont pay £££ for a lame dog. Ati are definately on top at the moment IMO
Cheers GW ive heard a few people screaming "not all pipes are activatled" for a while now, and admittedly my knowledge to the precise workings of graphics cards is a bit poo, im not a total tard, but so many people talk rubbish online, you have one of the few voices that make sense! (if only i had listened to your ati9500 advice a few months ago hehe)
But anyway, i persist that the 5900Ultra is ok, please stop slagging it off guys! There always has to be a better card, and right now Ati are performing (quite frankly) bloody awesomely.
Good. Competition is a great thing!

Right. I want to see everyone rip this driver apart if you dare!!! and if not.... yay for my DX9 performance for about a year til i switch over to Ati like a dirty ho! haha

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
what posts? like these ones? they're just ur imagination :D

120% nVidia Fanboy

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
Anywayz what i just said is besides the point. What I'm itching to know is what were your motives for leaving Did you receive my PM - it covered the issue pretty well

fragglefart

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2003
um.. graphics cards?
ermy.... DX9?
urr.. det 5x.xx??
*fraggle throws everyone a beer, as this thread seems to be heading into random territory*

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
damn flamethrower! u just had to ship him to the wrong address! do it right this time!! with UPS too!

120% nVidia Fanboy

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
<font color=green>-_-</font color=green>*********<font color=green>-_-</font color=green>
***<font color=green>-_-</font color=green>***<font color=green>-_-</font color=green>***
******<font color=green>-_-</font color=green>******
***<font color=green>-_-</font color=green>***<font color=green>-_-</font color=green>***
<font color=green>-_-</font color=green>*********<font color=green>-_-</font color=green>

fragglefart

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2003
Cute little smileys dont demonstrate problems with IQ!!!!!!
Damn you all!
Since Microsoft chatrooms closed down its like care in the community on the net! lol

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
Can we nickname you "Stinky"? That would match your name I beleive.

<font color=purple>I know a few of the guys here actually know what they are talking about, so.... have NV really pulled a magic performance rabbit out of their hat, or are we witnessing more optimisations?</font color=purple>

What you are witnessing is a bit of both. They have improved performance of Pixel Shaders a bit, but definitely not enough to account for ALL of the increase in the new DETs, I have a feeling that alot of the gains are partial precision gains, and the question will be if we notice. NO ONE has posted a good review on them with screenies to compare.

Take a look at the Digit-Life article linked to in <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=372845#372845" target="_new">my thread</A> about Pixel Shader performance and the new DETs.

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=372845#372845" target="_new">http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=372845#372845</A>

<font color=purple>
But anyway, i persist that the 5900Ultra is ok, please stop slagging it off guys! There always has to be a better card, and right now Ati are performing (quite frankly) bloody awesomely.
Good. Competition is a great thing!</font color=purple>

Yes Competition is good, but the FX5900U is not. It's not worth the premium price that nV is charging for it. It would be an ok card on it's own, but when put up against it's competition it should be discounted a great deal from the R9800 series. The thing about competition is that people need to BUY the better product and ignore the lesser product (at the same price) in order for it to work fully. People supporting nV just to support nV are muching up the system. If we reward poor products (regardless of them being good in their own right) then true competition isn't being served. However I don't think there are even close to enough people out there willing to sacrifice themselves simply to help nV, so I don't think we have to worry about nV ignoring their shortcomings.

You can call this forum ATI-centric, but the reality is that most of the props to ATI are well deserved, as are most of the criticisms of nV. Personally I'll pimp either one, since my Fanboi Favourite has decided to leave the Gaming Arena, but when it comes to 2D and multi-monitor I'll pimp them. The main thing is to try and be objective. I've promotoed the FX5600U Rev.2 (perhaps to the detriment of some), but that was before the playing field changed.
I still say the FX line is currently dead in the water for most gamers looking for long-term cards, the only exception is in the professional market (and there the Quadros currently Rule the new cards [ I still like the 3Dlabs Wildcat IV(s) ]) where there are different strengths and weaknesses.

Anywhoo that's MY two Loonies worth.

And now it's time to go out and enjoy a few frosty ones.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil: