Nvidia Says GeForce GTX 1060 Will Outperform GTX 980, Founders Edition Will Cost $299

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Probably yield and supply challenges. Nvidia isn't the only one using TSMC's 16 nm fabs, so it makes it more difficult to get the GPU dies as TSMC occasionally has to make dies for other customers. Then there are yield challenges.

AMD undoubtedly has yield challenges as well, but GlobalFoundries likely has less demand for its 14 nm transistors than TSMC.

I honestly expect the next generation of devices from both companies to be less expensive due to increased yields. Unless they move to a new transistor node again, but that seems unlikely.

InvalidError

Titan

What I meant is that the 750s are Maxwell too (the first commercially available) and are one notch below the GTX950, which puts them directly where a GTX940 would have been were it not for the 750 being given a 700-series number instead of a 900-series strictly for marketing reasons: not make the 760-780 look obsolete before the 960-980 launched.

The 750 is the 940 in every way that matters other than marketing model number.

Ahh that makes sense.

monsta

Splendid

the 480 is not $100 cheaper, it retails at $240/250

monsta

Splendid

Exactly ....it is not $100 cheaper

monsta

Splendid

Please provide this evidence to back up your claim, do you have the bench marks for the 1060?
If so I would love to see them.

Samer1970

Admirable
BANNED

nope .. AMD can still make 2x480 single card (300 watts) ...

Besides , They are making every Console chips for 10 years to come ... People buy Consoles more than Gaming PCs

Juan_DarkSamurai

Reputable
Dec 20, 2014
Sadly, most of you are wrong. Nvidia has pretty much handed the Mid-Range / Mainstream trophy to AMD by dropping SLI support on the GTX-1060's. Sure, the 1060 is faster than an RX-480, but the RX-480 in 2 way x-fire is at the heels of a single 1080. Plus RX-480 supports up to 4 way xfire and 3 way is still cheaper than a single 1080, depending on the version. GTX-1060 on the other hand, you're stuck with one card since there's no SLI support. So here's to you Nvidia on giving up on your Multi-GPU Mainstream (Mid-Range) market.

They probably will make dual chip card. The question is "why would any one buy it".
It will probably cost in 500-600 range, will consume a lot of power and generate a lot of heat. But performance in best case will be 50% more than a single card. And in some games it will be 0%.
So best case you get a GTX 1070 performance at higher price, larger card, more heat and some dual gpu issues.
Someone will buy it, most will pick single chip solution.
Regarding consoles ... We are now in that point in the time, where a console can not survive 5-8 years. So console sales will not gain market share. More people are switching to PC gaming because they want over 30FPS at true 1080p resolution with full eye candy. Today, a 200$ graphics card addition to an office PC, will make it better gaming machine than console. Not to mention the flexibility. So AMD are making consoles HW, but at what price ? they were selected mostly because of integration level they can offer (CPU+GPU) and those very low prices. AMD is loosing money. For years.
As a fan fact, AMD producing GPUs, CPUs, Embeded/custom solutions. All that, brought 3.9bn in 2015. Nvidia made 4.7bn.
So the 55mn consoles sold did not help AMD. they ended loosing 660mn while nvidia earned 630mn.
May be, just may be, AMD is doing something wrong.

Wow is that cheaper ?
For CF you will need an expensive PSU, expensive MB, an awesome case with excelent airflow and possibly to put it in a fridge.
Multi gpu market is over rated. and there is no point in CF/SLI anymore as both Vulkan and DX12 offer multiadapter support that does not require any bridges.

Bart_6

Commendable
Jul 8, 2016
"Nvidia said that it will sell its GeForce GTX 1060 Founder's Edition for $299, but the GeForce GTX 1060 itself caries an MSRP of $249, so versions from board partners will be around that price."

I got all excited but then I discovered the Truth

At some sites the price average for the 1070 is around $509 to $530 as I type...

Samer1970

Admirable
BANNED

First , Expect the 2x480 card to be priced $400-$450 ...

second , The PS4 Neo has 4.2 Tflops GPU (GTX 980 speed) and the Xbox Scorpio 6 Tflops (GTX 1070 speed)

The days of slow consoles are OVER

Juan_DarkSamurai

Reputable
Dec 20, 2014

You're right about the dx12 and vulkan features, but multi-adapter support only works if the hardware manufacturer creates the profiles in their drivers. If the profiles aren't there, then there's no functionality. AMD uses GCN which allows their hardware to work with any hardware. Nvidia creates individual profiles for each of their cards.

InvalidError

Titan

Putting a computer in a fridge would be pointless: most fridges' compressors can barely keep up with heat from their 15W lightbulb when the light switch gets stuck. These things are designed to maintain efficiency at high temperature differences, not high cooling throughput. That's why a freezer-fridge takes hours to reach its normal operating temperature when you initially plug it in from room temperature.

Why you are so serious ?
All it meant, that multi GPU will feel much better in a seriously cooled room ~15-20c ambient.
Where I live, the ambient is 35 ATM. so gaming without AC on multi gpu setup is out of question. Even single GPU setup warming the room quite a bit.

This is strictly because supply and demand has not evened out yet with Nvidia's 10xx series cards, you'll also notice that most cards are out of stock because they can't keep them on the shelves. Give it a month or so and the prices will settle down to a little closer to MSRP. And I personally expect the prices on the 1060 to be a little closer to MSRP at the launch for several reasons:

1 - After launching the 1070/1080, Nvidia has clearly seen that these cards are selling like hotcakes and have already said that they are ramping up production for the 1060 launch
2 - This is a budget card, and most people on a budget will be willing to wait it out a while, and will likely not be desperate enough to pay a premium price
3 - They are trying to compete with the 480, which now has the power draw problem figured out, so they need to keep their pricing competitive with AMD or else this card will not sell

And most 1070's are actually in the 400-450$ price range:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125875

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
That's simply untrue. "Performance in best case" can be as high as 80-90% improvement with dual graphics cards. Not that you'll reliably get that kind of scaling though. http://www.tweaktown.com/tweakipedia/91/amd-radeon-r9-390x-crossfire-4k/index.html

Compute performance =/= gaming performance. Looking at FLOPS, the RX 480 should half way in between a 980 and 980 ti. Instead it's right around a 970.

The Moderation team would like to see less use of the call "fanboy!" which just incites ill will.
It would also help if those making assertions that may otherwise inspire that name would present some data to support their positions.
In the interests of civil discourse, thank you for your cooperation.

Pnutt79

Commendable
Jul 7, 2016
NO SLI This pretty much kills this card. the GTX *60 series has always been a favorite to buy and sli for better than a single GTX *80 series card and saving yourself 100 bucks.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

Was SLI-ing GTX x60's really that popular? At least for the 900 series, I seem to remember 960 SLI averaging not much higher than a 970, while costing more, having less consistent performance, and requiring a (more expensive) mobo with SLI support.

Yeah, I think Nvidia is trying to phase out SLI. It makes sense for them, because they would be completely shooting themselves in the foot if they had SLI for the 1060, considering the fact that nobody would buy the 1080 if you could have the same performance for cheaper (if it even achieved the same perforamcne). When you add the fact that not all games support an SLI build, it just makes more sense to roll with a single card.

And they're not targeting the enthusiasts with this card anyway, this card is more for people that currently have 7xx series cards, or amd equivalents as an affordable upgrade. I'll more than likely be buying a 1060 to replace my sapphire 7870.

I disagree that AMD will own the market JUST because SLI is not enabled. Where is the proof that people actually SLI budget cards often? I'm trying to remember the last time I saw a GTX 960 SLI rig. Last I checked only 10% of the entire PC community actually does twin graphics cards (and I'm talking ALL dual card configs, not to mention triple and quad).

Plus, it doesn't make much sense. Just like Nvidia said, SLI is designed to make top end cards perform better. SLI on budget cards just makes them equal to their flagship model, which in some cases it can be cheaper to buy the flagship than buying two budget cards.

Once the RX490 and RX Furies come out, I can pretty much guarantee you that we will hardly be seeing any RX 480 crossfireX builds.

InvalidError

Titan

Once you add in the extra cost of a high quality 650-850W PSU vs a good quality 400-650W PSU and an SLI/CF motherboard, the single higher-end GPU will usually be cheaper.

And then there is the lingering issue of SLI/CF scaling and support: the higher-end GPU will be 60% faster 100% of the time while the SLI setup will be up to 80% less than 20% of the time and in that 20% of the time, many games will have stutter or other issues that the single-card option does not have.

Status
Not open for further replies.